5 Actresses Who Could Play A New Lara Croft

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
5 Actresses Who Could Play A New Lara Croft

Angelina Jolie was the quintessential '90s Lara Croft, but who could play a modern Lara that's more in line with the current iteration of her character?

Read Full Article

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Or just cast Eddie Murphy as all the characters, Lara included. I'd watch that movie.

P.S. Thanks

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Emma Watson? As much as I like her, getting her to play Lara? Ummmmm...how about no?

linkblade91

Dec 2, 2009
Doesn't Camilla Luddington demand a spot on the list somewhere? After all, Luddington is the voice-actress and model for the rebooted Tomb Raider games. Who could be "more in line with the current iteration of her character" than the lady who is the current iteration of Lara Croft? lol

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
Or we can just you know keep Lara as an animated CG character? I mean none of these actress' look like Lara Croft too me.
The other thing being ignored is how the current iteration of Lara won't get off her ass unless someone else goes and does the thing she refuses to do and dies in the process of doing the actual hard work of getting the next macguffin(don't plan on playing Rise until it gets ported sometime in the next six to eight years if Arkham Knight is any indication, so she might actually do something useful on her own).

I don't think we want a movie with this Lara at the moment, have a feeling it would just be a remake of a mix of Cast-Away and Predator without any of the improvisation or self-reliance.

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
linkblade91 said:
Doesn't Camilla Luddington demand a spot on the list somewhere? After all, Luddington is the voice-actress and model for the rebooted Tomb Raider games. Who could be "more in line with the current iteration of her character" than the lady who is the current iteration of Lara Croft? lol
Yeah, she also looks the part and is a decent enough actress. I'd like to see that.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Maaaaaaybe Emily Blunt. But Steinfeld? You've got to be kidding me. Fine actress, but she couldn't play Lara's ugly friend if you hit her in the face with a tennis racket.

Can we stop pretending like physique du rol means nothing when casting an iconic character?

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
bigfatcarp93 said:
RJ 17 said:
Emma Watson? As much as I like her, getting her to play Lara? Ummmmm...how about no?
Why not? She can do intellectual, nuanced, and even action.
Eh, I can see intellectual and nuanced sorta...but action? I don't think I've disliked a movie that she's been in, but the closest she's been to action is punching Malfoy and running through the woods with CGI...

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Huh, would have expected Jennifer Lawrence to be there. Cause, you know they'd try to get her, if for no other reason than there's few action women as well known as her at the mo.

Emma Watson would be an odd choice. Yes, it'd be a revelation for her career, but then it'd be a revelation for my career, doesn't mean I'd be a good choice.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
I'm not really enthused about any of those choices, though Natalie Dormer seems the least bad of the suggestions. So long as she dyed her hair, a blonde Lara Croft would be just WRONG.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
I have to say, that list is pretty naff: Herminoe? That slave girl from Game of Thrones? *Maybe* Emily Blunt because she has actually proven she can act in violent situations, but I'd feel more comfortable if they just stuck with the tried and true star of the original films.

http://www.chrisbarrie.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/131web.jpg

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
linkblade91 said:
Doesn't Camilla Luddington demand a spot on the list somewhere? After all, Luddington is the voice-actress and model for the rebooted Tomb Raider games. Who could be "more in line with the current iteration of her character" than the lady who is the current iteration of Lara Croft?
Whilst I love this version of Lara, and believe Luddington's performance is superb, does she really have the in-front-of-camera acting chops to nail a live action version? Her live action CV's not exactly inspiring.

As for the list: not keen on most, but I'd go with Blunt, as her form of English accent would suit this version of Lara, and she's more than proved she can appear convincingly ballsy in action sequences.

Watson could be fine, especially if they paid more attention to Lara as a thinker interested in history, as opposed to just someone who takes punishment and drives ice-picks through other peoples skulls (the nu-TR is my favourite Tomb Raider since the IP began, ditto this Lara, but I really would like them to emphasise her more archaeological side).

A shame Rhona Mitra never got a crack at playing Lara, circa the Legend trilogy (specifically Underworld). She'd have been just about perfect for that:

Actually, another British actress who could probably do justice to nu-Lara? Jenna Coleman. No real clue about her acting chops, but she certainly looks the part and I gather she's a decent actress. See also: Alicia Vikander.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Redryhno said:
bigfatcarp93 said:
RJ 17 said:
Eh, I can see intellectual and nuanced sorta...but action? I don't think I've disliked a movie that she's been in, but the closest she's been to action is punching Malfoy and running through the woods with CGI...
Dude, really? What do you expect, for her to do her own stunts or something? Very, VERY few actors do that. What she's done, herself, in Potter is easily enough to qualify her. Looking strained, frightened, determined, winded, whatever.

EDIT: Though as a counterpoint I will admit that she may not have the physicality for the Croft look. I'm not saying she's strictly ideal, but dismissing her out of hand seems iffy.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
bigfatcarp93 said:
Redryhno said:
bigfatcarp93 said:
RJ 17 said:
Dude, really? What do you expect, for her to do her own stunts or something? Very, VERY few actors do that. What she's done, herself, in Potter is easily enough to qualify her. Looking strained, frightened, determined, winded, whatever.

EDIT: Though as a counterpoint I will admit that she may not have the physicality for the Croft look. I'm not saying she's strictly ideal, but dismissing her out of hand seems iffy.
I never said any of that. So that's sorta on yo. Bnd I never meant anything but that I haven't seen her do action...

You don't expect Dustin Hoffman or Elijah Wood to do heavy action, you get Willis, Schwarzenegger, even DeNiro. And I don't see her doing action, or I haven't seen her do action. Hell, even as much as I dislike Johanssen, she at least has an actiony background. It's largely the same here.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
Yeah I'm not really knocked out by anyone on that list except for Emily Blunt.

But I can't really think of anyone under 30 who could be a good Lara. All the actresses I'd love to see in the role skew "older":

Rhona Mitra

Jaime Murray

Rose Byrne (I know, I know...she's Australian)

Kate Beckinsale

Of course, Emily Blunt seems to be the "goto" British badass girl these days...when Eva Green's too busy.