Iron Man Fan Creates Functional War Machine Suit

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Iron Man Fan Creates Functional War Machine Suit

What happens when comic books meet cosplay? A frickin' awesome War Machine suit, that's what.

When he heard the new Iron Man [http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Man-Single-Disc-Robert-Downey/dp/B001C08RHA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1276707912&sr=1-1] movie was coming out, long-time fan Anthony Le decided to make his very own functional War Machine suit. The suit is a formidable construction of rivets, washers, high-impact urethane and PVC piping. It features a mock spinning Gatling gun, a motorized faceplate with glowing, red eye openings and an LED arc reactor in the chest. Though the armor is thin, it can take a beating. "You can throw it against the wall, and it won't even be damaged," Le states.

Not only is the armor dent-proof, it's lightweight, too. The entire suit weighs about 13 pounds, and Le says that moving around in it is not an issue. He once wore the suit to a zombie-themed party and was able to get down on the dance floor without any problem.

This isn't the first Iron Man suit Le has made. There have been four other iterations, including an MKV suit and an upgraded version of the Mark VI suit worn in the movie. With the creation of each suit, Le learns a bit more about his craft. "I went from foam board, bondo and fiberglass from past experiences," Le explains. "I use other stuff too, like vacuum forming. It's all cool and all but it doesn't last as long. I started researching into better materials. I found high impact urethane. Most of the biggest challenges is finding what you need. Home Depot is always a good source. I go up and down every aisle."

The War Machine suit took a month and a whopping $4000 to complete, but these costs are well worth it to Le, who uses the suits for charity work. On his website [http://www.masterle.org/], he states that he loves to use the suits to "cheer up sick children" and raise funds for homeless children. During one appearance at a Children's Hospital in Denver, the kids took to the suit so well that the hospital made him his very own ID Card, with the name and picture is for Iron Man, of course. Le has also been contacted for promotional work with Paramount, Guess Jeans and Iron Man 2.

I can't decide which is cooler. The Big Daddy suit [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94583-How-to-Build-the-Most-Intense-Big-Daddy-Costume-Ever], or the Iron Man suit.

Source: Popular Science [http://www.popsci.com/node/45752/?cmpid=enews052010]

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Wow, that's probably one of the coolest things since Cooly Mc'Cool decided to go skinny dipping in the Cool cold Ocean. To put it in a better way.... I Want, I Want, I want.

Okay back into serious mode. I wonder if the suit would be as light if it was weighed down with bullets?.

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
Seems a little disproportionate in some parts..

But I don't give a damn. This suit is awesomer than the awesomest thing in the world and the only thing that would be better than this was a real Iron Man suit.

May 1, 2010
There are some truly amazing people in this world - I'm referring to what he does with the suits he creates - and I'm glad we do have some good apples in the sea of rotten tomatoes.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
A man only needs one thing to show the world that he is awesome; Dedication. And this man has proven it today.

ZehGeek

[-Militaires Sans Frontieres-]
Aug 12, 2009
Oh...my....god....
*nerdgasms till he passes out*
That has got to be one of the most epic things ever. I like the bit more where he likes cheering up sick kids and doing chairty work with it. It's nice when people aren't cold and selfish, and thinks of others for a change.
I know my girlfriend's gonna be "o____________o" when I show this to her, or she sees it. She REALLY REALLY likes Marvel, tis one of the reasons why I love her so much, she's a geek like me. <3

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
By the laws of Geekdom this man has won life. There are many of us that shall never do anything more amazing in our lives than building a robot suit.

Question to the ladies out there: Would you date a man if he had a Iron Man suit?

WorkerMurphey

Jan 24, 2010
Lauren Admire said:
He once wore the suit to a zombie-themed party and was able to get down on the dance floor without any problem.
That must have been a sight to see. Very cool that he uses it for something positive.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
You said functional! He isn't flying, being super strong, and shooting things!
You lied to me Lauren Admire! What did I ever do to you!?

Apr 28, 2008
I will pay any amount of money to get one of those.

Seriously, there is no other moment where this has been the most appropriate:

Seriously, I really, really want one of those.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
My view on Ironman is "meh". My view on this is HOLY FUCKING SHIT WHAT THE FU-BOOOOM

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
Don said:
There are some truly amazing people in this world - I'm referring to what he does with the suits he creates - and I'm glad we do have some good apples in the sea of rotten tomatoes.
You can't make ketchup out of apples. Now rotten tomatoes, those are great!

Pretty cool costume, I guess.

WolfmanNougat

May 14, 2009
Lauren Admire said:
What happens when comic books meet cosplay?
You still get cosplay, stupid. snark snark.

Terminological smartarsery aside, that's a pretty damn decent costume right there! Great detail, great mechanics, great poseability by the looks of it... no wonder he's been contacted for promotional work! A real testament to the true power of passionate costume-making, this guy! Authentic-looking Kratos is one thing but this... just, wow!

Rhymenoceros

Jul 8, 2009
I'm. not gonna lie. That is potentially the most awesome thing I have ever seen. EVER

I want one! I want one! I want one! I want one! I want one!