Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
Stranger of Sorts said:
Heart of Darkness said:
Stranger of Sorts said:
Heart of Darkness said:
I know. It's just that I get discouraged really easily. I know I shouldn't, especially since the drawing class I took last semester proved to me that I can draw (but I REALLY hated the class...). And I think part of it is that I'm also easily distracted. I mean, I would like to do this, but Internet is so distracting.
Distracting it is. But willpower is a skill that is very useful. Especially when trying to write fan-fiction!
"Phoenix Wright used OBJECTION! It's super effective! Foe Miles Edgeworth fainted!"

...okay, so a Pokemon cross-over won't work here...

And I need more willpower. I really do. Sometimes I--OOH! CHOCOLATE DOUGHNUTS!
*om nom nom nom~*
Even the temptation of the internet can never match up to doughnuts. And if it ever does... God help us all.

Anyway we should probably end this soon. The people who've just written reviews will be pissed off since this thread keeps getting bumped on top of theirs.
Probably. Then again, the User Reviews sections moves at the speed of a freight train on a good day, so I really don't think that that'll really be an issue. >.<
A quick check tells me that today is "a good day". Not that it matters, we've completely run out of things to talk about. Haven't we?

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
JEBWrench said:
Good review. I disagree completely, but it was a well done view of your opinions regardless.

Bravo.
Cheers.

MiracleOfSound said:
Portal didn't blow me away either. I enjoyed it, it was fun and there wasn't really anything particularly wrong with it but for some reason it just didn't get me that excited. I found it a little... eh... bland.
It was, however, very shiny.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Stranger of Sorts said:
A quick check tells me that today is "a good day". Not that it matters, we've completely run out of things to talk about. Haven't we?
We can always find more things to talk about. We have barely scratched the surface of topics to babble inanely about!

Other than that, though, I say yes. And I probably should go work on that game now...

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
Stranger of Sorts said:
We can always find more things to talk about. We have barely scratched the surface of topics to babble inanely about!

Other than that, though, I say yes. And I probably should go work on that game now...
Get to it! *whips*

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Stranger of Sorts said:
Heart of Darkness said:
Stranger of Sorts said:

Get to it! *whips*
OW! Stupid German prosecutor lady...

Only those foolishly foolish fools would be foolish enough to call me stupid!

Sikachu

Apr 20, 2010
Portal is a highly enjoyable technical demo. It was very cheap to buy as a standalone and its brevity more or less prevents it from developing much in the way of storyline. No it doesn't deserve plaudits like best game ever etc. but per hour of gameplay it is far more enjoyable and fresh than HL2 was (though not a patch on HL1). We'll see how it develops when they make a full game of it in Portal 2 (and hopefully Episode 3 or HL3).

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
Sikachu said:
Portal is a highly enjoyable technical demo. It was very cheap to buy as a standalone and its brevity more or less prevents it from developing much in the way of storyline. No it doesn't deserve plaudits like best game ever etc. but per hour of gameplay it is far more enjoyable and fresh than HL2 was (though not a patch on HL1). We'll see how it develops when they make a full game of it in Portal 2 (and hopefully Episode 3 or HL3).
Hmmm.. can't say I agree with you too much over the HL/HL 2 bit. Everyone to their own I guess. Anyway thanks for dropping by.

Rasputin1

Don't panic
Apr 6, 2010
spinFX said:
Halo is not all that good!
Half Life is not all that good!
CoD is not all that good!
Mass Effect is not all that good!

It's like Pink Floyd. Can't stand 'em.
I'm gonna have to ask you to step outside sir.

Sev72

Apr 13, 2009
I have to say that I didn't like it much either. I also took advantage of Valve's free sale and tried it this weekend. I was to say the least disappointed. The puzzles were pretty easy, the humor just wasn't there for me (it was basically spoiled by all the internet memes) and out of what they could have done with the portal gun mechanic they managed to do nothing much. The only things you could do with it were redirect the energy balls, or jump off of something high into a portal to get launched, and that was pretty much it.

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
Rasputain1 said:
spinFX said:
Halo is not all that good!
Half Life is not all that good!
CoD is not all that good!
Mass Effect is not all that good!

It's like Pink Floyd. Can't stand 'em.
I'm gonna have to ask you to step outside sir.
You won't get the full extent of this as it's from an English sketch show called Armstrong and Miller but...

It's all kicking off! *window smashes*

Sev72 said:
I have to say that I didn't like it much either. I also took advantage of Valve's free sale and tried it this weekend. I was to say the least disappointed. The puzzles were pretty easy, the humor just wasn't there for me (it was basically spoiled by all the internet memes) and out of what they could have done with the portal gun mechanic they managed to do nothing much. The only things you could do with it were redirect the energy balls, or jump off of something high into a portal to get launched, and that was pretty much it.
Hey look it's someone who agrees with me! You're a rare commodity m'man. And this post is a lot easier on the eye than the few people you've sent me PM's starting with "I'm not saying you're wrong but..."

Oh and thanks for reading, both of you.

Virtual_Dom

Jul 3, 2009
Totally agree with you, but Portal was still great.

I agree that the charm of the game was that it was a such a surprise. This is why I have doubts about Portal 2, because its not a surprise anymore, we know what to expect (assuming we read the wikipedia page)

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
starfox444 said:
I don't think portal is funny. I think it's horrifying. You are taken out of your life, for the sake of a badly put together scientific experiment where the illusion of freedom is falling apart around you.

It's god damn terrifying.
Isn't life just a poorly put together experiment where the illusion of freedom has long since vanished?

Virtual_Dom said:
Totally agree with you, but Portal was still great.

I agree that the charm of the game was that it was a such a surprise. This is why I have doubts about Portal 2, because its not a surprise anymore, we know what to expect (assuming we read the wikipedia page)
While I agree with you, I do hope it is amazing. For Valve's sake if anything.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Portal deserved all the praise it got. An original gameplay idea that is actually fun has become an extremely rare thing in game land.
Have some decent production values too and what you get is a classic. No way around it.

lord canti

May 30, 2009
I', glad I'm not the only one who thinks portal is a good game but is completely overatted.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Something tells me you're just not into puzzle games. Saying that completing the puzzles is just as useful as planting crops in FarmVille is like saying that living a life is just as important as throwing rocks at a brick wall. You have to appreciate something for what it is, rather than ***** about how it never accomplishes anything.

(I liked Portal alot, but I do agree about the overrated-ness)

Contradiction

May 20, 2009
people need to stop complaining about the hype its received after a friend of mine replayed it late 2009 we started talking about it again it was still good
Everyone seems to think that its charm wears because of all of the net jokes floatin' around but I first played it early 2009 and loved it...
Same thing with another friend of mine who has had to live with all of us talking about it before he even played it still loved it.
The story is there if you want it... seriously it is.
The atmosphere is great the jokes are funny...
The puzzles were good BUT your right it isnt for everyone. like all good games there are a lot of people with fond memories of it! who cares if its not replayable! I'll remember my sparse hours with portal more than my not so sparse ;] hours of cod or halo

Nice review though, because man im not having a go at you just putting another opinion out there.

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
PoisonUnagi said:
Something tells me you're just not into puzzle games. Saying that completing the puzzles is just as useful as planting crops in FarmVille is like saying that living a life is just as important as throwing rocks at a brick wall. You have to appreciate something for what it is, rather than ***** about how it never accomplishes anything.

(I liked Portal alot, but I do agree about the overrated-ness)
The puzzles themselves are not challenging, or indeed that inventive as they could have done so much more with the portal gun, but above all there was no drive to do them. Apart from, that is, to get to the next one which is why I made the comparison.