5 Journey to Un'Goro Cards That Could Already Use a Nerf

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
5 Journey to Un'Goro Cards That Could Already Use a Nerf

The expansion has only been out a week, and we're already frustrated by these cards...

Read Full Article

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Yeah, the Rogue quest is pretty stupid. It's also worth mentioning that the effect cannot be silenced off, and using Polymorph or Hex on a minion has almost no effect, since the minion it transforms into is still a 5/5.

Also, Tar Creeper is amazing, because Pirate Warrior is still a thing. Somehow. Despite a number of new cards designed to counter it.

rodneyy

humm odd
Sep 10, 2008
yeah its that it affects every minion they play. you look at the druid quest it only works on the ones still in your deck and any that get shuffeled in there or discovered dont get the bonus. its too much compleat quest instant crazy board for my liking, at least other quests have a bit of a break between finish and crazyness happening

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
I don't play high level so "the meta" isn't something I pay much attention to. That being said even at like rank 20-15 where I usually stay around Crystal Rouge is a straight plague.

This isn't a game like MTG where you can disrupt combos with counter spells and the like, which would normally be how you'd deal with a deck like this. Out side of going hard Aggro like murlocs I cannot figure out a way to beat it. If you can't win by turn 6 you may as well give up.

Which bothers me because their are so many other fun and goofy ways to play. I love playing green ramp in MTG and with the Druid quest that is better than ever. But it's way to slow to deal with crystal rogue. I've always wanted Taunt warrior to be more of a thing and this set has a lot of tools for that. Also to slow. Elemental shaman? Too slow. Discard warlock, beast hunter, control priest? well you get the idea.

And that sucks. I hate one deck being so strong that either you play that deck or a deck specifically made to counter that deck or you lose. That's one of the reasons I don't want to be a high ranking player. Takes all the fun out of the game for me.

JSRevenge

Sep 23, 2014
A couple of comments:

The rogue quest reward can be silenced, but not transformed. Use Sunkeeper Tarim, or actual silence effects. Or taunt up. I can clear over 50% winrate with midrange Paladin. Maybe I'm just glad this archetype made Paladin good. They have a ton of effective board clears.

And if you think it's easy-going for rogues, try to play the quest. It is inconsistent as hell, as it should be. That's why it's all over the rank-15 range; you can't climb above that with this deck.

Also, instead of just saying things need nerfs, maybe suggest some? I don't see how tar creeper could be nerfed; a legit 3/5 taunt for 4 already exists, this is a good way of budget-taunting. I like the design! I'm just glad it killed the pirate meta.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
JSRevenge said:
A couple of comments:

The rogue quest reward can be silenced, but not transformed. Use Sunkeeper Tarim, or actual silence effects. Or taunt up. I can clear over 50% winrate with midrange Paladin. Maybe I'm just glad this archetype made Paladin good. They have a ton of effective board clears.

And if you think it's easy-going for rogues, try to play the quest. It is inconsistent as hell, as it should be. That's why it's all over the rank-15 range; you can't climb above that with this deck.

Also, instead of just saying things need nerfs, maybe suggest some? I don't see how tar creeper could be nerfed; a legit 3/5 taunt for 4 already exists, this is a good way of budget-taunting. I like the design! I'm just glad it killed the pirate meta.
Does equality even effect the 5/5 minions of the rogue? Anyways you just pointed out the problem. Only a few classes have the tools to deal with a full board of 5/5s. Less when the next rotation happens. And none without drawbacks.

Tar creeper is fine imho. Maybe make caverns a minion instead of a spell. Or boost the cost of minions by 1. So then you aren't getting steamrolled on turn 4 by a ton of 5/5s (cuz that is a shitty feeling no matter how you slice it even though it requires the God draw). Or instead of nerfing it give every class a spell to deal with it (like a cheaper 1 off twisting nether).

JSRevenge

Sep 23, 2014
squid5580 said:
JSRevenge said:
A couple of comments:

Does equality even effect the 5/5 minions of the rogue? Anyways you just pointed out the problem. Only a few classes have the tools to deal with a full board of 5/5s. Less when the next rotation happens. And none without drawbacks.

Tar creeper is fine imho. Maybe make caverns a minion instead of a spell. Or boost the cost of minions by 1. So then you aren't getting steamrolled on turn 4 by a ton of 5/5s (cuz that is a shitty feeling no matter how you slice it even though it requires the God draw). Or instead of nerfing it give every class a spell to deal with it (like a cheaper 1 off twisting nether).
Yeah, you can use cards that modify stats (wild pyro/equality work just fine), but if you use polymorph spells (Poly, Hex, Devolve), that creates a new minion, and all new minions are 5/5.

Run 2 Dirty Rats when you notice they're strip-teasing out a Novice Engineer with Shadowstep. It will delay their payout, and might destroy their fastest option if you're holding a weapon or board minion to kill whatever pops.

But yeah, I'm digging how well I can play against it as pally because they have a couple really great tools to at least put up a good fight, including the best buff in the game (+2/+6 Taunt that drops a 2/6 taunt on death).

If Blizzard printed a hard-counter to charge minions and made it neutral (I.E. All minions with charge cost (2) more, and attached it to a 4-cost minion, I would sure as heck run it. Bouncing back 1 mana 5/5 charge minions is the ridiculous aspect.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I'd say Crystal Caverns is the only one even remotely deserving of a nerf and even then, the quest is inconsistent and is often loses to aggro. It's just not a fun deck to lose to since if it gets a good draw, it feels really bullshit. However, the other times it's the Rogue player getting a shitty draw and not being able to do anything. Pirate Warrior is still probably the best deck and still the biggest plague on ladder since it gets through more games than the other top decks.

Also, you're seriously calling for Tar Creeper nerfs?! There's finally a deck that does really well against aggro without being completely useless against everything else and you want to kill one of its key cards. There is nothing wrong with Tar Creeper. It's a great anti-aggro tool in a game where aggro has been king for several expansions.

Pterrodax is also fine IMO. Zoo kind of needed a boost.

Arcanologist. I guess you could lower the stats a bit so that only Freeze Mage wants to run it, but then you're just giving aggro mage the finger when pirate warrior still outclasses it.

Crackling Razomaw is one of the cards that is letting Hunter be a class again. Keep it as is.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
The funny thing about the rogue quest card is that it actually has a pretty stable 50/50 win/lose rate. The problem is that it just feels like complete horseshit to lose against because you can't do anything to stop the opponent from playing, recalling and re-playing the same card over and over again, aside from trying to burst them down while they're trying to combo up or playing a very, VERY select few countering cards (Bat Rat, Polymorph Potion, Snipe).

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
I'm probably largely in the minority here, but I'd argue that all 5 cards are fine.

Crystal Caverns is cancerous, but it loses heavily to Aggro decks like Face Hunter and Pirate Warrior and can even lose to the more aggressively tuned mid-range decks like Jade Druid, Elemental Shaman or Midrange Hunter. Rouge's sitting at just under 50% winrate with Quest Rouge being the most popular, so I'd say that it's perfectly balanced.

Ravenous Pterrodax is essentially zoo-lock's saving grace right now. With Power Overwhelming gone, they need a cheap card that can swing tempo quickly in their favor. Can it become a 7/7? Yeah, but in almost any scenario, you wouldn't take that combination of buffs. Usually a combination of Windfury, Divine Shield, Stealth or Can't be Targeted are much more preferable.

I'm content with each class getting at least one decent non-legendary card exclusive to them. Its why I was content with Hunter's getting Unleash the Wild and why I was fine with Priest getting Dragonfire Potion. I honestly can't play devil's advocate with this one. Its got a strong effect, its got decent stats, its cheap and its a much faster card. Blizzard wants secret mage to be a thing, just be glad they didn't have to give them Ragnaros' hero power to get players to play it.

Same as above, Crackling Razormaw is a strong card and I'm content with each class getting one strong non-legendary card per expansion.

Tar Creeper is not op by any definition. If anything, its great design use of taunt. Its a cheap minion that impedes your opponents ability to deal damage to you, but it does not allow you to deal effective damage against your opponent. While Tar Lurker and Tar Lord probably have waaaayyy to much health for their costs, I feel a Sen'jin on your opponents turn and a slightly buffed Silverback Patriarch is fine.