5 Actresses Who Should Play Samus Aran

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
5 Actresses Who Should Play Samus Aran

Who could portray the famous Galactic bounty hunter?

Read Full Article

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Other M would be kind of a weird place to start the series, since it takes place towards the very end of the franchise. I think only Fusion takes place after Other M. You would need so many flashbacks to set up the character and lore that it would take up 90% percent of the run time. Which might not be a bad idea since Other M's own plot is terrible.

Gutsripper

Aug 23, 2010
Ronda Rousey... oh god no.

People really need to get over her. She simply can not act, even if she didn't do any dialogue... she just can't.
I don't know what it is with this chick but she and her fans always want to shoehorn her into any female protagonist character these days. First it was Captain Marvel now this. Please just stop it already.
Just because she can fight and is semi good looking does not make her an actress.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
About 10 years ago I would've nominated Natasha Henstridge to play Samus. She played a good badass in Ghosts of Mars. Yes, Ghosts of Mars wasn't a very good movie, but she was still badass in it.

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
No Charlize Theron?

If a Metroid film series were developed chronologically, the basic plot of Metroid: Other M would be a great place to start.
Aaaaaand we're off to a terrible start.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
GrumbleGrump said:
No Charlize Theron?
No kidding, she was a dead ringer for Samus when she was wearing that blue jumpsuit in Prometheus (though that movie was a mess).

As for this, I can narrow down the number: 0, because we need to stop acting like videogame movies are a good idea or help the medium in any way.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
MarsAtlas said:
Not actually Karl Urban, but somebody who would be willing to keep their helmet on for the whole film like Urban did in Dredd and unlike Stallone in his role with the character.
Well, Gwendoline never removed her helmet in Episode VII. That was one of the reasons I suggested her in the other thread.
[sub][sub][sub][sub]Sneaky Escapist stealing ideas.[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Honestly there is not one person on this list I'd agree with. Personally I think they should go completely in another direction and make it a comedy and cast Kristen Wiig.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
A few people seem to be writing off Ronda based off of the Fast & Furious. I'd like to point out that no one in those movies does a particularly good job of acting. They act as if they know they are only there to break up the expensive car sequences.

Give her a few movies of her own before saying she has no acting talent.

the_maestro_sartori

Nov 8, 2009
Charlie Theron if we want someone who can act and hit the 'badass' score well.
Gina Carano if we want the above but also hitting Hollywood's obsession with putting athletes with little experience into big money films.

Ronda? Gtfo. Her current emotional breakdown aside, her acting thus far has been criiiinge

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
All these ladies are way too tiny to be Samus. She's 6'3 nearly 200 lbs They can put the muscle on but they'll still look tiny and not at all the massive bruiser Samus should be.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Winnosh said:
All these ladies are way too tiny to be Samus. She's 6'3 nearly 200 lbs They can put the muscle on but they'll still look tiny and not at all the massive bruiser Samus should be.
To be fair, the quantity of 6' 3" actresses is... not great. If a Metroid movie is made, I think we're going to have to settle for platform shoes and creative shot framing.

Besides the silly starting point suggested... I honestly don't know who would make a good Samus. I'm going to have to go with MarsAtlas on this one - The most important thing is getting an actress who doesn't mind being in a tin can for the entire movie. Height and muscularity would be a bonus, but getting a Dredd like determination to the character is more important.

Also, if anyones wondering where the 'measurements' for Samus come from... a players guide.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
AccursedTheory said:
Winnosh said:
To be fair, the quantity of 6' 3" actresses is... not great. If a Metroid movie is made, I think we're going to have to settle for platform shoes and creative shot framing.

Besides the silly starting point suggested... I honestly don't know who would make a good Samus. I'm going to have to go with MarsAtlas on this one - The most important thing is getting an actress who doesn't mind being in a tin can for the entire movie. Height and muscularity would be a bonus, but getting a Dredd like determination to the character is more important.

Also, if anyones wondering where the 'measurements' for Samus come from... a players guide.

Gwen is a giant. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwendoline_Christie I vote for her.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I... guess it depends on whether they plan to incorporate the Zero Suit or not. I mean, either way, Samus has to be acrobatic-looking. Ridiculously so, really.

I like Gwendoline. She'd definitely be convincing with the (probably CGI) armor... but outside of it, eh. Silly "hawt" argument aside, I think she's good looking, but not really Samus material. I can't see her flipping around and shit, for one.

But honestly, the list of extremely tall, slim but muscular, blonde, ridiculously pretty women that can act their way out of a paper bag is probably pretty damn small. An unknown would probably have to end up taking the role.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Gorfias said:
AccursedTheory said:
Winnosh said:

Gwen is a giant. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwendoline_Christie I vote for her.
I suppose, but besides height, I don't think she looks like Samus, or could be convincingly made to do so. It would be easier to find a shorter person that looked like Samus and prop her up then to make Gwendoline Christie look like Samus.

That, and she's only had two big roles that I know of, one of which was already 'Female Stuck in a Can.' I think it be weird to cast her as Samus.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
What? No Tricia Helfer?!

She's close to 6' tall, a genre favorite (and a fan) and we know she can act.