50 NES Quotes Every Gamer Should Know

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
50 NES Quotes Every Gamer Should Know

Test your NES hipster cred or simply brighten your day with this bizarre collection of classic quotable oddities.

For better or worse, 50 NES quotes [http://www.sydlexia.com/] and accompanying screen grabs from classic games all in one place for you to deconstruct and laugh at. This nostalgia-invoking medley should evoke at least a chuckle and a few nods of recognition among those of you who rocked the NES hardcore back in the day. It may even inspire some to break out the ancient machine and test their cartridge blowing skills.

Some of the best quotes include "A winner is you" (Pro Wrestling), "I feel asleep!!" (Metal Gear), and "I am Error" (Zelda II). Such gems are scattered amidst more thought-provoking entries like "It's a secret to everybody" (The Legend of Zelda), "You have completed a great game. And prooved the justice of our culture" (Ghostbusters), and "I drink to prepare for a fight. Tonight I am very prepared!" (Punch Out!). Ah yes, the marvelous days of poor localization. There are plenty more where those came from.

It's almost a shame that Japanese to English translation in the gaming industry has improved so much in the past 20 years.

shadowbird

Feb 22, 2007
Oh my god, thank you so much. :D I just love Engrish; the better modern games get at localization, the more quaint and funny the old mistakes seem by comparison. :)

JakalMc

Nov 26, 2008
"I'm fairly confident that the last thing I'd ever want to do is hide my peter in a parrot and do him, do him so far."

That cracked me up.

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
My Favourite:

EDIT:
And I guess, this one:

EDIT EDIT:
Oh, go on then.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Oh lawd, look at the uncensored Bionic Commando quote:

Censored:GET THE HECK OUT OF HERE, YOU NERD!

The original line was: "Get the fuck out of here, you cocksmoker, or I will cut out your eyes with my pocket knife and while you lay suffering in a pool of your own blood and vomit, I will track down your family, transform into a giant demon covered in swastikas, and tentacle rape every last one of them."

Dechef

Feb 7, 2008
The guy who made this is a very angry person. Funny quotes, though.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Oh lawd, look at the uncensored Bionic Commando quote:

Censored:GET THE HECK OUT OF HERE, YOU NERD!

The original line was: "Get the fuck out of here, you cocksmoker, or I will cut out your eyes with my pocket knife and while you lay suffering in a pool of your own blood and vomit, I will track down your family, transform into a giant demon covered in swastikas, and tentacle rape every last one of them."
...Wow. That's... uh... creative.

Anyway, this article is awesome. I'm so going to print it out at the library and start just randomly using these quotes.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
I just love the quote "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this!"

Sasha Janre

Apr 30, 2008
I still like "This guy are sick" from FF7.

That being said, though, "our princess is in another castle" made me cry when I first played the original mario bros. on the NES. XDD WHY WASN'T I EVER THERE IN TIME? T_T

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
curlycrouton said:
I was going to call bullshit on this list if it didn't include this one.
Having included this quote, I declare this list Erana-approved.
EDIT:
I have to revoke my approval; it failed to mention the Graveyard Duck.

I should point out that there is no duck in the graveyard in Simon's quest. There isn't even a duck!

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
The only one I remember is "I am ERROR" but that is because my experience with the NES was sadly short. I wish I had been born a bit earlier...

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Redlin5 said:
The only one I remember is "I am ERROR" but that is because my experience with the NES was sadly short. I wish I had been born a bit earlier...
Its never too late! You can get remakes and old NES consoles for cheap these days. For the most part, anyway.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Erana said:
Redlin5 said:
Its never too late! You can get remakes and old NES consoles for cheap these days. For the most part, anyway.
Its just that it means more to the player when there is childhood nostalgia attached and he/she hasn't been corrupted by current generation graphics.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Redlin5 said:
Erana said:
Redlin5 said:
Its just that it means more to the player when there is childhood nostalgia attached and he/she hasn't been corrupted by current generation graphics.
I'm younger than you, I hope you realize.
If you can't get into old-school games on your own, try watching Let's Plays. There's a pretty good LP of Uninvited out there.
You have no excuse!
What if you got held up by a madman who threatened to kill you if you couldn't find your way through the Lost Woods in the original Zelda?!

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Erana said:
Redlin5 said:
Erana said:
Redlin5 said:
I'm younger than you, I hope you realize.
If you can't get into old-school games on your own, try watching Let's Plays. There's a pretty good LP of Uninvited out there.
You have no excuse!
What if you got held up by a madman who threatened to kill you if you couldn't find your way through the Lost Woods in the original Zelda?!
Hey, hey, hey! I'm into Let's Play's! I just don't have enough time to check out everyones! Besides, I'm making my own on the youtubes ^-^

Ambition can be a ***** sometimes though. I would like to sit down and watch them all but I've got my future to worry about. That and I want to join the ranks of the LP elite someday...

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
What about "FACE-OFF" & "FIGHT" from Blades of Steel?

EDIT: Post count = Graduation year (as of 12:39am CST on 6/7/10)