Playing Videogames is Like Snorting Coke, Says Therapist

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Playing Videogames is Like Snorting Coke, Says Therapist

In the latest spasm of anti-game hyperbole, a therapist in the U.K. has claimed that two hours of gaming generates the same kind of high as doing a line of coke.

The Lancashire Evening Post [http://www.lep.co.uk/lifestyle/gaming_addiction_grips_youngsters_1_773488] has apparently "discovered" that hordes of young children have become dangerously addicted to videogames and that more and more are "seeking professional help after becoming hooked on the fantasy word of console games." Three out of five kids under the age of 16 play games to the point that it's cause for concern, the report said, while four out of five under the age of ten play games "at levels showing signs of addiction." Four out of five!

Why do these games have such a powerful grip on our children? According to one "expert," the reason is simple. "Spending two hours on a game station is equivalent to taking a line of cocaine in the high it produces," said counselor and therapist Steve Pope. "It is the fastest growing addiction in the country and this is affecting young people mentally, as well as leading to physical problems such as obesity."

"I saw one 14-year-old Preston boy who played on games for 24 hours non-stop and had not eaten and was showing signs of dehydration. When his parents tried to take his console away, he became aggressive and threatened to jump out of a window," he continued. "Computer game addiction can also spiral into violence as after playing violent games, they may turn their fantasy games into reality."

And it's not just children who are being victimized. Pope said that he is currently working with a 74-year-old grandmother who's addicted to online poker, her daughter, who's addicted to eBay and her granddaughter, who is addicted to Facebook. "The poisoned chalice is being handed down through the generations," he warned.

Even professional athletes are struggling with the negative affects of gaming addiction. "Many footballers are playing on hand-held consoles and computer games before a game and this is resulting in a natural high which is causing a chemical imbalance which is leading to them not performing their best on the pitch," Pope explained. "I am the psychotherapist for Fleetwood Town and they ban their players from using any form of console for at least 24 hours before a game."

One 49-year-old mother who wished to remain anonymous bought Call of Duty [http://www.callofduty.com] for her son but realized only in hindsight what an impact it had on him. "Now that I look back on it, it's like I went out and bought him his first shot of whiskey," she said.

Gayle Brewer, a senior lecturer in psychology at the University of Central Lancashire [http://www.uclan.ac.uk/] and whose living is presumably somewhat less dependent upon keeping people convinced that they're desperately in need of her help, took a bit of a more balanced approach. "It is important to find a balance," she said. "It is easier for parents if they set ground rules from the start about how long their child is allowed to spend on these types of games."

The U.K. Interactive Entertainment Association [http://www.elspa.com/] declined to comment on the matter and "whether they believed it was an issue they needed to tackle," which is hopefully a polite way of saying that it refused to dignify such stupidity with a response. The Lancashire Evening Post, meanwhile, promised to follow up with a "full special report" in last night's print edition.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
It's not the video games fault for being fun, it's the parents fault for allowing young children who aren't mature enough to play games. The parents should atleast try to monitor their children's time on games aswell.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Fuck no.
I know gamers, and sadly, I know people on crack.

Like HELL it is the same thing. If it were, I would hate video games with all my capacity for hate. This kind of sentiment makes people not take real drug problems seriously.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Yeah well...

You wanna play rough? Say hello to my little fireflower AGGGGGGH
I ain't addicted to nothing!

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
If thats true then call me Junkie MacStoner Pants. (Honestly how is it the same? You don't get physical cravings)

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
When will people start blaming bad parenting for shit like this instead of looking for scapegoats?

Seriously if your child becomes violent at the mere mention of taking away his games, how about you try being, you know, an actual parent, and disciplining him.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
If there's a 14-year old who's going to die from playing hunger after playing games too much, let him.
Then give him a Darwin award.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Yet another foundless claim by idiots who hate videogames.

Videogames are no where near as addictive as coke, and even if they where, videogames are far less dangerous...

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Flamezdudes said:
It's not the video games fault for being fun, it's the parents fault for allowing young children who aren't mature enough to play games. The parents should atleast try to monitor their children's time on games aswell.
Yup so true instead of blaming video games how bout they blame...
[HEADING=1] THE FUCKING PARENTS [/HEADING]

Sikachu

Apr 20, 2010
Videogames, like cocaine, are wonderful ways to enjoy your journey towards death if they are used within reasonable limits. Doing either all the time is bad for you, and this study seems to confirm what everyone knows - bad parenting=irresponsible children.

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
This "The Rapist" (I love me some SNL), is a wackjob, but he's a convincing wackjob. Can someone please do some digging and discredit him with his own past? Anyone this stupid must have drove drunk, or hit a child with a wiffle bat, or cheated on his University Exams or something.

Hey, maybe he had a coke addiction? That'd be good.

If the sleazy route isn't a option, let's just put him in front a sane person on national television for a few minutes.

Psycho: "Gaming is like Coke Addiction!"

Sane person: "Sure, except that gaming is legal, has no physically addictive properties, doesn't damage your body in any direction fashion and has an addiction rate of around 3%"

Psycho: "Ah-Ha! Not true! 4 out of 5 people under 16 years old showed serious signs of addiction."

Sane Person :"True, but they have nothing else going on. They have no car, they have no job and they have no responsibilities. Funny how those things all take away from their gaming addition.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Blah blah blah.

Hopefully the moron that made that comparison will no longer be taken seriously anywhere.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
OH FOR FUCKS SAKE! I wish they would leave our damn hobby alone, and go blame something else for everything.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
Dude you can relate anything to snorting coke, you can relate eating at a restaurant over and over to snorting coke.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
I'm sorry, I can't read this... I'm too high right now after playing Metal Gear Solid 3.

Calumon: *Unconcious on the floor after an hour on ModNation Racers*

Jack: Guess Calumon can't handllleee... *THUMP*

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Comparing video games to lethal drugs? That therapist should know that people who plays games knows self control.

gonzo20

Dec 18, 2008
its the same? then how come i dont see no fairys, just bloodlust rage at modern warfare 2? yeah, its TOTTALY the same thing! give me a degree so i can start making fairy tales up to

Z(ombie)fan

Mar 12, 2010
Erana said:
Fuck no.
I know gamers, and sadly, I know people on crack.

Like HELL it is the same thing. If it were, I would hate video games with all my capacity for hate.
He said "Cocaine" *obnoxious laugh*

but yea, this guy is just the same kind of dumbass as atkinson.

there is nothing WRONG with the games:
if its effecting them psychologically, then hey guess what:

A. its the world's most effective horror game.

or B.

there is something WRONG. With the KID.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
You KNOW that this assertion is a load of crap. If playing a video game is like snorting coke, then what is getting laid like? What is winning a hard fought game of sports like? What is a rollercoaster ride like?

The media must surely understand that simply being a STUDY doesn't make any of the conclusions TRUE. Think about it for a second. One man 'proved' that the world's governments were controlled by lizardine aliens by using a map of Washington DC! Yes, DC is real, and so is the layout of the streets. So are the markings on the map. The problem lies in the interpretation.

Games NOT like cocain, and this so called scientist should be ashamed of himself. But he probably is not, because he's probably working for the anti-gaming organisations. Scientists once proved that willful women needed holes punched through their skulls. Not much earlier than that, similar authority figures 'proved' they needed to be burnt alive.

A 'badge' doesn't make anybody 'right'.

EDIT - oh and about games 'leading to obesity': you would think somebody skilled in research would know the difference between CAUSATION and CORRELATION. Working in an office ALSO 'leads to obesity'. Being a successful business person does too. No doubt, being a good father or mother could as well, if to be that person one needs to work hard in a sedentry job and deal with a tonne of stress. With the right (wrong?) conditions, being a world class pianist, getting a PHD, or even being the world's greatest philanthropist could ALSO 'lead to obesity'.

What ACTUALLY leads to obesity? Sedentry lifestyles, bad diets, lack of exercise, genetic disorders. Except for the latter, what can lead to these causative factors:

* working in a chair all day, everyday.
* studying in a chair all day, everyday.
* driving in a chair all day, everyday.
* not eating well because you have no time.
* not exercising because you have no time.

and you get my point. Let's get right on to the business of banning most of what the modern world is based on. We have so much technology which could FREE US but we only use as an excuse to work longer.