5 Post-Apocalypse Movies That Make Guys Cry

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
5 Post-Apocalypse Movies That Make Guys Cry

Post-apocalyptic movies might seem to be all about manliness, but they can be some real tearjerkers.

Read Full Article

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
The apocalypse in The Book of Eli was specified, it was a nuclear exchange and its the reason Eli is blind as he saw the flash of one of the detonations (some other characters too). It never covered who started it and why but its the reason the Earth is ruined and for his blindness.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Who cried during the Book of Eli? It may have been bleak, but I can't think of any moments where it was actually sad. Also the fact that (not really a spoiler) his book is the Bible and he's literally on a mission from God kinda turned me off to the whole thing. I'm not anti-religious, I'm not even an atheist, but the idea of making the whole story about the all-so-important preservation of one specific religious group's text just seems incredibly preachy to me. Why should any non-christains watching care about this guy's mission?

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
While some solid entries (12 monkeys & Book of Eli) I get the feeling this list is more filler than killer.

Snowpiercer was a horrendously bad film with one of the single dumbest concepts ever put forth on film.

I am legend was kind of meh. You might have gotten away with it had you pulled from the original film, but then you would not have had some sort of tear jerker.

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Olas said:
Who cried during the Book of Eli? It may have been bleak, but I can't think of any moments where it was actually sad. Also the fact that (not really a spoiler) his book is the Bible and he's literally on a mission from God kinda turned me off to the whole thing. I'm not anti-religious, I'm not even an atheist, but the idea of making the whole story about the all-so-important preservation of one specific religious group's text just seems incredibly preachy to me. Why should any non-christains watching care about this guy's mission?
I liked the book that the film was based off of. In that, the book he was touting around was the Wizard of OZ. It showed that any book, given enough reverence, can hold power. I agree with you that the Bible is just too bleh.

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
viranimus said:
Snowpiercer was a horrendously bad film with one of the single dumbest concepts ever put forth on film.
Aw, I really liked Snowpiercer and was glad to see it on the list. The concept itself is pretty weak, but get over that and you get into the thought experiment the film allows. Also, the ending kind of makes the concept work, but if you spend the entire film hung up on the stupidity of it (which would be understandable), it would be hard to enjoy.

Odd though is that he didn't point out one of the most emotional moments in the film, but it was likely to not spoil it since it is a newer film.

When he has to choose between saving his friend or grabbing Tilda Swinton. That sucked, especially the understanding look in his friend's eyes when Evans goes the other way. Honestly, that part got to me.

Silverbane7

Jul 1, 2012
i thought the end effect in Book of Eli was the sun? i remember the phrase 'the sun turned on us' from watching it (admitedly once, and i am glad that the book the film was based on, had the wizard of oz be his book)

i am legend, while interesting, the whole end i did not like (i saw omega Man and to be honest, the whole of i am legend bugged the hell out of me for being a sort of preachy version of Omega Man imho) but i did find an alternate ending they didnt publish (at was on some of the special editions, and got uploaded to utube) that made a whole lot MORE sence to me (and was a lot more like omega man to me lol)

12 monkies is a lot less confusing if you grew up on things like it. like Brazil and Monty Python lol.
and there are a LOT of older or smaller movies for apocalipses you can find that are confusing / good.

for one thats about the (freezing) end of the world, look for the older version of Quintet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quintet_(film)

but generaly, end of the world movies make me yell at my screen. ether because folks are dumb, gready or generaly just make me want to smack them one XD