Mario's Ten Best Guinness World Records

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Mario's Ten Best Guinness World Records

He's Nintendo's famous mascot and one of the most prolific characters in gaming - naturally Mario has more than a few Guinness World Records to his name, and these are ten of his best.

In case you haven't noticed, we here at The Escapist are Mario [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/misc/7583-The-15-Best-Mario-Items-You-Should-Own] today. Like his games or not (and you really should), there's no denying that Mario has made his mark on the entertainment industry. How big a mark, you ask? Big enough for him to have at least ten entries in the Guinness World Records 2010 Gamer's Edition:

[blockquote]*Most prolific video game character: (Mario) The character who has appeared in the largest number of video games is Mario, created by Shigeru Miyamoto of Nintendo, in Kyoto, Japan, in 1982. Mario has appeared in 207 distinct titles including remakes and re-releases.

*Longest-running computer game character: (Mario) Nintendo's Mario character, a plumber by trade, first appeared in the arcade version of Donkey Kong in 1981. Mario has since made an appearance in over 70 games, although he is a "playable" character in only around 30 of these.

*Most successful videogame hero: (Mario) Mario, a computer-generated carpenter created by Shigeru Miyamoto (Japan), first made an appearance under that name in Nintendo's 'Game & Watch' version of Donkey Kong in 1982 (He was otherwise known as "Jumpman" in the original 1981 arcade version of the game). To date, Mario has featured in at least 125 video games that, combined, have sold nearly 200 million copies worldwide.

*Most critically acclaimed 3D platformer: (Super Mario Galaxy) The record for best critical reception for a 3D platformer is held by Super Mario Galaxy, with an outstanding 97.26% and 97% from GameRankings and Metacritic, respectively. The game was praised for its gravity-bending level design and for staying true to the series' nostalgic roots.

*Best-selling videogame series of all time: (Super Mario) With over 201 million copies sold, the Super Mario series is the best-selling gaming franchise in history - across all genres. While the last 28 years have seen the intrepid Mario engaging in a wide variety of activities - including role-playing, medicine and several sports - the series remains firmly rooted in the 2D platforming that first brought it success with the original Donkey Kong in 1981.

*Most prolific party games series: (Mario Party) The most prolific party video game series is Mario Party (Nintendo, 1998), which has seen 11 entries across six formats as of May 2007.

*Best selling non-bundled sports video game: (Sonic and Mario at the Olympic Games) It took Sonic and Mario at the Olympic Games 12 weeks to notch up worldwide sales of 5.5 million making it the bestselling non-bundled sports game of all time.

*Best-selling gaming character cross-over: (Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games) Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games has sold over 7.09 million copies on Wii and 4.22 million on DS since its launch in 2007, making it the most popular game to feature characters that originally starred in their own games. It was the first videogame to feature both iconic characters, who had been rivals for many years as mascots.

*Best-selling racing game: (Mario Kart Wii) In May 2009, Nintendo revealed lifetime sales figures for a number of its Wii and DS games, including Mario Kart Wii. The game's 15.4 million copies sold beats the previous record held by Sony's Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec, which has sold 14.89 million copies. Mario Kart DS is the best-selling racer on a handheld, with 14.61 million copies sold.

*Earliest Nintendo game to feature competitive online play: (Mario Kart DS) The first Nintendo-published game to feature competitive online play was Mario Kart DS in 2005. While earlier online titles included Animal Crossing and Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II, none allowed players to battle each other.

(Thanks to Guinness World Records for sending these over!)[/blockquote]

So there you have it, folks. Mario has been in over 207 games. The Super Mario series has sold over 200 million copies, and that doesn't even count Mario Kart Wii (15.4 million), Mario Kart DS (14.61 million) or Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (a combined 11.31 million).

Holy crap. If you traveled back in time to 1981, would you have ever imagined that Shigeru Miyamoto's unassuming "Jumpman" would have turned out this way?

With that sort of legacy, is there any wonder that Nintendo's mustachioed plumber is the most famous videogame character in the world?

You know what, Mario? You deserve Peach's cake.

For more Mario fun, be sure to check out our Mario Party! [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/misc/7593-Welcome-to-The-Escapists-Mario-Party]

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
*Most prolific video game character: (Mario) The character who has appeared in the largest number of video games is Mario, created by Shigeru Miyamoto of Nintendo, in Kyoto, Japan, in 1982. Mario has appeared in 207 distinct titles including remakes and re-releases.

Hol-y Crap!

I had no idea he was in THAT many!

Reminds me of the Flash Short The Decline of Video Gaming, Mario goes Shopping, Mario pays the Bills!

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I feel sorry for the guys who made Gran Turismo, they spend sooo long making each game and do everything to near perfect detail and still got outsold by Mario Kart!

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
Eh, it's not worth it if it doesn't hold the "most players killed" Guinness record.

I wonder, if you look at deaths that could be directly attributed to a game, what would be the high score and what game would hold it? Berserk supposedly claimed one. Starcraft might have gotten more than that. WoW, mixed with some hilarious real life roleplaying and what could be generally considered insanity, might actually get the high score...

I've gotta research it =o

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
John Funk said:
You know what, Mario? You deserve Peach's cake.
The cake is a lie!

I'm so sorry, I'm ashamed of myself for that...

Also, 207 games? That's impressive. Does that include when the same game has come out on wii and DS? (olympic game crossovers etc...)

pignoli

Oct 27, 2009
I'd say he was close to the least successful video game hero. Peach never stays rescued for long...

Blimey

Nov 10, 2009
Wow, I had no idea.

Well, I won't lie, I got a big old soft-spot in my heart for that pudgy plumber. I remember dumping many quarters into the old Donkey Kong arcade machines way back. My mom would always get annoyed because she would give me my allowance, and the next day I would spend it all in arcade machines. Then they bought the family a SNES one year, and that was it.

I actually have alot of memories of me and my dad sitting on the couch, playing 2 player Mario Bro's.

So thanks Mario, thanks for the memories.

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
Earliest Nintendo game to feature competitive online play: (Mario Kart DS)
not really a guiness world record tho is it, otherwise why can't i be in for being the first Rik Sharp to say squiggleberry stew?

CLEVERSLEAZOID

Mar 4, 2009
John Funk said:
*Earliest Nintendo game to feature competitive online play: (Mario Kart DS) The first Nintendo-published game to feature competitive online play was Mario Kart DS in 2005. While earlier online titles included Animal Crossing and Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II, none allowed players to battle each other.
Wrong, PSO DID have a battle mode. It just wasn't very good, or how the game should have played.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wow... That is alot of accolaids...I didnt know it had that many!

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
Wow. In so many ways, Mario is the holy grail of franchises. And like so many, he just sorta happened. Another like him, may probably never happen again. Especially not deliberately.

JimJamJahar

Dec 18, 2009
I swear, half of the numbers contradict each other

Mario has appeared in 207 distinct titles including remakes and re-releases.
Wow, 207? That's quite a lot.

Mario has since made an appearance in over 70 games, although he is a "playable" character in only around 30 of these.
Wait! You said...

To date, Mario has featured in at least 125 video games that, combined, have sold nearly 200 million copies worldwide.
I'm confused...

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I'm with JimJam on the numbers. I also find it very hard to believe that not a single year of FIFA or Madden reached 5.5 million in 12 weeks.

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
Isn't "Earliest Nintendo game to feature competitive online play" a bit too specific for a Guinness World Record? By that logic shouldn't they have a GWR for each company?

JimJamJahar said:
[snip]
I'm confused...
Yeah... I did notice that too, the only reasoning that I can think of is that they were "achieved" at different times and they haven't bothered to update them or otherwise some of the earlier numbered ones are no longer considered records as the GWR have a habit of randomly deciding that a previously attained one is not considered a record any more.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
JimJamJahar said:

Mario has appeared in 207 distinct titles including remakes and re-releases.
Wow, 207? That's quite a lot.

Mario has since made an appearance in over 70 games, although he is a "playable" character in only around 30 of these.
Wait! You said...

To date, Mario has featured in at least 125 video games that, combined, have sold nearly 200 million copies worldwide.
I'm confused...
Guinness sent these over themselves. Take it up with them!