Red Dead Redemption Upsets the Irish

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Red Dead Redemption Upsets the Irish

An Irish news site has taken exception to the inclusion of Irish stereotypes in Red Dead Redemption.

Rockstar Games has come under fire for the drunken character "Irish" in Red Dead Redemption [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=74710]. Herald.ie, an online newspaper based in Dublin, took offense at the character, saying: "The stereotype of the drunken Paddy will again be taken advantage of, as the game's town drunk is called 'Irish'," adding that the character "sours the launch" for gamers with Irish heritage.

This isn't the first time that Rockstar has upset ethnic groups with its games. Most notable was the "Kill the Haitians" mission in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City [http://www.gamefly.com/game/xbox/Grand-Theft-Auto-Vice-City/108475/], which resulted in Rockstar releasing a new version of the game with certain lines of dialogue removed after Cuban and Haitian groups complained.

Could "Irish" be removed from future versions of the game? There's certainly a precedent for it.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3179429]

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Ha! I knew who the Irish would complain about before I read this. Hahahaha!
I hated Irish as a character. He was a pain.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Nobody cares what the Irish think (thats probably the English in me speaking though. They are portrayed as drunks in all media, this is'nt the first or last time it will happen. That episode of Family guy for example portrayed all Irishmen as drunken catholic wife beaters.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Kinda weird that this dude is getting all upset about an irish person being depicted as a drunk. I mean I kinda thought at this point it was pretty common knowledge that drinking and being irish Is a common circumstance (and from reading the history of irish people I honestly can't blame ya).

A game about the rough and tumble wild wild west isn't exactly a field for progressive character models what with angry indians and violent mexicans. Oh and whores.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
I personally don't advocate the use of stereotypes, considering I hate how Hollywood portrays people from Louisiana as being super-Cajun coons who live on the boondocks. But really, it has to originate from somewhere, and the only person you need to blame is the jackass who started it.

So, screw you, ancestors of every known stereotype. I hope you're proud of the damage you caused.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009

Get over it; there's really nothing to complain about, other than a minor stereotype which virtually every country has in one form or another.

Jbird said:
I personally don't advocate the use of stereotypes, considering I hate how Hollywood portrays people from Louisiana as being super-Cajun coons who live on the boondocks. But really, it has to originate from somewhere, and the only person you need to blame is the jackass who started it.

So, screw you, ancestors of every known stereotype. I hope you're proud of the damage you caused.
You didn't seriously just say "coons"?

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Dam, so close without any news worthy controversy.

BTW how popular is Family Guy in Ireland?

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
I thought Amaricans really liked Irish? Or am I generalising... oh no! I am using a steriotype!
Clearly the entire country of Amarica must now take some time off apologising to Ireland so they can make me apologise to them!
I don't get why it is that important really.

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
USSR said:
I swear, no one has a sense of humor anymore.
Yeah but this stereotype is actually believed by alot of people which is why theyre getting so pissy.

OT: Im an irish gamer and it didnt sour the launch for me. The fact the game was horribly over-hyped and that I waited this long for what is basically GTA4 in the wild west soured the launch for me.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
In other news, people from the Old West complained that the game greatly exaggerated the level of murder in their towns. Says Wyatt Earp, "Sure, we may embellish the odd shootout to bring in the sweet tourist money," Earp paused here to do a "happy dance", "but this damn game makes it seem like we have hourly genocide!".

More at 11.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Wait, I just remembered from Blazing Saddles, offense words naturally:

All right... we'll give some land to the niggers and the chinks. But we don't want the Irish!

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
tellmeimaninja said:
I think Irish people need to pay attention to just about all of media.
Oh we do. The only reason that this incident is the one being shown on the site is because its gaming related. I doubt the escapist would post a news story everytime an irish man complains about family guy or whatever.

MalevolentJim

Aug 15, 2008
It does grate on me,as an Irish person.But it just proves how pathetically ignorant Americans can be towards the Irish,so I can let it slide.

At least he's not as annoying as The Saboteur..Man he drove me nuts. >.<

Stabby Joe said:
BTW how popular is Family Guy in Ireland?
Very.I sure as hell love it.That particular episode isn't as bad as every Irish stereotype the Fuckin' Simpsons have...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24zdb2YuyKw

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
Woodsey said:

Get over it; there's really nothing to complain about, other than a minor stereotype which virtually every country has in one form or another.

Jbird said:

racepalm

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
RobCoxxy said:
Woodsey said:

Jbird said:

racepalm
Am I missing something?

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Jesus christ, why are people so sensitive these days about next to nothing? If I had been given a cent for every Nazi-Game out there...