50 Reviews :: Portal :: and blasphemy

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
Stranger of Sorts said:
I will be sure to revel in the experience.

>.<
I'm going to chart out our conversation:

Normal --> Silly --> Strange --> Disturbing.

Does that sound about right?
Perfect.

Therumancer said:
I think you missed the point that Portal is tied into the Half Life mythology and referanced within the game. One of the first things "Orange Box" buyers was told was to play through Portal first so they would get the referances.

Understand that Half-Life is pretty much a phenomena, Gordan Freeman is an iconic character to gaming, arguably Half-Life is what made Valve which has been one of the champions of throw downs like March Madness.

I think this is an aspect of the success of Portal that is missed, especially since it was done well. Portal DOES stand alone fairly well, but also understand that the game is aging, and as you pointed out a lot of the humor has been beaten into the ground. Especially on the latter case it's going to influance reviews from people that were jaded to every moment of awesome in the game before they even played.

Such are my thoughts.
I can see what you're going on about, shame I got this as a stand alone. My laptop would explode if I attempted to play Half Life on it.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Stranger of Sorts said:
Heart of Darkness said:
Stranger of Sorts said:
I will be sure to revel in the experience.

>.<
I'm going to chart out our conversation:

Normal --> Silly --> Strange --> Disturbing.

Does that sound about right?
Perfect.
Awesome. Now riddle me this: why am I still posting here when the discussion value has long since evaporated? (And the answer is not "to derail the thread"...although that would be fun...)

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
Awesome. Now riddle me this: why am I still posting here when the discussion value has long since evaporated? (And the answer is not "to derail the thread"...although that would be fun...)
It's one more thing to waste your time on while the hourglass runs dry. Or not.

Heart of Darkness

Jul 1, 2009
Stranger of Sorts said:
Heart of Darkness said:
It's one more thing to waste your time on while the hourglass runs dry. Or not.
Perhaps. Or maybe I just don't want to deal with Game Maker or any other program on my laptop.

Thank GLaDOS for being on the family desktop.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Stranger of Sorts said:
I can see what you're going on about, shame I got this as a stand alone. My laptop would explode if I attempted to play Half Life on it.
I rather doubt that - Half Life is ancient (it was a modified Quake engine title you know!), I guarantee your laptop would have no trouble with it. What you probably meant was Half Life 2, but considering Portal is using that same engine, you may have more success than you think.

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
Perhaps. Or maybe I just don't want to deal with Game Maker or any other program on my laptop.

How's the game going by the way?

Gildan Bladeborn said:
I rather doubt that - Half Life is ancient (it was a modified Quake engine title you know!), I guarantee your laptop would have no trouble with it. What you probably meant was Half Life 2, but considering Portal is using that same engine, you may have more success than you think.
Yeh I meant the second one, it's more an issue of processing. There's a lot more going on in Half Life 2 and I reckon my laptop would simply overheat. Plus I don't really have full use of a mouse. FPSs and a touchpad is not a good mix.

Heart of Darkness

Jul 1, 2009
Stranger of Sorts said:
Heart of Darkness said:

Nearly done, actually. I've finished the framework, all eight endings, and a majority of the resources (sprite edits, music, etc.), and I'm now working on the cutscenes that will make up the entire middle portion of the game. I did one today, as a testbed for what I want to do, and now I just need to assemble the remaining fifteen. I originally wanted it out by my nineteenth birthday (which is on Friday), but it doesn't look like that's going to happen with my work ethic. Hopefully before the middle of next week, though, it should be out.

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
I loved portal for it's originality and constant ingenuity in forcing you to think in ways that can be described only as mindfuck. GLaDOS is one of the best characters in video games. The deranged robotic intelligence with her constant psychological attacks on the character (especially at the end). The humour and plot was a core feature of the game. The game was designed with it in mind as GLaDOS and her personality was mostly formulated in the very beginning of production (I read articles and played the dev commentary). IT's hard to overstate how good the characters (two of them where) and how well the story was incorporated into such a simplistic game (and I am talking about the concept not the reality, the game devs made some difficult puzzles for the advanced ones). It fits into the half life world and while I respect that someone may not enjoy the humour (which was based on black humour, irony and sarcasm all portrayed by a robot that essentially has no feelings).

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
Stranger of Sorts said:
Heart of Darkness said:

Nearly done, actually. I've finished the framework, all eight endings, and a majority of the resources (sprite edits, music, etc.), and I'm now working on the cutscenes that will make up the entire middle portion of the game. I did one today, as a testbed for what I want to do, and now I just need to assemble the remaining fifteen. I originally wanted it out by my nineteenth birthday (which is on Friday), but it doesn't look like that's going to happen with my work ethic. Hopefully before the middle of next week, though, it should be out.
I look forward to playing it... and then tearing it to pieces :)

Heart of Darkness

Jul 1, 2009
Stranger of Sorts said:
Heart of Darkness said:
Stranger of Sorts said:
Heart of Darkness said:

I look forward to playing it... and then tearing it to pieces :)
Nooo! My narrative! D=

Actually, I look forward to someone tearing it apart. Since I'm really weak with creative writing, this should help me get better at it. Along with a ton of practice. (pffft. Like I'm going to do that.)

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
Nooo! My narrative! D=

Actually, I look forward to someone tearing it apart. Since I'm really weak with creative writing, this should help me get better at it. Along with a ton of practice. (pffft. Like I'm going to do that.)
You should. Although I'm proof the practice is not always all you need.

Heart of Darkness

Jul 1, 2009
Stranger of Sorts said:
Heart of Darkness said:
Nooo! My narrative! D=

You should. Although I'm proof the practice is not always all you need.
O know I've should. I've been meaning to write an Ace Attorney fan-fiction to try to develop my skills, but...I've been saying that for the past two months and I haven't even started working on the flow of the case. All I have are some sparsely characterized characters with punny names floating around my head, along with some idea for the murder (obligatory dun-dun-duuuunn!).

It's like me and drawing. I don't draw, because I suck at it, and the only way to get better is to practicing, but practicing only makes me realize how much I suck at it. It's only a downward spiral of self-shame and agony! D=

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
O know I've should. I've been meaning to write an Ace Attorney fan-fiction to try to develop my skills, but...I've been saying that for the past two months and I haven't even started working on the flow of the case. All I have are some sparsely characterized characters with punny names floating around my head, along with some idea for the murder (obligatory dun-dun-duuuunn!).

It's like me and drawing. I don't draw, because I suck at it, and the only way to get better is to practicing, but practicing only makes me realize how much I suck at it. It's only a downward spiral of self-shame and agony! D=
How can you achieve anything if you don't attempt it? Just sit down and type, the rest will come later.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Good review. I disagree completely, but it was a well done view of your opinions regardless.

Bravo.

Heart of Darkness

Jul 1, 2009
Stranger of Sorts said:
Heart of Darkness said:

How can you achieve anything if you don't attempt it? Just sit down and type, the rest will come later.
I know. It's just that I get discouraged really easily. I know I shouldn't, especially since the drawing class I took last semester proved to me that I can draw (but I REALLY hated the class...). And I think part of it is that I'm also easily distracted. I mean, I would like to do this, but Internet is so distracting.

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
I know. It's just that I get discouraged really easily. I know I shouldn't, especially since the drawing class I took last semester proved to me that I can draw (but I REALLY hated the class...). And I think part of it is that I'm also easily distracted. I mean, I would like to do this, but Internet is so distracting.
Distracting it is. But willpower is a skill that is very useful. Especially when trying to write fan-fiction!

Heart of Darkness

Jul 1, 2009
Stranger of Sorts said:
Heart of Darkness said:
Distracting it is. But willpower is a skill that is very useful. Especially when trying to write fan-fiction!
"Phoenix Wright used OBJECTION! It's super effective! Foe Miles Edgeworth fainted!"

...okay, so a Pokemon cross-over won't work here...

And I need more willpower. I really do. Sometimes I--OOH! CHOCOLATE DOUGHNUTS!
*om nom nom nom~*

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
Stranger of Sorts said:
Heart of Darkness said:
"Phoenix Wright used OBJECTION! It's super effective! Foe Miles Edgeworth fainted!"

*om nom nom nom~*
Even the temptation of the internet can never match up to doughnuts. And if it ever does... God help us all.

Anyway we should probably end this soon. The people who've just written reviews will be pissed off since this thread keeps getting bumped on top of theirs.

Heart of Darkness

Jul 1, 2009
Stranger of Sorts said:
Heart of Darkness said:
Stranger of Sorts said:
Heart of Darkness said:

*om nom nom nom~*
Even the temptation of the internet can never match up to doughnuts. And if it ever does... God help us all.

Anyway we should probably end this soon. The people who've just written reviews will be pissed off since this thread keeps getting bumped on top of theirs.
Probably. Then again, the User Reviews sections moves at the speed of a freight train on a good day, so I really don't think that that'll really be an issue. >.<

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Portal didn't blow me away either. I enjoyed it, it was fun and there wasn't really anything particularly wrong with it but for some reason it just didn't get me that excited. I found it a little... eh... bland.