4chan Powers Kim Jong Un in Time's "Person of the Year" Poll

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
4chan Powers Kim Jong Un in Time's "Person of the Year" Poll

With a little help from his friends, North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un blew away the competition in Time Magazine's 2012 "Person of the Year" Reader Poll.

Kim Jong Un is the third-generation ruler of the most repressive regime on Earth. He's also the man at the top of this year's Person of the Year Reader Poll, conducted by Time Magazine, more than doubling the votes received by the second-place finisher, Jon Stewart, and crushing such notables as Aung San Suu Kyi, Hillary Clinton, Mohamed Morsi, Psy, Barack Obama and even the Mars Rover. How did he do it?

As usual, the internet is to blame. "Jon Stewart, Undocumented Immigrants, Olympic gold medalist Gabby Douglas and Burmese leaders Aung San Suu Kyi and Thein Sein, Egyptian president Mohamed Morsi and New Jersey Governor Chris Christie all made it into the top ten," the magazine wrote. "However, some of the highest vote tallies got a boost from members of Internet forums like 4chan who launched a campaign to manipulate the results, pushing North Korea's supreme leader to the top of the list."

Time deserves credit for not invalidating the results because of the obvious "cheating" or even wagging a finger at those responsible for them, suggesting that it's come to terms with the fact that online polls like this are going to be messed with. And that's not all the manipulating 4chan did: A few days prior to his victory, the group used a script to cast votes so that the first letter of each candidate's name spelled out "KJUGASCHAMBERS." The user who created the script told The Daily Dot that the phrase was chosen because it's clever, referenced Hitler and "wasn't as childish as our second choice of KFCBUTTSEX."

And now, the top ten entries in Time's 2012 "Person of the Year" Reader Poll!

Kim Jong Un - 5,635,941 votes
Jon Stewart - 2,366,324
Undocumented Immigrants - 1,554,085
Gabby Douglas - 1,515,215
Aung San Suu Kyi and Thein Sein - 1,487,945
Stephen Colbert - 1,446,656
Chris Christie - 1,368,767
Hillary Clinton - 1,317,815
Ai Weiwei - 1,151,120
Mohamed Morsi - 874,486

Winning the Reader's Poll does not necessarily make Kim Jong Un Time's Person of the Year, however. That honor is chosen by Time's editors and will be announced on December 19.

Sources: Daily Dot [http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/12/13/and-the-winner-of-times-person-of-the-year-reader-poll-is/]

Spoonius

Jul 18, 2009
This will probably convince the people of NK that the world is finally ready to submit to their rule or something.

Haefulz

Jun 17, 2012
I_am_a_Spoon said:
This will probably convince the people of NK that the world is finally ready to submit to their rule or something.
North Korea is best Korea.

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
FUN FACT! They actually manipulated it to read (going downwards, first letters only): KJUGasChambers.

Which was meant to stand for: Kim Jong Un Gas Chambers.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Wait a minute...

How did the Curiosity rover get into a Person Of The Year Poll?

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Well it's not as bad as making Adolf Hitler the real Man Of The Year in 1938. And giving it to Stalin twice.

Or worse, giving it to George W Bush.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I bet they voted for him because he has such a bitchin' haircut.

Also who is this Undocumented Immigrants person?

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
AnarchistAbe said:
FUN FACT! They actually manipulated it to read (going downwards, first letters only): KJUGasChambers.

So while done mainly for the LOL's, there is a hidden meaning that insults Kim-Jong.

And that people is why this 4chan operation gets my approval.

(Time should have a little side-note to point this out)

Rufus Shinra

Oct 11, 2011
Hazy992 said:
I bet they voted for him because he has such a bitchin' haircut.

Also who is this Undocumented Immigrants person?
That's Homeland Security plan, actually, not 4chan: they get the undocumented immigrants to win the competition and wait for them to come claim their prize. Then, back to the border!

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Top notch work 4chan. You strike yet again into the hearts and minds of many with your crazy ways.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Lizardon said:
Wait a minute...

How did the Curiosity rover get into a Person Of The Year Poll?
TIME does that once and awhile. The 1982 winner was the personal computer.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
It's a shame the Higgs Boson wasn't in the top ten either, wonder if they did this in a way that people couldn't mess with it what the results would be?

Nantucket_v1legacy

acting on my best behaviour
Mar 6, 2012
One day the North Koreans will realise the world is laughing at them and blow us all up.
That's one country nobody seems to mess with because they're that unstable. A bit like a toddler holding a gun in a locked room with a few people. They'll either shoot themselves by mistake or somebody else.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
This wouldn't have happened if Ponies were included in the poll. Ponies win everything.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
North Korea is the most fascinating country in the world... because it is so ridiculous and different to every other country...!

Seriously, it's amazing... the people have so little to do, that the ones living near the border to China (across the river) will stand on the banks for hours, staring into China, wondering what felonies and immoral, banned things (you know, like eating, and owning stuff) that the people over there are doing...

They also beat Pinata's that look like US soldiers in primary school! :p

I wonder what would happen if they became besties with Iran!?

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Everytime I see pictures of him, he looks so derp :7
It's hard to believe a spoiled fat kid is "ruling" North korea.

Good job 4chan by the way, had a nice laugh :p

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Haefulz said:
I_am_a_Spoon said:
North Korea is best Korea.
Only a fake supporter would speak like that! North Korea is only Korea!

OT: Yeah, not surprising at all, 4chan seems to love to mess with internet polls. Seems like that's the only thing they're capable of doing nowadays.

Jan 12, 2012
AnarchistAbe said:

I don't know if you missed it in the article, or if it was added afterwards, but Andy mentioned that (and runner-up idea KFCBUTTSEX).

OT: I like when big companies are good sports about this sort of thing. I'm just kind of curious about why John Stewart was #2; did 4chan push him up very high so that they could spell? I mean, he's a good satirist, but I don't think he did anything great this year that deserves Person of the Year.

And for Grammar Nazi points...
Andy Chalk said:
...crushing such notables as Aung San Suu Kyi, Hillary Clinton, Modamed Morsi, Psy, Barack Obama...

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
It takes a troll to know a troll, and it takes a troll to vote for an obvious troll.
This may be trolling, OR it could be 4channers pointing out that people should pay attention to what Un does.