Killzone 3 Coming In 3D

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Killzone 3 Coming In 3D

The third installment of Sony's premier FPS franchise is on its way, and it will be popping out at you from the TV.

Back in March, it was rumored that Sony was bringing explicitly promised that the title would come [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99181-Rumor-Killzone-3-Takes-On-Gears-3-Next-April]. At an event in Amsterdam, journalists were shown the first glimpses of Guerrilla's upcoming shooter - and it was revealed that the game would support (optional) 3D functionality.

Killzone 2 [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/05/24/killzone-3-announced-and-playable-in-3d/] left off, and is a "a much grander experience in terms of scale and ambition." There will be more close-range attacks called Brutal Melee attacks, there will be more varied and "massive" environments and a broader look at the planet Helghan instead of the "Hey guys, this is the Space Nazi world" treatment we saw in Killzone 2.

The game is rumored to make a full debut in this month's GamePro magazine, according to a GameSpot community member [http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27322649&page=0] who claimed to have received his issue early. Though none of this information is confirmed, here's a bit of what the poster claims is in the reveal:

[blockquote] Will show the Helghast have humanity left in them.

- Will have the feeling that "of being in a place far away from home, outnumbered by people who want to kill you."

- Will be like Inglorious Basterds.

- All of the characters in the screenshots are flying in.. jetpacks?!

- Will include arctic levels.

- Have to wear 3D glasses, apparently the 3D effects are "crazy."

- Combat is "unchanged from predecessor."

- Or is it? Hand to hand combat involves you "Unloading a string of different (and often brutal) attacks on stunned enemies."

- The scale is supposed to be "bigger this time."

- The Jetpacks are "surprisingly lightweight and agile, Killzone 3's jetpack is easier to maneuver compared to the sluggish incarnations of the gadget found in other games."

- New weapon called the Wasp, basically shoots a "flurry of rockets" at an enemy.

- Will show off the Helghast culture.

- There is actually a Helghast language, which will be explored in the game.

- Jetpacks double as a weapon, which basically means a machine gun mounted right on top of it.

- If you shoot Helghast with jetpacks, they'll "explode like roman candles"

- To control the jetpack, you "have to activate bursts of speed in midair, propelling yourself across further distances."

- The Jetpack resembles something you'd do in platformers such as Super Mario Bros. Or Uncharted[/blockquote]

Oh man, did you hear that? Screw 3D - this game will have jetpacks!

(Via MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/05/24/killzone-3-announced-and-coming-in-3d/])

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
Eh the only thing that 3D could do for killzone is make the all the rocket launchers in multiplayer slighty more fun to look at while you get blown up.

Seriously though I dont have the money for this even if I wanted to. I havent got a bloody HD tv and killzone 2 still looks amazing on my 5 year old brick.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
So I should play Killzone 2 or should I give this franchise a miss, but all that sounds like such a god damn excellent game!

Calumon: an Excellent game... IIINNNN THRRRREEEEEE DEEEEEE!

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Why is everyone jumping on the jetpack bandwagon? Hopefully the controls won't suck like Killzone 2.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
DividedUnity said:
Eh the only thing that 3D could do for killzone is make the all the rocket launchers in multiplayer slighty more fun to look at while you get blown up.

Seriously though I dont have the money for this even if I wanted to. I havent got a bloody HD tv and killzone 2 still looks amazing on my 5 year old brick.
I was lucky enough to go from SD Killzone 2 to HD KillZone 2, and jebus the graphics are stunning on either on but on HD the incidental things that you don't really notice stand out just makes it more believable. One thing though is the fire in Salumon District, on HD on closer scrutiny it looks like it doesn't belong.

Jack and Calumon said:
So I should play Killzone 2 or should I give this franchise a miss, but all that sounds like such a god damn excellent game!

Calumon: an Excellent game... IIINNNN THRRRREEEEEE DEEEEEE!
Why not rent it first to see if it warrants a purchase.

I'm hugely excited for this game, now that Guerrilla have bolted the game engine down they're efforts can be put to giving us a proper story instead of making a graphics engine.

A very pretty graphics engine but still, more story.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
All well and good for people who can view it...

I hope this won't become a staple standard and consideration for people like myself will still be included

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Jack and Calumon said:
If you can't play a game with rough and sluggish control and animation (a stark contrast to Call of Duty, as an example) then don't even bother.

That said, I loved Killzone 2, and highly encourage you at least try it.

As Sush has suggested - rent it.

OT: Excited to see another Killzone, and one that expands upon what made the second falter.

ColdStorage said:
Hazy said:
If you can't play a game with rough and sluggish control and animation (a stark contrast to Call of Duty, as an example) then don't even bother.

AHHH ARGHH !! *foams at the mouth*

NO THEY ARE NOT SLUGGISH!!

I disagree. I found them to be very sluggish, but they were sluggish with a purpose - not just because the developers were too lazy to fine tune the controls.

DigitalSushi

Dec 24, 2008
Marik2 said:
Why is everyone jumping on the jetpack bandwagon? Hopefully the controls won't suck like Killzone 2.
The controls in KillZone 2 do not suck, they have a weight and purpose to them, get used to it and your good to go.

Because some very vocal members banged on about how the controls were fucked I actually completed the game on Elite with the old style controls (including the huge dead zone on the right stick) and I managed to kill Radec in under 20 minutes with them too.

So no, the controls do not suck, you just didn't get used to them and chances are your too used to the floaty controls of Halo and COD.

Hazy said:

AHHH ARGHH !! *foams at the mouth*

NO THEY ARE NOT SLUGGISH!!

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
ColdStorage said:
Marik2 said:
The controls in KillZone 2 do not suck, they have a weight and purpose to them, get used to it and your good to go.

Because some very vocal members banged on about how the controls were fucked I actually completed the game on Elite with the old style controls (including the huge dead zone on the right stick) and I managed to kill Radec in under 20 minutes with them too.

So no, the controls do not suck, you just didn't get used to them and chances are your too used to the floaty controls of Halo and COD.
So much truth has just been spoken.

Killzone 2's controls have some actual weight to them. You won't see people gliding across the map and streaking for kills like you would in Call of Duty. It just isn't that kind of game.

Your character is bogged down with equipment, and will have the sluggish movement to show for it, and I hope they keep that design with the third iteration.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
ColdStorage said:
Marik2 said:

I know about the weighted system that didn't bother me. What bothered me was the cover system when you had to hold down L2 while trying to shoot it just made my hand all cramped up. I tried to beat it on Elite but I got stuck on that bridge level so I just stopped.

DigitalSushi

Dec 24, 2008
Hazy said:
ColdStorage said:
Marik2 said:

So much truth has just been spoken.

Killzone 2's controls have some actual weight to them. You won't see people gliding across the map and streaking for kills like you would in Call of Duty. It just isn't that kind of game.

Your character is bogged down with equipment, and will have the sluggish movement to show for it, and I hope they keep that design with the third iteration.
I hope the controls are kept, in fact if your PS3 is connected to the internet KillZone wont let you play until you download the patch that tightens up the control system such as smoother aiming and a much much smaller deadzone in the analogue sticks.

You may have missed it, but I've had to download it twice so I've gone from "old scheme" to "new scheme" and back again, I can say that the slight tweaks make a huge difference, but the single player campaign can be played perfectly well with the old style treacle slow controls, since thats what it was designed with in mind. multiplayer, not so much.

DigitalSushi

Dec 24, 2008
Marik2 said:
ColdStorage said:
Marik2 said:

I know about the weighted system that didn't bother me. What bothered me was the cover system when you had to hold down L2 while trying to shoot it just made my hand all cramped up. I tried to beat it on Elite but I got stuck on that bridge level so I just stopped.
Did you have iron sights set to the right analogue stick?, because thats how the single player campaign should be played with, its easier that way.

Funny that, I get cramp using an Xbox controller in fighting games.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
ColdStorage said:
Marik2 said:
ColdStorage said:
Marik2 said:

Did you have iron sights set to the right analogue stick?, because thats how the single player campaign should be played with, its easier that way.

Funny that, I get cramp using an Xbox controller in fighting games.
Yeah I did, but I still get hand cramps all the time, I guess its just the shape of the controller. And I didn't like Killzone 2 mainly because the characters were bland and were assholes, the graphics were nice but it basically all Black and White. Yeah the AI was impressive, but theres just something about the campaign that just didn't click for me.

DigitalSushi

Dec 24, 2008
Marik2 said:
Yeah I did, but I still get hand cramps all the time, I guess its just the shape of the controller. And I didn't like Killzone 2 mainly because the characters were bland and were assholes, the graphics were nice but it basically all Black and White. Yeah the AI was impressive, but theres just something about the campaign that just didn't click for me.
Like I said, funny that, I get cramps from the Xbox controller, I can only play crackdown and Half Life 2 with zero problems.

With the story and characters I think they were made to be assholes on purpose, much like the heavy control system, if you know the timeline then the ISA aren't the Scouts Honour type and the Helghast aren't the all out bad guys for the sake of being bad. If it wasn't for the Helghan then the ISA wouldn't exist because it was Helghast money that funded the colonies to overthrow Helghan Corps with advances in "fuck you up" technology.

Vekta was actually the Helghan homeworld, they got kicked out and shoved onto a fuck hole after they bought themselves out of the Earth colonies, the money to buy themselves out went into the war effort to take over Vekta, they just want Vekta back.

Its the tiny subtleties that make the big story, granted in KillZone 2 it was just "HEY I FUCKED YOUR MOM" but I think thats what GG and Sony were aiming for and everyone missed it.

Three things I want changed for the next iteration;
1) Women, I want women that are fighters too, not masked or not "crazy particle physics experts" only... I want women fighting with me, KillZone 2 had a severe lack of breasticles and Killzone 1 had a masked unlikable *****.

in online games
2) The shotgun, reduce its power and remove its "auto track" ability, the Engineer is by far the strongest class and it has auto aim, thats stupidly powerful, tone the fucker down.

3) Keep the Scout class (sniper) at the same level, do not increase his potential because you'll get all the idiots using him, I like him being weak because I play as him exclusively and I don't want everyone else running arround looking like an Evil Sonic the Hedgehog. Seriously, Scout Class is for me.

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
Marik2 said:
Finally I've found someone who agrees with me about this. Killzone 2 was otherwise a pretty good game but the controls constantly annoyed me.

It still seems to me that Sony is taking this series a bit too seriously. Honestly: Does anyone really care about Killzone? I always felt the Resistance series had more potential, at least before the second one tanked.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Suskie said:
Marik2 said:
Finally I've found someone who agrees with me about this. Killzone 2 was otherwise a pretty good game but the controls constantly annoyed me.

It still seems to me that Sony is taking this series a bit too seriously. Honestly: Does anyone really care about Killzone? I always felt the Resistance series had more potential, at least before the second one tanked.
Yeah Resistance 2 was very dissapointing to me they just made it into COD. The first game felt unique and the health system went along with the story the second game just took it all away and made it into every other shooter.

ColdStorage said:
Marik2 said:
Like I said, funny that, I get cramps from the Xbox controller, I can only play crackdown and Half Life 2 with zero problems.

With the story and characters I think they were made to be assholes on purpose, much like the heavy control system, if you know the timeline then the ISA aren't the Scouts Honour type and the Helghast aren't the all out bad guys for the sake of being bad. If it wasn't for the Helghan then the ISA wouldn't exist because it was Helghast money that funded the colonies to overthrow Helghan Corps with advances in "fuck you up" technology.

Vekta was actually the Helghan homeworld, they got kicked out and shoved onto a fuck hole after they bought themselves out of the Earth colonies, the money to buy themselves out went into the war effort to take over Vekta, they just want Vekta back.

Its the tiny subtleties that make the big story, granted in KillZone 2 it was just "HEY I FUCKED YOUR MOM" but I think thats what GG and Sony were aiming for and everyone missed it.

Three things I want changed for the next iteration;
1) Women, I want women that are fighters too, not masked or not "crazy particle physics experts" only... I want women fighting with me, KillZone 2 had a severe lack of breasticles and Killzone 1 had a masked unlikable *****.

in online games
2) The shotgun, reduce its power and remove its "auto track" ability, the Engineer is by far the strongest class and it has auto aim, thats stupidly powerful, tone the fucker down.

3) Keep the Scout class (sniper) at the same level, do not increase his potential because you'll get all the idiots using him, I like him being weak because I play as him exclusively and I don't want everyone else running arround looking like an Evil Sonic the Hedgehog. Seriously, Scout Class is for me.
Yeah I was able to understand that from playing Kilzzone 2 about the Helghast not being as bad as people thought they were. Oh and I realised why I didn't like the campaign, because to me it felt like...
[HEADING=1] YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN STOP THEM [/HEADING]
Yes most shooters are like that, but in Killzone your not a super soldier your just like everyone else.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
I own a 3D tv and while I'm intrigued by this, I'm wondering how long you will actually be able to play. The glasses already give me a headache after 30 minutes and with all the quick moving, I would think that would turn into motion sickness.

Then again, why the hell not! There is only one 3D movie out at the moment, so I need some extra content.

Side Note: The TV can turn any signal "into 3D", so I watched Star Wars this weekend. While most was "eh", the lightsaber battle in Return of the Jedi was BADASS!

DigitalSushi

Dec 24, 2008
Marik2 said:
Yeah I was able to understand that from playing Kilzzone 2 about the Helghast not being as bad as people thought they were. Oh and I realised why I didn't like the campaign, because to me it felt like...
[HEADING=1] YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN STOP THEM [/HEADING]
Yes most shooters are like that, but in Killzone your not a super soldier your just like everyone else.
Oh god yeah, you got to the bridge, I forgot, unfortunatly its one of the better firefights (on the bridge), but the whole thing were Sev jumps from cover to cover while everyone else gets ripped to shreds and then "slow motion jump to safety" when tank blows up is fucking juvenile.

It gets better children, after the helghast have laid waste to your entire platoon, its OK children!, Rico wants Sev to put the bridge up all on his own.... the fact that almost everyone died doesn't matter, Sev's ok and he's going to press a button.

He's going to press it hard bitches!.