DLC Will Bridge Story Between Mass Effect 2 and 3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
DLC Will Bridge Story Between Mass Effect 2 and 3

Mass Effect 2 [http://masseffect.bioware.com] Producer Casey Hudson says BioWare will bridge the gap to Mass Effect 3 with a "continued stream of DLC," although it'll be quite awhile before the company is ready to actually talk about the new game.

The BioWare [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=74058] has big plans for the future, including DLC that will expand the story beyond the conclusion of Mass Effect 2 and eventually lead into Mass Effect 3.

"We have a bunch of packs that are in the works right now," he told VideoGamer.com [http://www.videogamer.com/news/story_between_me2_and_me3_to_be_told_via_dlc.html]. "So, for the time being there's going to be a continued stream of DLC for people. We'll start to have packs that'll tell the story between Mass Effect 2 and 3. But beyond that we kind of have to see how people are responding to what we have and go from there."

BioWare has a new DLC pack entitled Overlord [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100640-New-Mass-Effect-2-DLC-Coming-in-June-UPDATED] scheduled to come out in June. In it, Commander Shepard and his team will square off against a rogue AI that's taken over a Cerberus base and is trying to get off-planet.

Work on the third game in the series is currently underway but Hudson added, "It probably won't be for quite a few months that we talk about Mass Effect 3."

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Better be good. And long. Bioware can't make DLC for their lives. But something like a full-on expansion, like DA: Awakening, they can do. When it comes to small scale stuff, they fail miserably.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Break said:
...Isn't that what they said about the DLC for the first one?
I believe they said that they would fill the entire other half Galaxy Map with DLC.

What a crock of shit that was, eh?

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
I knew this was going to happen, and I don't like it.

I'm finding it hard even to find the words here, but I cannot see this as anything else than a huge, ginormous even, mistake. If Kasumi is anything to go by, the DLC will not be free, and thus a lot of people are going to miss out on it. And how does this transfer to ME3? Will there be no desiscions to be made so all those who didn't get the DLC won't be completley screwed over?

Bad Bioware, bad. DLC is good for extra content, but as a continuation of the main plot? So many variables to consider, you'd have to be Einstein and Hawking combined to get it right. I'm losing some of my hope for ME3 being the godsend of gaming now.

Also, this Overlord thing sounds like the most bland and uninteresting thing I've seen in a while. Oh noes, not another rogue VI?! Sigh.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
I've heard this story before...

Oh wait, they said the same thing about the original Mass Effect. How'd that turn out?

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Work on the third game in the series is currently underway but Hudson added, "It probably won't be for quite a few months that we talk about Mass Effect 3."

Well thats great news right there :D

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
Goddamn, it's come to this. DLC providing actual story, instead of just add-ons.

luckshot

Jul 18, 2008
Rhayn said:
I knew this was going to happen, and I don't like it.

I'm finding it hard even to find the words here, but I cannot see this as anything else than a huge, ginormous even, mistake. If Kasumi is anything to go by, the DLC will not be free, and thus a lot of people are going to miss out on it. And how does this transfer to ME3? Will there be no desiscions to be made so all those who didn't get the DLC won't be completley screwed over?

Bad Bioware, bad. DLC is good for extra content, but as a continuation of the main plot? So many variables to consider, you'd have to be Einstein and Hawking combined to get it right. I'm losing some of my hope for ME3 being the godsend of gaming now.

Also, this Overlord thing sounds like the most bland and uninteresting thing I've seen in a while. Oh noes, not another rogue VI?! Sigh.
story important dlc...makes me want to chew on my keyboard in frustration and annoyance

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Ah well, if I still gave a shit about BioWare, this might be good news.

As it stands? Meh. I hope it works reasonably well because I'm currently gearing up to sell something similar.

Ravek

Aug 6, 2009
Great, so now people who think DLC is too little value for money will get shafted out of the story experience. Well done Bioware.

Notthatbright

Apr 13, 2010
Ravek said:
Great, so now people who think DLC is too little value for money will get shafted out of the story experience. Well done Bioware.
I like to think of it like this: "Want ME2 to make sense? That'll be $40 extra, thanks!"

Blizzard's doing it with Starcraft. Valve with Half-life. The entire industry thinks games should cost $100 a piece. Fuck em all, I say.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I don't see what the fuss is about the story being filled in with DLC. A lot of games have gaps in between their sequels.

Mass Effect 1 and 2 have about a month. Books filling in the gaps.
Gears of War 1 and 2 have around the same. Gears 3 will be 18 months after (with books filling in the gaps).
I am sure Halo 1 and 2 have a gap between them. Again, books fill them in.
Bioshock 1 and 2 have 10 years.
Half Life 1 and 2 have around 20.

So really the DLC won't give anything that won't be mentioned in Mass Effect 3 anyway. Unless they make it free.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
BioWare has a new DLC pack entitled Overlord [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100640-New-Mass-Effect-2-DLC-Coming-in-June-UPDATED] scheduled to come out in June. In it, Commander Shepard and his team will square off against a rogue AI that's taken over a Cerberus base and is trying to get off-planet.
UGH.

Again???

Is this the third VI to do this now? Is its plan to also run away and alliance with the geth?

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
As long as the DLC is of good quality, this is great.

I have a hard time believing that it will be, though. On the whole, DLC has been a swing and a miss when it comes to value-for-price.

I'll buy it anyway, since I'm totally tsundere for Bioware's DLC.

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq84/DurrHurr/characters/tsun-tsun.png"S-stupid DLC! I'm not buying you because I l-like you or anything! I just want to play more Mass Effect!"

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
The Shale DLC in Dragon Age was cool but most of the other DLC I read about online for these Bioware games sound pretty bad besides maybe the expansion pack for Dragon Age... (i only rented ME2 so I never played the DLC for that, which sounded not so good from what I read)

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
While I loved me some Mass Effect, I'd really, really like it if we could just step away from ripping of the plot of System Shock for a little while. There was even a side-quest in ME2 where pretty much the same thing happens on a very small scale.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well let's hope they know where story in 3 is going fir it.

my intrest though is still strong for it so I will likely keep up to date where I can