Super Mario Crossover Adds Horribly Overpowered Ninja

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Super Mario Crossover Adds Horribly Overpowered Ninja

Ninja Gaiden's Ryu Hayabusa is joining the NES All-Star crew of Super Mario Crossover, and let's face it: Goombas and Koopas stand no chance against a ninja's blade.

If you didn't play Super Mario Crossover before back when it was our Alt+Escape game of the week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/alt-escape/7499-Alt-Escape-Super-Mario-Crossover], then you should go do that now. One of the best parts of the game is how all of the characters keep their abilities: Mega Man slides and charges his Mega Buster, the Contra guy gets spread shots and can crouch, and Mario is ... Mario.

That also has the side effect of making some of the characters incredibly over- (or under-)powered. Mega Man and the Contra dude are pretty powerful, but Castlevania's Simon Belmont feels gimpy as all hell. Still, judging from the trailer developer Exploding Rabbit [http://www.explodingrabbit.com/videos/super-mario-bros-crossover-ryu-hayabusa-trailer] released on its website, neither the Blue Bomber nor Bill can hold a candle to Ninja Gaiden's Ryu Hayabusa.

Seriously, just watch the trailer. The Mushroom Kingdom was clearly never built to handle freakin' ninjas.

What NES-era character do you want to show up in Super Mario Crossover next?

(Thanks, Alai!)

knhirt

Nov 9, 2009
Although it's not a character from a side-scroller, I'd like to see the Black Mage from FF1 make an appearance.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Wow. Though after the hard time in Ninja Gaiden the Mushroom Kingdom should seem like a stroll in the park for Ryu.

blackcherry

Apr 9, 2008
After listening to the Ninja Gaiden music at the end, all I could think of was The Amazing Brados penned tribute to the game. But I shall check out the game anyway. Seems like a bit of fun.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
played as link in this game, it was quite fun, I need to go and beat it.

UnusualStranger

Keep a hat handy
Jan 23, 2010
Know why the ninja is badass?

Have you played his Game? You were either badass enough to be in it, or you died horrible deaths!

NINJA! FTW!

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
Tenmar said:
I'm shocked that Exploding Rabbit hasn't gotten the lawsuits from Nintendo or any other game company on this project.
he is not getting paid for it and it's for the fan and it's not getting that much attention. When it gets popular and more well known then they will shut it down like they did with a pkmn we know and loved....rest in piece pkmn rpg...rest well sweet prince

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
Well as Ryu Hyabussa is one of my favourite characters ever, I'll be getting this back on the browser

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Wait...they made the game BETTER!?
I didn't think that was possible!
If i wasn't hooked on Fire Emblem:RD right now id go and play it.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
I don't think there's much opportunity in the way of cool powerups, but I'd love to see that kid from River City Ransom make an appearance. One of the Ninja Turtles would be pretty neat, too.

Oh, and just to make a character who's even harder to play as than Simon Belmont: Silver Surfer. The one that dies if you touch the floor, walls or ceiling.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
awesome xD ninjas ftw

I was gonna play me some Super Mario World but my friend took back his NES >.<

Georgie_Leech

Nov 10, 2009
Heh, just what the game needed. More awesome.

Maybe the next character should be one of the battletoads.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
UltimatheChosen said:
Hmmm... Knuckles (Sonic wouldn't really bring in anything new) and maybe Kirby.
Agreed. Agreed. A thousand times agreed.

I can just imagine the powers Kirby would get for sucking up his enemies!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Would love to see Samus! Would be certainly very intresting

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Jaredin said:
Would love to see Samus! Would be certainly very intresting
Samus is already in the game. She's kinda hard to use until you get a fire flower, at which point she can do pretty well.

The current character roster is as follows: Mario, Megaman, Samus Aran, Bill Rizer (Contra), Simon Belmot, Link, and Ryu is going to be added soon.