5 Ways J.J. Abrams Could Ruin Star Wars

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Keji Goto said:
1.) I don't think this could work because we got to see Vader's face just as he died in Return of the Jedi... Or are we forgetting about him taking off his mask so he could see Luke for the first time with his own eyes? Also there is the whole him appearing as a force ghost in the final scene in the original edit which also confirms that he did actually die... Oh yea and we saw quite a bit of Anakin during the prequel trilogy which again makes it hard to suddenly completely change the character into someone else.

I highly doubt this idea would come to pass in any form unless it involved bringing someone like Boba Fett back but again we saw him as a child in Attack of the Clones and he was also featured in the animated series The Clone Wars.

2.) Something tells me Disney/Lucasfilm aren't looking to retcon anything from the original trilogy. Considering how upset fans have gotten in the past over minor tweaks and edits to the original cuts going in and overhauling pretty much everything to completely change relationships, character development, conflicts, and the over all setup seems like a great way to leave pretty much everyone upset at the whole situation.

3.) Again this just seems like a really obviously bad idea that Disney wouldn't let fly. Pretty much the biggest appeal of Star Wars is use of the force, Jedi vs. Sith, light saber battles, all of that. Suddenly stripping that away because the prequel trilogy dealt with it (are we forgetting that's the whole damn setup of the original trilogy too?) sounds about as stupid as you can get. Abrams may be directing but he's working for Disney/Lucasfilm and they aren't about to let him make incredibly bad decisions like this.

4.) And once again we're looking an obviously bad idea. Midichlorians was a much hated aspect of the prequel trilogy and I doubt they would make Episode VII all about midichlorians let alone even mention them. Abrams is working for a Disney/Lucas Film and neither of those companies are about to let that sort of train wreck out of the station let alone even consider using it in the first place.

5.) This one makes zero sense... Dreamcatcher was an obviously bad film and came out over 10 years ago. I'm not sure why Phil Owen thinks Kasdan has some sort of special attention to the... shit weasels... and wants to force them onto the world but here I am repeating myself once again by stating that Disney/Lucasfilm are overseeing this and both Abrams and Kasdan work for them. I doubt shit weasels are making their way into anything Disney will be producing ever and least of all a Star Wars film that is supposed to get back to the original trilogy.

I feel like this entire list was written with the use of common sense or even a vague understanding of how movie making happens. Abrams and crew aren't the ones calling all the shots and don't have the end all be all power to decide where this movie goes from here. This isn't Abrams company doing a film he wrote and his company is backing, he was hired on to direct and everything has to get approved for production by Disney/Lucasfilm. Does Phil Owen think that someone like Kathleen Kennedy is just gonna let this movie tank because Abrams had some weird idea about the plot which makes no sense or Kasdan wants shit weasels in this?

A vast majority of this list can be immediately tossed out because of Disney/Lucasfilm's involvement and/or past experiences with fans turning on the franchise over bad decisions made with the script.
You said it better than me... except I'd like to add that like it or not Abrams' Star Trek reboots have been successful and critically acclaimed. And I'm part of the rottentomatoes 90% who loved Into Darkness.

Keji Goto

Nov 28, 2012
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Keji Goto said:
You said it better than me... except I'd like to add that like it or not Abrams' Star Trek reboots have been successful and critically acclaimed. And I'm part of the rottentomatoes 90% who loved Into Darkness.
Thank you for that.

And I wasn't a fan of the original Star Trek show or movies so I'm not in that group loved the originals. However I did enjoy both films for what they were and look forward to seeing where the third movie goes from here.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Keji Goto said:
Keji Goto said:
Thank you for that.

And I wasn't a fan of the original Star Trek show or movies so I'm not in that group loved the originals. However I did enjoy both films for what they were and look forward to seeing where the third movie goes from here.
I actually loved both the originals and the reboots but also realize they're different things and both exist in different timelines. I must be a rare person because I don't let my past loves color new things. I judge them on the merits they have as is. Of course I'm also a gamer who liked ME3, and other unpopular things... Sometimes I feel I don't fit with the majority of this site with my opinions, but that's ok with me. I like being the outsider.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Well at least if JJ ripped of KOTOR it would get a few more people into SWTOR and they could afford to actually make some content for once.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
The Emperor/Palpatine is a perfect villain, in that there's nothing left to add to or take from him that could be an improvement. If they change anything about him, then they're undercutting all the other movies.

Which sounds exactly like the sort of thing you'd do if you wanted to make the new movie relevant. Fuck me.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
Keji Goto said:
Keji Goto said:
Thank you for that.

I actually loved both the originals and the reboots but also realize they're different things and both exist in different timelines. I must be a rare person because I don't let my past loves color new things. I judge them on the merits they have as is. Of course I'm also a gamer who liked ME3, and other unpopular things... Sometimes I feel I don't fit with the majority of this site with my opinions, but that's ok with me. I like being the outsider.
I'm in the same boat as you over here. Adore the Original Star Trek shows and movies (except for half the TNG movies, Enterprise... and sometimes Voyager.) And I like the reboot movies (the first more than the second) and really enjoy the Ongoing Comic based on those movies. Also being a comic fan I never complain or nitpick about differences between the comics and movies.

Also liked the ME3 ending.

Hmm... are you sure you're not me?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
DeimosMasque said:
Keji Goto said:
Keji Goto said:
Thank you for that.

I'm in the same boat as you over here. Adore the Original Star Trek shows and movies (except for half the TNG movies, Enterprise... and sometimes Voyager.) And I like the reboot movies (the first more than the second) and really enjoy the Ongoing Comic based on those movies. Also being a comic fan I never complain or nitpick about differences between the comics and movies.

Also liked the ME3 ending.

Hmm... are you sure you're not me?
Well, could be a quantum event that tossed one of us into this timestream... Who knows?

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
Well, could be a quantum event that tossed one of us into this timestream... Who knows?
Well I'll just bounce a graviton particle beam off the main deflector dish. Then I'll use my multi-spectral quantum tachyon anti-proton device and we'll see if we can get this all sorted out.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
DeimosMasque said:
Well I'll just bounce a graviton particle beam off the main deflector dish. Then I'll use my multi-spectral quantum tachyon anti-proton device and we'll see if we can get this all sorted out.
We could do a slingshot around the sun and pray our shields and SIF hold up under the stress.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
I don't think Mr Abrams can ruin Star Wars anymore than Lucas did in the prequels. The bar is so low that just about anything would be an improvement.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
th3dark3rsh33p said:
I don't think Mr Abrams can ruin Star Wars anymore than Lucas did in the prequels. The bar is so low that just about anything would be an improvement.
To loosely adapt a quote from the Plinkett reviews:
"Well it can't be worse than the Prequel Trilogy. Maybe we'll just look back at those as 'those really bad ones'. You try to rationalize that at least this time there wasn't going to be a little kid or anything. You had no idea that the nightmare of your existence had only just begun."

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
VoidWanderer said:
After midichlorians and Jar Jar, apart from recruiting high school students to star in it, could it really get worse?
Pardon my presumption, but I'm less worried about Star Wars getting worse and more worried that it won't get any better.

How do I explain this concisely..

OK, remember Star Trek?
Rick Berman spent a decade mismanaging Star Trek, eventually fans got fed up and fled the franchise in droves.
Eventually it died.

Years later, during this explosion of Hollywood nostalgia-sploitation, some exec decided to reboot Star Trek for easy money, and handed the project to J.J. Abrams.

So Abrams took what he knew of Star Trek, dissected the culturally recognizable bits, and plopped them into a generic Hollywood action movie.

Star Trek 09' has Star Trek on the label and it has some flavorful bits from Star Trek in it...but it isn't Star Trek.
It's the Bacos version of Star Trek. Either way, the public loved it, so naturally it was a "successful" reboot.

But I can't help but feel that nothing has really improved for Star Trek as a result because...it isn't really Star Trek.
I don't hate the films, but I never once had this sense that I was watching Star Trek; just a bunch of references to them.

5 years later, and I find myself in an eerily familiar situation with Star Wars.

I won't beat around bush here: George Lucas obviously had no idea how to write a good script for the prequels, and ended up making three shitty, but popular action movies. While Lucas made a lot of money, hindsight has not been kind to the prequels.

And once again Abrams is up to bat to bring an old franchise back to the public eye...
Hell, even the elimination of the Expanded Universe feels kinda similar to how Abrams eliminated the original canon universe from the equation in his Trek films. Or at least that's how I take it.

So I'm apprehensive about this. Will Star Wars still be Star Wars with Abrams at the helm?

leberkaese

May 16, 2014
He will destroy it the following way:

Episode VII: Abrams will create some sort of mystery and he'll end the movie with a huge cliffhanger. We won't know anything about this mystery except that it's exciting!
Episode VIII: You'd expect at least some hints on how the mystery will resolve, do you? Nope. Even more mystery around that mystery!
Episode IX: Abrams remembers: "oh! That mystery! Right... You know what? I didn't even think about what the mystery even is about... some sort of resolution... Can't think of anything that makes sense. Here, take some overly convoluted stuff that explains nothing instead."

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Those are some truly terrible ideas. I salute you for thinking up so many of them.

Although, I do like the idea in number four. Having the Jedi turn out to be the bad guys, at least from the main character's point of view. Now the moment the Jedi do something truly evil, like kill an innocent or threaten the guy's family or something, they are no longer Jedi, but I think that story might have potential if done right.
J.J. Abrams is not an option for that though.

Mar 26, 2008
JimB said:
I own the literary copy of Dreamcatcher and have read it. I have also seen the movie (and consider it a fucking abortion, if you're conducting a poll). So, while I understand what the shit-weasels are, I don't get what all that about redeeming them and how we'll love them all is supposed to mean. Anyone mind sharing the story on that?
I really liked the book and I thought the movie up until the half-way point was incredibly accurate to it... and then it went to hell in the second half. Despite the acting being a touch wooden, at least he got actors who looked like and had the mannerisms of the characters (except for Donnie Wahlberg - wtf?).

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Programmed_For_Damage said:
I thought the movie up until the half-way point was incredibly accurate.
In order to avoid a derail, I won't debate my intense distaste for the cinematic translation. I'd just like to understand what the talk about the shit-weasels being redeemed means.

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
I heard a rumor there will be Jedi Hunters who are highly trained by the Sith and not force sensitive, which sounds like Sith Assassins from KOTOR2 to me. There are a lot of Jedi Hunters across the board in Star Wars, but part of the rumors is these Jedi Hunters are left overs from Order 66. It just sounds very much like the Sith Assassins of KOTOR2 who were trained up by Revan and still hunting Jedi down so many years after the wars were over. Under new Sith leadership of course, but if Atton Rand's dark side mindset is any indication, these people are addicted to torturing and killing Jedi, with or without Sith leadership.