Blizzard Predicts Renewed WoW Growth in 2010

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Blizzard Predicts Renewed WoW Growth in 2010

Blizzard Entertainment says that despite its subscriber base being flat since the end of 2008, there's still plenty of opportunity for World of Warcraft [http://www.worldofwarcraft.com] to grow, particularly after Cataclysm launches later this year.

After years of non-stop growth, World of Warcraft [http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Pc/dp/B000067FDW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276636450&sr=1-3] subscriber numbers hit 11.5 million in December 2008 and stayed there, having seemingly (and finally) hit the wall. It's not the worst problem to have; at 15 bucks a month it means that Blizzard is bringing in just north of $2 billion every year. I can't imagine how that figure could possibly be right but that's what my calculator says and that's good enough for me.

But it's not good enough for Blizzard [http://www.blizzard.com], apparently. Frank Pearce, the executive vice president of product development, said the company expects the growth to resume this year, thanks in large part to improved access to the Chinese market.

"In China, for example, we haven't even launched The Burning Crusade [http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Wrath-Lich-Expansion-Mac/dp/B000VJTJNE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276636498&sr=1-1] there, because we're waiting for approval for Wrath from the appropriate agencies. And once we get that approval and launch Wrath in China then I think we will see growth."

Blizzard anticipates a surge in interest among Western gamers as well once the new expansion is released, presumably later this year. "Whenever we launch an expansion we usually see some win-back from players who have set WoW aside temporarily," he continued. "Hopefully we will get some people back from Cataclysm [http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/cataclysm/] as well. I don't think 11.5 million is a peak, necessarily, but there are certain things that we need to do and need to do well in order to see it go further."

The Chinese market will no doubt provide a big jump when Lich King becomes available but will Cataclysm be enough to recapture the attention of gamers closer to home? What say you, WoWers?

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
TheSkaAssassin said:
Not gonna lie, I'll probably jump back in once Cataclysm is released.
Me too. I wasn't at a decent level for raiding in Wrath of the Lich King and I was too far behind the pack to really start, so I quit and now I'll wait. Maybe I'll start again a bit before release, to familairise myself and get some pimp mounts.

Shaegor

Oct 29, 2009
TheSkaAssassin said:
Aye, redoing the vanilla world was pretty much the only thing they could have possibly done to get me back, the bastards.

Kasawd

Jun 1, 2009
Well, I should think a new expansion would at least drag back old players. Also, with the massive increase of low level content and re-tooling of Azeroth, they could easily drag in new players who now don't have to worry about being a level eleven i na world of 80's.

I can't WAIT to roll Goblin.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
I'm sill on burning crusade. What worries me is finding the money to keep up so I'm not 2 expansion packs behind, but I'm not investing until I hit 70 (so not for another 16 levels).

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I know I'm going back. Expansions do that for me (hell, I only switched out of WoW because City of Heroes: Going Rogue is out soon).

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
my brother will still continue to play, but if FF14 is good he will switch that possibly. He is also looking at Guild Wars 2, same as me since I play GW. :)

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Maybe...

Can I buy Cataclysm without buying all the other expansions?

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
I don't think there is a thing that could drag me back to that game, well unless they drop the $15 a month and the community grows up a bit.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
thinkntgrt might be dead on the money there.

I know a few people who are looking at coming back

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
I say that I want to stay off it as much as possible. That is precisely why I bought a timecard on the way home from school.

It makes sense.

Calumon: I think China needs to stop playing catch up. They're still doing communism and all.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
TheSkaAssassin said:
Indeed, me as well.

And well, duh blizzard. I don't think it would take a rocket scientist to figure this one out :)

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Yeah I quit WoW about a month ago...... playing GA now and im happy. I can't go back..... *cry* for the love of all don't make me go back. *runs to support group*

*Shhhhh Shhhh you know wow will only hurt you again.*

OT/ I admit this new skin on vanilla wow look good. I just can't bring myself to reactivate. And drop cash + subs on a game I will only play for a month or two.

Blizz makes a retarded blanket statement about wows Growth before an x-pac release. Good going blizz.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Nimbus said:
Maybe...

I don't see how they're going to keep you from using it, since they completely rewrote all of the orignial stuff. Well, you might still be capped at 60, but other than that I don't see why not...

CloudKiller

Rather Irritated Mage
Jun 30, 2008
I'll admit that, despite my astronomical anticipation for SW:TOR, I'm thinking of reactivating my account over the summer. Anyone know if Warlocks are doing well at the moment?

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Catalyst6 said:
Nimbus said:
Maybe...

I don't see how they're going to keep you from using it, since they completely rewrote all of the orignial stuff. Well, you might still be capped at 60, but other than that I don't see why not...
Yeah, but would you get the extra races? I hear the expansion starting zones tend to be better quality.