5 Ways J.J. Abrams Could Ruin Star Wars

Phil Owen

Aug 11, 2014

We don't know if Abrams will do to Star Wars what he did to Star Trek, but there are a lot of ways he could misstep with this fan-favorite. These are some of them.

Read Full Article

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Retconning in an Illuminati style master plan sounds unfortunately plausible.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
I own the literary copy of Dreamcatcher and have read it. I have also seen the movie (and consider it a fucking abortion, if you're conducting a poll). So, while I understand what the shit-weasels are, I don't get what all that about redeeming them and how we'll love them all is supposed to mean. Anyone mind sharing the story on that?

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
5 ways J.J. Abrams can ruin Star Wars? Oh, that's easy!

1. By directing it
2. By helping someone direct it
3. By doing any other major role, like writing or producing it
4. By starring in it
5. By being present in the same building where someone else is making it

There, question answered! :)

Traviltar

Aug 21, 2013
Phil Owen said:

We don't know if Abrams will do to Star Wars what he did to Star Trek, but there are a lot of ways he could misstep with this fan-favorite. These are some of them.

Read Full Article
Every point you have made I have made in the past year or so about Episode VII being not only a bad movie, but a bad Star Wars! (But then again great minds think alike.. :D)
As a huge fanboy all I care about he gets the lore right because almost anything can be done in the Star Wars universe... A story about a scientist being hunted for his work, a man on the quest to save his family only to find out about betrayal of loved ones, space cowboys, military.. but I guess those things fit better with spin-offs than the actual movie.
I just want them to get the world(s) of SW right and maybe a reference to KOTOR every now and then.

But fuck the whole Illuminati idea. Just no.. No...

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
& as an honourable mention: 6. Using Lens Flare // But that is a visual aspect rather than a story one // It'll still ruin the films thou because the man doesn't know the meaning of the words 'over use'

-M

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
1. Possible, though I suspect its more likely going to be stealing from Star Wars Legacy. Sets up a conflict for the empire to be still doing stuff, has a Sith bad guy. I mean that rumour about Jedi hunter a while ago (probably mainly false) sounds a little like the opening to Legacy.

2. might work if you had it as another level of Sith controlling the galaxy and all are leaders of megacorps etc. This wouldn't be impossible considering early idea of the emperor being a puppet and Bane's rule of two being thrown away. On the other hand the idea doesn't really fit into the star wars style and would remind people too much of the separatists from the prequels.

3. Another strong possibility though I would go larger, what if fox takes the view that the hate for the prequels means we don't want to see massive alien cities and loads of world and galactic politics. Instead we get a smaller scale story across a few worlds using the recycled continued rebellion idea (would feed into the idea of using Legacy).

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Jandau said:
5 ways J.J. Abrams can ruin Star Wars? Oh, that's easy!

1. By directing it
2. By helping someone direct it
3. By doing any other major role, like writing or producing it
4. By starring in it
5. By being present in the same building where someone else is making it

There, question answered! :)
Or you could sum it up with "by being JJ Abrams" and save four slots.

I don't think Abrams is necessarily bad, but hooboy are there a lot of ways he could ruin Star Wars. And many of them don't involve the actual story the movie will be telling.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I read the artical and it was a good laugh. But now I have this bad feeling in the pit of my stomach that in a year's time we will look back on this artical and think 'Damn, if only the movie was as good as these suggestions'.

Jan 12, 2012
exobook said:
2. might work if you had it as another level of Sith controlling the galaxy and all are leaders of megacorps etc. This wouldn't be impossible considering early idea of the emperor being a puppet and Bane's rule of two being thrown away. On the other hand the idea doesn't really fit into the star wars style and would remind people too much of the separatists from the prequels.
Plus, that always struck me as a cheap out on storytelling. "Oh no, the bad guy from the past 3 movies/year of comics/series of novels/etc/ is actually being controlled by this other person/ Guess you have to go and fight them!" It undercuts the entire threat that the original person posed if they were just a secret lieutenant.

OT: This felt kind of like a Chris Bucholz article from Cracked; started with a plausible premise, then gradually became more insane. I liked it.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I'll mostly be let down if he makes a high octane action movies stuffed with explosions and lightsaber duels. I'm hoping for something a bit more patient, something that takes its time, just like the old movies. If he delivers that, then i don't think i can be too dissapointed. I know he's capable of something like this, the first half of Super8 had a lot of potential, just too bad that Abrams has problems ending his movies, something Kasdan might be able to fix.

Tahmoh

Sep 1, 2008
the fact he's actually built life sized sets for the falcon and other ships and seems to be aiming for a more original trilogy feel for the film makes me hope he's going to avoid the usual jjisms and tell a really fun star wars story....im expecting lens flare though as a jj film without it just doesnt seem possible :)

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Phil Owen said:
Because this is a J.J. movie, we're probably not going to know anything about the plot or story before the metaphoric film (RIP) begins to metaphorically roll into theaters around the world...
Or rather we will, but he will tell us we don't and the movie will pretend we didn't, until we are ultimately shown we've actually known for months.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
5 five ways J.J Abrams could make Star Wars better

1. Kill Jar Jar Binks
2. Use practical effects instead of relying to CGI
3. Have multiple people to guide him like Lucas's first film.
4. No Lens flare
5. Don't overhype everyone like Phantom Menace.

Bonus* Make it fun again. People are more open to Wangst when they are connected to the characters. Make them fun and lovable instead of putting them into crisis mode.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Less sabre action. In the prequels they were used for everything and it made them boring. I bet they would open a can of beans with them if they couldnt fine the can opener.

deathmothon

Nov 30, 2013
As someone who mainly enjoyed the giant space battles of the originals, just do more of that than the prequels did JJ.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
After midichlorians and Jar Jar, apart from recruiting high school students to star in it, could it really get worse?

Keji Goto

Nov 28, 2012
1.) I don't think this could work because we got to see Vader's face just as he died in Return of the Jedi... Or are we forgetting about him taking off his mask so he could see Luke for the first time with his own eyes? Also there is the whole him appearing as a force ghost in the final scene in the original edit which also confirms that he did actually die... Oh yea and we saw quite a bit of Anakin during the prequel trilogy which again makes it hard to suddenly completely change the character into someone else.

I highly doubt this idea would come to pass in any form unless it involved bringing someone like Boba Fett back but again we saw him as a child in Attack of the Clones and he was also featured in the animated series The Clone Wars.

2.) Something tells me Disney/Lucasfilm aren't looking to retcon anything from the original trilogy. Considering how upset fans have gotten in the past over minor tweaks and edits to the original cuts going in and overhauling pretty much everything to completely change relationships, character development, conflicts, and the over all setup seems like a great way to leave pretty much everyone upset at the whole situation.

3.) Again this just seems like a really obviously bad idea that Disney wouldn't let fly. Pretty much the biggest appeal of Star Wars is use of the force, Jedi vs. Sith, light saber battles, all of that. Suddenly stripping that away because the prequel trilogy dealt with it (are we forgetting that's the whole damn setup of the original trilogy too?) sounds about as stupid as you can get. Abrams may be directing but he's working for Disney/Lucasfilm and they aren't about to let him make incredibly bad decisions like this.

4.) And once again we're looking an obviously bad idea. Midichlorians was a much hated aspect of the prequel trilogy and I doubt they would make Episode VII all about midichlorians let alone even mention them. Abrams is working for a Disney/Lucas Film and neither of those companies are about to let that sort of train wreck out of the station let alone even consider using it in the first place.

5.) This one makes zero sense... Dreamcatcher was an obviously bad film and came out over 10 years ago. I'm not sure why Phil Owen thinks Kasdan has some sort of special attention to the... shit weasels... and wants to force them onto the world but here I am repeating myself once again by stating that Disney/Lucasfilm are overseeing this and both Abrams and Kasdan work for them. I doubt shit weasels are making their way into anything Disney will be producing ever and least of all a Star Wars film that is supposed to get back to the original trilogy.

I feel like this entire list was written with the use of common sense or even a vague understanding of how movie making happens. Abrams and crew aren't the ones calling all the shots and don't have the end all be all power to decide where this movie goes from here. This isn't Abrams company doing a film he wrote and his company is backing, he was hired on to direct and everything has to get approved for production by Disney/Lucasfilm. Does Phil Owen think that someone like Kathleen Kennedy is just gonna let this movie tank because Abrams had some weird idea about the plot which makes no sense or Kasdan wants shit weasels in this?

A vast majority of this list can be immediately tossed out because of Disney/Lucasfilm's involvement and/or past experiences with fans turning on the franchise over bad decisions made with the script.