5-Year-Old Breaks TV, Mother Murders Him

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
5-Year-Old Breaks TV, Mother Murders Him

Kim Crawford has been charged with killing her young son after the boy broke a television while playing with his Nintendo Wii.

Prosecutors allege that Crawford went into a rage following the TV's destruction, and that the woman admits to "hitting the boy hard in the back and stomach."

By the time police arrived at the Crawford home, young Jamar Johnson was unconscious and had stopped breathing. An autopsy confirmed that the child suffered "internal abdominal injuries."

It's interesting to note that Crawford's attorney is not arguing for the woman's innocence. While she acknowledges that Crawford attacked her son, she claims that the New York City resident had no intention of killing the child.

Currently Crawford is being held without bond in the Bronx. Presumably, a sentencing hearing is imminent.

Attentive gamers will recall that this "Wii breaks TV" phenomenon is far from novel. A cursory Google search for Wiimote-damaged HDTVs [http://www.google.com/search?q=wii+breaks+tv&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a] brings up thousands of examples of people flailing wildly and accidentally launching Nintendo's motion-activated controller through the screen of their expensive media box.

That said, I do believe this is the most tragic incident to spring from the console's existence. I refuse to condemn the woman until the courts are done with her, but of all the reasons to beat your child to death -- and there really aren't any good ones -- this has to place pretty high on the list of "most despicable."

Source: MSNBC [http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43478578/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/t/mom-kills--year-old-over-broken-tv-prosecutors/]
(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/nakken18/5496160275/])

OctalLord

May 20, 2010
Do we have any idea what the age of the mother was? There's no way a grown adult hit their child(Or anyone) in the stomach without knowing it would hurt them incredibly.

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
This is horrific. As the father of a young child myself, I feel ill that a parent could do such a thing to their child. Even following her logic that even if she didn't mean to kill her child, a broken TV...or ANYTHING is not grounds for striking a child. Things can be replaced, people cannot.

I hope she goes to jail, and maybe accidentally put on death row.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
No sane attorney would waste his breath trying to argue that she didn't hit the child, so now it's all about trying to say that, well, she didn't mean to kill him. Of course the prosecution will point out that he sustained such injuries that even if she hadn't set out to kill him, she clearly didn't care if he lived or died.

I'll condemn the woman right now, thank you very much.

Captcha: Nationa War. It's trying to tell me something.

ajofflight

Jun 5, 2010
This is tragic, and maybe I'm a terrible person, but when I saw the article title, the first thing I thought was "Dude, if you break the TV, my mom will kill me". I know, I'm an awful person, but I had this exact conversation hundreds of times. Sad, sad story, and I will not condemn the mother unless there are some real tests done to determine this woman's state of mind.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
The "I beat him to death while simply trying to beat him as a means of negative re-enforcement defence"... that's pretty old school.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
i understand that level of rage, but i've never killed something significant (maybe a few ants) during my fits of rage.

this is just a matter of all the worst combination of bad design choices with something mainly kids love, combined with kids lack of dexterity, and a nearby parent's poor impulse control

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
inb4 some media outlet trying to put the "TV IS DOING THIS TO OUR SOCIETY" spin on this.
When really it's just a really horrible human being who had god knows what wrong with her head, why would she have a child if she thought watching daytime TV is more worthwhile than raising your own 5 year old son to an extent where she gets angry at him for destroying a minor pass-time?

Jun 7, 2010
And this is why you wear the fucking safety strap. I'm not usually supportive of the death penalty but in this case i'm making an exception. It's at times like this I wish there was a hell for scum like this *****.

Of all the things you could kill someone over... A motherfucking TV. What the fuck is this world coming to.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
At least her attorney has the sense to plea guilty and get a reduced sentence, rather than the countless others who plead innocent, are found guilty anyway, and have to deal with the maximum sentence.

Secret world leader (shhh) said:
Of all the things you could kill someone over... A motherfucking TV. What the fuck is this world coming to.
To be honest, are we really surprised? For all we know the mother might have had some sort of mental health history, or anger issues, or resentment towards her child in the first place. I'm not justifying it by any means; i'm just saying i'm really not surprised or shocked by such a headline. For all we know she might have been struggling to earn a pittance in a crummy job and can barely afford anything, hence the rubbish TV in the photo (assuming it's the TV that was smashed) with her son only adding to all the financial trouble, and then he goes and breaks something that she probably can't afford to replace - it's little wonder she lashed out at him all of a sudden. Still, anger and / or financial issues are no excuse for physical abuse.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
The Plunk said:
The vast majority of people will be parents at some point in their lives. And yet, we expect people to just magically know how to raise a kid. If they taught basic parenting classes in schools we could avoid many cases of people failing as parents such as this one. I really can't see any reason why this would be a bad idea.
I'm not going to argue, because I don't think it's a bad idea, BUT, there are people who would complain about government interference, or the costs.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
mattaui said:
No sane attorney would waste his breath trying to argue that she didn't hit the child, so now it's all about trying to say that, well, she didn't mean to kill him. Of course the prosecution will point out that he sustained such injuries that even if she hadn't set out to kill him, she clearly didn't care if he lived or died.

I'll condemn the woman right now, thank you very much.

Captcha: Nationa War. It's trying to tell me something.
Actually, I'd say you've hit the nail on the head there. Truth is, she almost certainly didn't intend to kill him- I highly doubt she thought "fuck, he's broken the TV! I'll kill the little shit and bury him in a shallow grave!" But yes, she clearly didn't care much for him or she wouldn't have been so violent no matter what he'd done.

Still, when you look at it rationally, it seems more like a case of manslaughter than murder. I'm not attempting to excuse it in any way -in fact, I still think the ***** should be dragged out and shot for it, even striking a child in your care in inexcusably evil- but from a purely legal prespective, that's what it is.

God I hate the world.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
The Plunk said:
The vast majority of people will be parents at some point in their lives. And yet, we expect people to just magically know how to raise a kid. If they taught basic parenting classes in schools we could avoid many cases of people failing as parents such as this one. I really can't see any reason why this would be a bad idea.
"Don't beat your kid to death" isn't the kind of thing that you should need school to learn.