5 Found Footage Movies That Make Guys Cry

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
5 Found Footage Movies That Make Guys Cry

Found footage may have become a gimmick, but some found footage movies are truly scary... and truly sad.

Read Full Article

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
I loathe FF films. The whole premise for me as a viewer is ridiculous. The camera always survives as it somehow gets passed on from one survivor to the next, it always gets some great takes and frames the subject perfectly (albeit quite shaky). It is like one of those home improvement shows where the crew "surprises" the family in the house when they ring the bell, but there is already a camera INSIDE the house capturing the family's reactions!

Having ranted my displeasure, I think Troll Hunter is awesome! I think it would have been better as a traditional camera film than an FF, but that is obvious. I now want to watch Apollo 18 after reading this article. The other movies they can be thrown in the garbage with no guy ever shading a tear.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Those movies don't make guys cry, in fact "guys cry cinema" is probably the most difficult thing to pull off ever. Unless you can come up with a list that includes Simon Burch.

BayouStalker

May 31, 2011
I love found footage, and you actually had some gems on there, along with one that I found to be utter rubbish. Still, no real cry bait in these, more of just general movies that invoke loss along with some that are more of just normal horror.

The Bay was a good one in the batch, along with the phenomenal Troll Hunter. As to Apollo 18..... if you don't like found footage in general, you likely won't like it. It was a decent build up with a let down for the final pay off. They could have done more and just sort of squandered it at the end.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Triaed said:
I loathe FF films. The whole premise for me as a viewer is ridiculous. The camera always survives as it somehow gets passed on from one survivor to the next, it always gets some great takes and frames the subject perfectly (albeit quite shaky). It is like one of those home improvement shows where the crew "surprises" the family in the house when they ring the bell, but there is already a camera INSIDE the house capturing the family's reactions!
I think FF movies are tricky. The filmmaker needs to make it look like it was actually filmed by amateurs, without annoying his audience. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Usually it works better in a horror setting, but of course that has been done to death after Blair Witch Project... Incidentally, the scariest movie I have watched was Blair Witch. Some people say it does nothing for them, but it obviously hit all the right primal switches in my head, because my adrenal glands were going on full steam.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I also love found footage films, but none of them has tugged my heartstrings and made me weep, really.

I don't know why I feel I have to justify that, that I didn't cry at any of these movies. But for some reason it feels like an attack on my stoicism or character, the notion you're playing with, that people can cry at all sorts of movies, but 'real men' don't... well, obviously I have some stuff to deal with.

I haven't seen The Bay yet... I'll look into it. Apollo 18 was a bit botched at the end, as BayouStalker said. But most found footage films use the suspense, using anticipation as opposed to actually seeing something, or at least postponing the reveals. I appreciate that.

In retrospect I would have mentioned Cloverfield instead of Apollo 18. But still, a good list of a great horror subgenre.

Autumnflame

Sep 18, 2008
Pfft. Give me a pixar film and you have water works.

10 mins into UP and anyone whos not a zombie and even they are tearing up

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the only reason you would cry while watching paranormal activity is over how much time and money you spent watching that garbage.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I probably would cry if somebody made me watch this garbage again. I hate the very concept of these movies, which is 'no matter how bad shit gets keep sticking that fucking camera to your face'.
Fun fact: my friend believed that paranormal activity was actual found footage of ghosts because it said so at the start of the movie, i had to convince him that it wasn't..

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
What a load of utter rubbish.

The only thing that made me want to cry was the pretentiousness of this article.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
I just watched "The Bay" because of this article tonight. Can't say I was overly impressed by it, despite the generally positive ratings by critics.

The concept was alright, it's interesting to use that particular creature. As a coincidence I was just reading about it in a diver's magazine earlier this week.

The film was in too much of a "false documentary" form for me though. It made it seem somewhat realistic I guess, but not really. Random pieces of medical gore thrown around didn't really manage to move me either.

As for the other films on the list, the Blair Witch Project actually did manage to really scare me when I was smaller. Much more so than slasher horror films. Unlike some people I did think it was sorta well done.

Troll Hunter is also an enjoyable watch (not scary at all tho).

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Jeesh, people take these lists waaaaaay too seriously.

I like the genre, Troll Hunter, while definitely not scary, was a TON of fun and I personally would've also picked REC, Cloverfield and Diary of the Dead.

Hear me out, Diary of the Dead is a shitty film, no doubt about that and it doesn't help with the fact that it was actually directed by George Romero himself, BUT it definitely has a few (emphasis in few) good moments, also, badass amish. 'Nuff said.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Strange list. The Blair Witch Project was the only good one, though I haven't seen them all. Yeah it's not enthralling but it was a film that was bound to be made, then copied and copied again. If you walked out of it disappointed or confused because there wasn't a guy in a rubber suit then I'd say to the filmmakers: job done! Just as the first western which didn't end with a shootout and the bad guy dying, or the first film featuring actual black people instead of white guys in blackface.