5 Sports Movies That Make Guys Cry

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
5 Sports Movies That Make Guys Cry

These sports movies really hit you right in the feels.

Read Full Article

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Pretty safe list. Although I would have included "Miracle". Kurt Russell is great and I always get choked up at the end.

CGAdam

Nov 20, 2009
Isn't 'Brian's Song' supposed to be THE sports movie that makes guys cry? Or is it just outdated by now?

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Avaholic03 said:
Pretty safe list. Although I would have included "Miracle". Kurt Russell is great and I always get choked up at the end.
I did keep considering that, but to be honest I have seen it. Sure I could have wiki'd the plot, but that's not honest.

Kakefar

Nov 12, 2014
You didn't even watch "Searching for Bobby Fischer", did you?
Although the movie references the (in)famous Bobby Fischer quite a lot (even including him in the title), it is obviously the semi-biographical story of real life chess-prodigy Josh Waitzkin.
Bobby Fischer's toxic personality and weird political views would have made for quite a different story...

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Kakefar said:
Although the movie references the (in)famous Bobby Fischer quite a lot (even including him in the title), it is obviously the semi-biographical story of real life chess-prodigy Josh Waitzkin.
Bobby Fischer's toxic personality and weird political views would have made for quite a different story...
Watched it, yes. Caught that I used the wrong name in the write up? No. I'll see if I can get that fixed, thanks for catching it.

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Kakefar said:
All fixed!

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
No mention of boxing movie Champ?

I've seen entire rooms of grown men reduced to blubbering masses during that movie. "No Champ... don't get up... he'll kill you... why are you doing that?"

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Sorry, as an avid chess player who has bested chess presidents and trainers alike in highschools and colleges across the country, I still can't seriously consider it a sport since physical exertion is a required element of sport. I mean, unless you're using the loosest definition of sport as mere diversion or amusement but in the context of the other entries that seems unlikely. So as a fan of the game, skilled player, and even a lover of the film mentioned, I simply disagree.

You've heard it here folks, a Chess club president for four years running back in the day when one loss would have lost me that position says chess is not a sport, it's a game. Marching band is more of a sport. It is competition, however.

Now, UFC chess? That's a sport...

To replace it, I don't know. "Cinderella Man", "Rocky", "Invincible", and heck, I'll say it, "The Sandlot".

Disagreement over chess as a sport aside, I love these columns, thanks for making them.