Zynga Moves to Conquer Earth Through Asia

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Zynga Moves to Conquer Earth Through Asia

Zynga's influence has spread into China, and the rest of the world can't be far behind.

Zynga made its first step into the Asian imaginary farm videogame market this week, announcing the acquisition of XPD Media, a game developer based in Beijing, China. XPD is known for creating games for social networks in Asia, a region where Zynga previously had no presence.

Zynga's Corporate Development VP Robert Goldberg said: "As the largest Internet market in the world, China is at the vanguard for virtual goods based gaming innovation. We expect our new office in Beijing and the incredible talent in the local market to play a strategic role in our mission to create the best social gaming experiences worldwide."

This is corporate talk for: "We're going to get a lot more money now and soon nobody will be able to stop us." Zynga currently does pretty well through offerings on Facebook such as FarmVille and Mafia Wars, so presumably the company will massively strengthen itself by expanding into the enormity of Asia. Zynga's new Bejing studio will be run by Andy Tian, co-founder of XPD Media.

Zynga and Facebook are like two peas in a pod, near split [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100749-Facebook-and-Zynga-Kiss-and-Make-Up]. The question is whether Zynga will be able to gain a similar foothold in the already established Asian social networks, or if it'll run out of dollars and not be able to purchase that limited-time only haunted house without completing some stupid offer. It's a FarmVille thing. If Zynga does do well, what could possibly stop it from next tunneling out a secret lair beneath a volcano and taking over the entire world?

Via: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/28638/Zynga_Expands_To_Asia_With_Chinese_Social_Game_Dev_Acquisition.php]

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
I have a feeling that the Asian approach to gaming (Especially in grindtastic games) Is going to make farmville a hit. And for multiple novels on the best farm-to-animal ratio and such. Farmville is going to GET SERIOUS!

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
They're moving to Asia? Hoo boy, now they're going to rake in some serious profits due to China having a fuckton of grind-loving gamers. Which is most definetly not a good thing.

On the other hand, maybe they'll move to Asia entirely due to Facebook not bringing in enough profits when compared to Asian market. In such implausible situation, it'd be a good thing. But on the other other hand, the "volcano doom fortress" scenario is far more likely.

BioTox

Nov 19, 2009
Google will stop them. There can only be only ruler of the world. Hasn't anyone played Risk? Asia is too hard to hold. :| Too many bordering countries. Google just goes after everything...

*EDIT* Except China... Google hates them =P

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I can only imagine they are now preparing to swim in cash...

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Oooooooooh boy, and I thought we'd beaten Zynga in March Mayhem... the battle was won but the war goes on...

[sub](to those of you who would say that I'm being over dramatic and that MM defeat had no impact on Zynga whatsoever... Oh stop being boring and play along with it! XD[/sub]

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Deofuta said:
I have a feeling that the Asian approach to gaming (Especially in grindtastic games) Is going to make farmville a hit. And for multiple novels on the best farm-to-animal ratio and such. Farmville is going to GET SERIOUS!
Can anyone say, Farmvile tournaments?

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Meh. Games like farmville exist in Asia already with outrageous popularity and we're not dead yet. Besides, all the secret caves underground base spots are already being used by Microsoft, Google, Nintendo, Dr. Evil, A bunch of guys with twirly mustaches, the Templars, McDonalds, A giant moleman, and so on. It's pretty crowded down there.

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
I disagree with the blatant bias against Zynga. It's one thing to have opinions on certain companies, but it isn't responsible reporting to add it into the mix. I might be incorrect in my idea that all forms of articles should be objective and unbiased as much as is possible. Though it never seems to be case when it comes to Zynga on these forums. Which as a respected hub of information concerning all things gaming related, would be expected. Putting Zynga in such a negative light detracts from the core information in the article, exceeding beyond what is necessary. Though this post will likely fall far from eyes of anyone who might be interested in such a concept.

I don't know, it just seems like there is a lot of unnecessary input of bias into something rather innocuous.

newbienator

Jun 26, 2009
AndyFromMonday said:
Deofuta said:
Can anyone say, Farmvile tournaments?
One's that last for months? Yeah I'd rather not.

OT: well you'll have to get them off WoW and SC first.

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
Hopeless Bastard said:
Waif said:
I disagree with the blatant bias against Zynga. It's one thing to have opinions on certain companies, but it isn't responsible reporting to add it into the mix. I might be incorrect in my idea that all forms of articles should be objective and unbiased as much as is possible. Though it never seems to be case when it comes to Zynga on these forums. Which as a respected hub of information concerning all things gaming related, would be expected. Putting Zynga in such a negative light detracts from the core information in the article, exceeding beyond what is necessary. Though this post will likely fall far from eyes of anyone who might be interested in such a concept.

I don't know, it just seems like there is a lot of unnecessary input of bias into something rather innocuous.
In zygna's case, this isn't so much bias as accuracy.

If zygna invented their business model (create threadbare "games" who's sole function is to turn your users into free advertising), that'd be fine. But they didn't. Which means their only success was due entirely to facebook being almost completely unmoderated and unregulated. Then facebook regulates an intensely slight amount, and zygna begins hemorrhaging customers. Not to mention the vp and ceo outright admitting to scamming the shit out of everyone they could.

I doubt they'll get much of a foothold in asia, though. Asians like eye candy with their grind. Which would require hiring at least a few competent employees. Be they artists or simply people with a knack for ripping off other game's assets.
Well I can understand why some people would be critical of Zynga's past mistakes. Indeed, the usage of scammy ads did nothing for the company's image. Though to let that opinion interfere with the telling of the facts is really what I disagree with. It's fine that some people disagree with Zynga, after all I am sure every company has it's detractors. All of which have their reasons, but I do expect some impartiality with informative articles. Whether or not I error in doing so, is perhaps a question of the ages. There are a lot of people who prefer emotionally charged articles rife with opinion and bias. I just don't, I feel that opinions should be up to the reader, not the author. If people reading are in a negative view of the subject matter, then it is fine, because the author isn't promoting hatred on the subject.

I don't know, am I wrong in wanting impartiality in these articles?