Survey: Kids Hate Earth But Love Videogames

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Survey: Kids Hate Earth But Love Videogames

What do kids like more: the Earth or videogames? Take a wild guess.

This week, aircraft manufacturer Airbus released the results of a survey [http://www.cbd.int/doc/press/2010/pr-2010-05-18-airbus-en.pdf] it calls the "Airbus Bio-Index," which aimed to measure the level of importance children and teenagers place environmental issues at in their lives. The findings showed that kids love videogames way more than the planet they play videogames on.

The Bio-Index was conducted with more than 10,000 kids from 10 different countries ranging in age from 5-18. The results found that while 40% of the kids ranked watching television and playing videogames as most important to them, 4% ranked saving the environment the same way. So, while around 400 kids have an interest in looking after Mother Earth, 4000 just want to save imaginary princesses.

The survey also showed that 15% didn't even know what an endangered species was, with 9% ranking protecting animals as an important task. On a positive note, 30% of kids said that going outside is their favorite activity, most likely because they own the Nintendo DS.

According to Airbus, there is "work to be done." The results may show a strong disconnect between the world's children and nature compared with electronic activities, which makes sense, because even playing Wii Music is more fun than getting all sweaty outside planting a shrub. The other issue, however, is how many kids are raised with blinders on to the urgent and usually depressing realities of life. Even though it might scare little Billy, telling him that the Earth won't be a great place to live if not taken care of would probably be a good idea.

Via:GoNintendo [http://news.spong.com/article/21410/Kids-Rate-Video-Games-Higher-than-Saving-the-Planet]

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
It could also be that because of recent developments in the whole global warming thing, many parents have quit telling their children that we are horrible people by destroying the earth.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Well, I'd say that most people do not rank environmental issues on the top of there list of priorities. That doesn't mean they don't care it just means they care about other things more.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Let me say I'd probably be one of those who rank video games above Earth. It's good to know I'm not alone, in fact I'm the freaking majority.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Praise the gods. We're creating more gamers than stuck-up, self-righteous, lobotomized-pleasure-center eco-weenies.

I'm all in favor of saving the earth, even do my best to lower my carbon footprint wherever and whenever possible. But I'm with the kids. I'd rather spend the day playing Fallout 3 than going to some greenie rally.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
They're kids. Saving the world is a grown up thing. Let them be kids just a little while longer. Is that too much to ask? We don't need the next generation becoming world weary before they even need to be.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Well, I think they meant on their own time, as an activity.

Because which is more fun, Kratos, or recycling?

Yay, recycling!

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
lee1287 said:
What's the earth done for me? Video games have taught me lots.
You mean other than being a place to live?

Hmm...
Yeah I see your point...
All the Earth has ever done for me is getting activists trying to make me feel guilty for throwing plastic away in the non-recyclable bin. Incidentally, recycling is bullshit.

Green Peace suing me in 10... 9... 8...

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
Well, what the hell are kids going to do about the environment. Saving the environment from instability requires very grown-up things like new laws, social change, and all that shit.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Kajin said:
They're kids. Saving the world is a grown up thing. Let them be kids just a little while longer. Is that too much to ask? We don't need the next generation becoming world weary before they even need to be.
To be blunt, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
PayJ567 said:
but I recycle
If it's anything other than aluminum you're doing it wrong.

Edit: Because I care about the subject...

This entire 'green movement' is such bullshit.

Connor Lonske

Sep 30, 2008
Now if we get 50 more percent of them to play space games, we will have a public that wants to go to the moon by the time I am in my 50s.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
No one gives a crap about the earth. Soon, we'll all be living in hive cities anyway.

FOR THE GOLDEN THRONE!!!

Connor Lonske said:
Now if we get 50 more percent of them to play space games, we will have a public that wants to go to the moon by the time I am in my 50s.
Obama canceled the moon. Whole thing. Sorry. Its not there anymore.