Sony Hit With 4th "Other OS" Lawsuit

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sony Hit With 4th "Other OS" Lawsuit

A fourth person steps up to sue Sony over the removal of the "Other OS" function on the PS3.

It's not just the United States Air Force [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100631-Air-Force-Might-Be-Troubled-by-PS3-Other-OS-Removal] that's upset with Sony over the removal of the "Other OS" function, as a fourth class action suit has been brought against the company.

Keith Wright of San Diego, California, alleges that Sony "unlawfully forced" PS3 owners to chose between features that had been advertised, as refusal to install the update which removed the "Other OS" option meant that certain basic functions, like connecting to the PlayStation Network, were disabled.

Wright is seeking reparations equal to the cost of the console, injunction relief and other damages for him and anyone else in the class, which is anyone in the US who purchased any non-Slim model of the PlayStation 3 between November 17, 2006 through March 27, 2010 and who did not sell their console before March 27, 2010.

The suit in full can be read here [http://ps3movies.ign.com/ps3/document/article/109/1092140/SonySuit.pdf].

Source: IGN [http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1092140p1.html]

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
I'm amazed that people are getting their panties in a knot over something like this. For the air force it was kind of understandable but people suing for this is just ridiculous.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Can we see details of the other three? It's just that I was informed my university in the UK, the University of Leeds, was one of those who started a lawsuit against Sony because they were using the other OS or something for some research experiments which have now had to be shut down (at least, that's how I understand it). Is that right, or was I misinformed, can anyone tell me?

Sikachu

Apr 20, 2010
LeonLethality said:
I'm amazed that people are getting their panties in a knot over something like this. For the air force it was kind of understandable but people suing for this is just ridiculous.
If sold you a laptop that you ran linux and windows on, and then a few years later updated it to make linux impossible to use, would I have damaged you and in fact removed functionality of your product that you paid for? Should you not have some way to pursue me?

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Sikachu said:
LeonLethality said:
If sold you a laptop that you ran linux and windows on, and then a few years later updated it to make linux impossible to use, would I have damaged you and in fact removed functionality of your product that you paid for? Should you not have some way to pursue me?
At most I would want a refund, I wouldn't sue you for more than I paid.

Malkavian

Jan 22, 2009
LeonLethality said:
Sikachu said:
LeonLethality said:
Isn't that sort of all they are suing for?

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
LeonLethality said:
People sue over almost anything nowadays, but this is a little more understandable. Removing the Other OS feature from the origonal PS3 models is a dick move on Sony's part due to how it was an advertised feature at first. And for the moment if people keep the Other OS thing, there's far more things they won't be able to do, mostly related to PSN.

Sikachu

Apr 20, 2010
LeonLethality said:
Sikachu said:
LeonLethality said:
I doubt they'll get much more than a refund (+costs). Very rarely will you see a lawsuit where the lawyers have not inflated the claim in every possible direction. You're right about the greed being wrong.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
People, they smell a chance to make a quick buck from moaning and they jump to it. I think its well within Sony's right to remove an option from THEIR machine

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
Here comes the shitstorm. Why doesnt sony just save face while it has the change and re-install the other OS option

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Maybe they don't like the fact that they were lied to, and are having an option them swung them into buying a console removed without prior warning?

This is a perfectly legitimate lawsuit, doubly so for the people using the other os feature.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
most of these people probably didn't even use it, which is the worst part.

Olikunmissile

Jul 16, 2008
If they just changed it back already this wouldn't be a problem >.>

"oh noes we haz been haxd." Locks were made to be opened and it won't be too long until people hack the normal PS3 OS, then what? They'll just remove that?

I hate retards suing for everything.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Longshot said:
Isn't that sort of all they are suing for?
From what I read they are suing for a bit more
MGlBlaze said:
LeonLethality said:
People sue over almost anything nowadays, but this is a little more understandable. Removing the Other OS feature from the origonal PS3 models is a dick move on Sony's part due to how it was an advertised feature at first. And for the moment if people keep the Other OS thing, there's far more things they won't be able to do, mostly related to PSN.
I can understand how one would be angry at Sony for removing an advertised feature but asking for anything more than a refund is just being greedy.

razormint21

Mar 29, 2010
Hahahaha Sony, you use the "other OS" option to entice potential markets into commiting an expensive investment, then you coil it back when it threatens to destroy your monopoly with third party piracy.

Hahahahaha, oh well, it's the developer's call, let's see if Sony would yield...

poppabaggins

May 29, 2009
wooty said:
I think its well within Sony's right to remove an option from THEIR machine
By this standard, Sony could remove the ability to play games. Imagine the situation where the ps4 comes out, so Sony stops the ps3 from being able to play games to get more ps4 sales. Doesn't this sound ridiculous? But you're saying it should be legal, and Sony is saying that it is.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Wouldn't you only earn a small amount of money for that? I mean, they didn't brick the console they just took one of the many features out. It even made it more secure hacking-wise, so I don't understand the huge deal that's being made.
Someone willing to enlighten me?

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
poppabaggins said:
wooty said:
By this standard, Sony could remove the ability to play games. Imagine the situation where the ps4 comes out, so Sony stops the ps3 from being able to play games to get more ps4 sales. Doesn't this sound ridiculous? But you're saying it should be legal, and Sony is saying that it is.
But there is a difference between removing a feature which only a small percentage of people use to make the machine more secure and removing the primary function of the console.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
poppabaggins said:
wooty said:
By this standard, Sony could remove the ability to play games. Imagine the situation where the ps4 comes out, so Sony stops the ps3 from being able to play games to get more ps4 sales. Doesn't this sound ridiculous?
They did that with the PS3/PS2 backwards compatibility, there was a little angst, but nothing along the lines of a lawsuit.