5 Speaker Set up for Bedroom

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
So I am trying to set up a 5 speaker setup surround sound for the bedroom but I don't want any speakers by the TV because the room is too big and the sound has to be too loud with them that far away and will be heard in other rooms if the speakers are anywhere near the TV. I want to hook up the speakers by the bed instead where I want to be able to listen to the TV from but am not finding any setups like that. So what would be their placement? Two front attached to the wall on swing arms? Two back below on the night stands? or should those be switched? or all 4 on the wall? the sub under the bed? idk how to run them like this... Ideas?

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
From what I remember, dialogue on 5.1 soundtracks is directed to the rear speakers, so having them close to the bed head (IE where yours will be) would be ideal. Front are usually placed parallel to them - so if you can use the stands maybe put them at the foot of the bed and wall mount the rear speakers. Centre is classically places under the TV and the sub usually sits over one side. But since is the least fiddly to move you can experiment - under the bed may indeed he awesome.

Reactions: lil devils x

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
From what I remember, dialogue on 5.1 soundtracks is directed to the rear speakers, so having them close to the bed head (IE where yours will be) would be ideal. Front are usually placed parallel to them - so if you can use the stands maybe put them at the foot of the bed and wall mount the rear speakers. Centre is classically places under the TV and the sub usually sits over one side. But since is the least fiddly to move you can experiment - under the bed may indeed he awesome.
Thanks, I have been running speaker wire for hours.. I hope I get this right and it doesn't wind up sounding awful. And no, no stands, and it would be weird to put them there. I would wind up knocking them over trying to make it to my bed in the dark. HAHA
So I have to find someway to have them near me ..either nightstands or wall otherwise I will destroy them when making middle of the night, half asleep tinkle breaks in the dark while still wearing my sleep mask and possible sweater over part of my head( to keep my ears warm, not that is weird or anything..)...

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Thanks, I have been running speaker wire for hours.. I hope I get this right and it doesn't wind up sounding awful. And no, no stands, and it would be weird to put them there. I would wind up knocking them over trying to make it to my bed in the dark. HAHA
So I have to find someway to have them near me ..either nightstands or wall otherwise I will destroy them when making middle of the night, half asleep tinkle breaks in the dark while still wearing my sleep mask and possible sweater over part of my head( to keep my ears warm, not that is weird or anything..)...
Ah, that does present complications. I mean if I'm honest I'd need to know details like the shape and dimensions of your room - information I would not ask, or expect you to supply if I lost my mind and did ask - so the best I can offer is the aforementioned advice.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
You could try hanging regular speakers from the ceiling with some Steel wire and those screws with the loop on one end (they have a name, but damn if I can remember right now).

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
You could try hanging regular speakers from the ceiling with some Steel wire and those screws with the loop on one end (they have a name, but damn if I can remember right now).
Because I know you care to be told, they're called "eye bolts."

OT, I can officially contribute nothing else to this thread. I wish you luck on your endeavor, lil devils; may the sound surround you to your liking once you figure this out.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Somehow I Imagined that turning my bed into an obstacle course like this...

Seriously though. Aesthetics are important to me. I have a low profile platform bed with a really open and spacious minimalist bedroom, hanging anything from the ceiling or putting them somewhere in the middle of the room would just look too weird for me to even appreciate it sounding better.

I finally decided to actually attach a swing arm to my night stands so they are more to the side of the bed but in front of me when I am listening to them and can fold it up when I am not and you can't really notice them that much but I am still not all that happy with that and am thinking about buying different speakers so they look better than the ones I have there. Either that or covering them with fabric or painting these gray or silver or something to match my bedroom. Black speakers look completely out of place in my gray, silver and ocean shades of blue bedroom. Fabric will probably look better than paint. I may have to buy some smaller ones AND cover them in the end to have it look right.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Somehow I Imagined that turning my bed into an obstacle course like this...

Seriously though. Aesthetics are important to me. I have a low profile platform bed with a really open and spacious minimalist bedroom, hanging anything from the ceiling or putting them somewhere in the middle of the room would just look too weird for me to even appreciate it sounding better.

I finally decided to actually attach a swing arm to my night stands so they are more to the side of the bed but in front of me when I am listening to them and can fold it up when I am not and you can't really notice them that much but I am still not all that happy with that and am thinking about buying different speakers so they look better than the ones I have there. Either that or covering them with fabric or painting these gray or silver or something to match my bedroom. Black speakers look completely out of place in my gray, silver and ocean shades of blue bedroom. Fabric will probably look better than paint. I may have to buy some smaller ones AND cover them in the end to have it look right.
Based on that, perhaps a high quality soundbar would be a better investment for you.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
New idea: turn your whole bed's box spring into a giant speaker like that one from Back to the Future.
Now that sounds like an interesting idea... I am all about building in stuff to my furniture.. and walls. I built a computer into the side of the couch once.. I built storage into the ottoman and under the seat cushions in the couch.. lots of in wall storage all over the place inside mirrors and paintings ect.. a Tasmanian devil trophy case into the wall where Taz is eating the trophies.. the only problem is the entire point of putting them by my bed was to not disturb people in other rooms or apartments.. HAHA.. that may make the entire building rumble even worse than that boom cube my Dad gave me years ago... OH I found it!
https://www.perpetualkid.com/boom-cube.html

That thing got me all sorts of noise complaints hahah! A lady downstairs from me at the time told me that it made stuff fall off her shelves so I haven't used it since. I still have it in the closet atm.. I am still unpacking since I just recently switched apartments. I can't imagine what an entire bed done like that would do... D:
Based on that, perhaps a high quality soundbar would be a better investment for you.
But then all the sound would be coming from behind my head since I don't want to have to turn it up too loud to hear it on the bed and annoy everyone else..
The room is too big to have the speakers by the TV and not have the TV too loud to hear it in bed. I can put an entire living room between my TV and bed so too much distance to cover.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Now that sounds like an interesting idea... I am all about building in stuff to my furniture.. and walls. I built a computer into the side of the couch once.. I built storage into the ottoman and under the seat cushions in the couch.. lots of in wall storage all over the place inside mirrors and paintings ect.. a Tasmanian devil trophy case into the wall where Taz is eating the trophies.. the only problem is the entire point of putting them by my bed was to not disturb people in other rooms or apartments.. HAHA.. that may make the entire building rumble even worse than that boom cube my Dad gave me years ago... OH I found it!
https://www.perpetualkid.com/boom-cube.html

That thing got me all sorts of noise complaints hahah! A lady downstairs from me at the time told me that it made stuff fall off her shelves so I haven't used it since. I still have it in the closet atm.. I am still unpacking since I just recently switched apartments. I can't imagine what an entire bed done like that would do... D:

But then all the sound would be coming from behind my head since I don't want to have to turn it up too loud to hear it on the bed and annoy everyone else..
The room is too big to have the speakers by the TV and not have the TV too loud to hear it in bed. I can put an entire living room between my TV and bed so too much distance to cover.
Perhaps then, if Mohammed cannot go to the proverbial mountain, the proverbial mountain can come to Mohammed. Get a mounting frame for the television and put it at the end of your bed. Use one with wheels so you can relocate it as needed. Then a decent soundbar or the television‘s own speakers can be used.

An example off Amazon

Last edited: