Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Delayed

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Delayed

The new, and yet still somehow old, Sonic the Hedgehog game has been delayed.

It's a day of mixed news for Sonic fans. On the one hand, there's a new trailer for Sonic 4 (seen above), which shows plenty of old-school Sonic gameplay, as well as the announcement that the game will be coming to the iPhone. On the other hand, Sega has pushed back the release date from "Summer 2010" to "Late 2010".

According to the official Sega blog, the decision to "extend the game's development" was to make "ensure that Sonic 4: Episode I is a game worthy of bearing the weight of its name" by listening to fan suggestions and incorporating them into the design of the game. And considering how passionate hardcore Sonic fans are, it's unlikely that Sega will be lacking feedback.

Source: Game Pro [http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/215234/sonic-the-hedgehog-4-confirmed-for-iphone-delayed-past-the-summer]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Better be getting rid of the rumored mine cart level...Then again, that level didn't look too bad, because the guy playing it in the video clearly sucked at it. He was stopping and starting way too much. Any player with any sort of skill would have that level flowing smoothly as butter. Which is a big part of Sonic's appeal. A smooth flow at high speeds. [http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/04/05/video-sonic-4-footage-has-a-mine-cart-a-mine-cart/]

Back on topic...

THAT TRAILER WAS AWESOME!

I have every confidence that this extra dev time will be used wisely.

And yes, I did link a whole paragraph.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Well at least that gives me more time to save up and get an Xbox, stupid Sega not porting to PC :(

Edit: Linked wrong video, this heat is melting my brain

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
That trailer actually looks pretty good. I was skeptical about this game but it looks like the old school action that we all love is making a true return. It's a shame about the delay though, I was hoping to be playing this over the summer when I have a long break. Late 2010 is less appealing a release date but I will still get it.

RoyalWelsh

Feb 14, 2010
I loved that trailer and im getting more and more excited about this game.

Shame it's delayed, but im sure the develovers will use that time to make Sonic 4 that much better.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
"...listening to fan suggestions and incorporating them into the design of the game"

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Hardcore Sonic fans are the most retarded community on the internet, you really think listening to them is a good idea?

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
I look at this game in the same way that I've looked at Black Mesa Source for the past 5 years or however long it's been - I'd rather wait for a well polished good game rather than them deliver a half-assed rushed game on time. Eagerly awaiting this game.

jamesworkshop said:
eh? Is this spam or just a strange attempt at humour?

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
I don't consider impromptu game delays to be a good sign. But the trailer does look promising.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
the_tramp said:
I look at this game in the same way that I've looked at Black Mesa Source for the past 5 years or however long it's been - I'd rather wait for a well polished good game rather than them deliver a half-assed rushed game on time. Eagerly awaiting this game.

jamesworkshop said:
eh? Is this spam or just a strange attempt at humour?
it was the only way of expressing my excitment

DUDE!!!

SWEET!!!

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
"Sega commented today, saying the primary reason for Sonic 4's delay is to put in 3D levels which, despite online chatter, is what they are sure the true fan-base is looking for."

zakski

Mar 24, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
"Sega commented today, saying the primary reason for Sonic 4's delay is to put in 3D levels which, despite online chatter, is what they are sure the true fan-base is looking for."
And a new sidekick!!! YAY

I wonder how much longer sega is gonna attempt to prop its "dead" mascot and insist that its 'just' sleeping in an attempt to get on the big boys plane.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Yeah that's right guys, put back your release date to listen to the fans that told you...

THE RINGS ARE TOO SHINY!

SONIC'S EYE-LIDS LOOK WRONG!

WAAAAAAAAAH! MY OPINION IS NOT RECOGNISED!

I'd actually be happier if they just flat out told us.

'The hardcore fans are really fucking annoying. So we're just not going to tell you about the changes we're making and make this game how we want. You can blame them.

In closing.

Your eye-lids look wrong!'

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Looks good, and honestly I don't understand why it seemed to have taken Sega so long to figure out that the most successful venture for them would be going back to what they originally had done so well (IE The first couple Sonic games).

Also, I really hope knuckles is in this game. 'cause knuckles is the MAN!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Dosnt surprise me there is a delay...but, I still want it! So bad!

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Normally, a new sonic game would have me rolling my eyes in every which way. The gimics used to make Sonic appealing to new fans has spoiled the series like a an over ripe fruit. But finally we have a return to Sonics roots. The bits that made sonic so great in the first place; pure unadulturated 2D cocaine speed! Awesome. :)

(I enjoyed Sonic Adventures on the Dreamcast. I thought it was a unique direction that flowed well. The games that followed... not so much.)