50 Worst Videogame Voice Acting Moments

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Amnestic said:
Just this one:

Jesus Christ...

Edit: I just realized that I know Yuri and Karen.
WHAT THE HELL DID THEY DO TO SHADOW HEARTS? You bastards, I loved that series.

KazNecro

Jun 1, 2009
Amnestic said:
_zuul said:
worst videogame voice acting moments?

every jrpg ever
Wrong.

Just this one:

Ick! Terrible... but it just reminds me of the Ritalin episode of South Park

I still think House of the Dead 2 has the absolute worst voice-acting job.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
duchaked said:
(wow some people think ODST was badly done? hmm no comment)
The start of ODST wasn't the best scripted scene in the world - was below average. The voice acting was fine, but the scripting itself was suspect. It got better though, so it was okay.

Blimey

Nov 10, 2009
Oh god....oh god....there was some horrible, horrible shit in there. I need to find someway to clean my ears out from that crap.

The Lizard of Odd

Jun 23, 2009
Having spent enough time editing voiceovers recently, most of which come from foreign developers (my company tend to do a lot of localization deals as we take the time to help them edit the script and such), I can tell you that a lot of the time when a game has bad acting without the obvious mistranslation problems, it has to do with their perceptions of what Americans sound like and enjoy. Most countries tend to think we swear every other word (ex. Alone in the Dark 5) and thus fill the mouths of gritty main characters with excessive pointless cussing. Though this is true for some subcultures in the US, I think Australia holds the current record for swearing in the workplace.
They also tend to think we are all the various stereotypes portrayed in movies...I see that a lot with brainless bimbos, which they find funny, but we just tend to find annoying as hell. I'd suggest the gritty brooding male figure but american companies seem to think we like them too. I guess some people must?

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
buy teh haloz said:
Marcus Fenix: THEY R SINKIN CITIEZ WITH A GIANT WOOOORM!!!!11!
Me: You've got to be fucking kidding me.
I think that was bad writing more than anything else.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
Playbahnosh said:
We really need separate categories for "bad voice acting" and "bad foreign voice acting". I mean, it may be a coincidence, but that list is 90% Japanese games. Dub from foreign countries is always corny, and this goes for every country, not just Japan. I mean, I heard far more ridiculous dubs. Go, listen to the English dub of Hard Truck: Apocalypse, and that's a Russian game.
maybe it's just that english actors are not used to make good dubs ?

I cannot talk for other language, but in french our dubs are usually well done(yes there's some attrocity too, but as much as you say there is in english) it would be good the hear someone who play games in german or spanish (or any other language) if it's well done in their language or not...

RemoteControlRox

Aug 24, 2009
Even as much as I love the games, I have to mention the first Ratchet and Clank. The voice acting wasn't the worst I've ever heard, but... wow. A lot of it felt like everyone was getting a feel for the characters. Thankfully, things have improved by leaps and bounds since the first game.

Erana said:
*spoilers in this video*
This game had some of the worst voice acting ever.
It just ruins any immersion you could've gotten from the game.
Not to mention some horrible writing. The written dialogue was laughably bad.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Hardcore_gamer said:
True, though when put into context with the game it doesn't really sound that bad. I for one did not laugh or find the line stupid when i first heard it.
Yeah good point. It's a giant worm, not too many ways to describe it are there? :p

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I've seen a video of Lost: Via Domus where Charlie trips after being chased by the smoke monster.

"M-m-monster!" he screams. It's truly awful.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
cathou said:
Playbahnosh said:
We really need separate categories for "bad voice acting" and "bad foreign voice acting". I mean, it may be a coincidence, but that list is 90% Japanese games. Dub from foreign countries is always corny, and this goes for every country, not just Japan. I mean, I heard far more ridiculous dubs. Go, listen to the English dub of Hard Truck: Apocalypse, and that's a Russian game.
maybe it's just that english actors are not used to make good dubs ?

I cannot talk for other language, but in french our dubs are usually well done(yes there's some attrocity too, but as much as you say there is in english) it would be good the hear someone who play games in german or spanish (or any other language) if it's well done in their language or not...
Maybe it's that the dubbers are not always English? In many cases, dubbers are not native English (or whatever language) speakers, just learned it. Or if the company was a cheapass, and hired some third grade college dropouts, handed them a paper and told them to read it into the mic for ten bucks. Whatever the reason, dubs are almost always but a shadow of the original. IMHO.

Cylem

Feb 27, 2009
"What is this ominous light that threatens to engulf us all!?"

...Oh Tales of Symphonia... and Regal. Regal always got the worst lines.

But in terms of just horrible voices? Rempo from Avalon Code made me jump with his screeching. I mean, yeah, he's The Spiky-Haired JRPG Guy, but come on.

EDIT: Oh yes, again with TOS, I was so mad when the second game removed Genis shouting "IT'S PANCAKE TIME!" every time he cast Stalagmite. It was pancake time!

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Amnestic said:
duchaked said:
(wow some people think ODST was badly done? hmm no comment)
The start of ODST wasn't the best scripted scene in the world - was below average. The voice acting was fine, but the scripting itself was suspect. It got better though, so it was okay.
guess maybe that's why I didn't notice

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
The 'He wrote it in his own blood? Way to go kid!' almost killed me with laughter (there's bad writing and then there's that).

The speech in Resident Evil 5 (and to a certain extent 4) also made my ears bleed with sheer stupidity ('it doesn't matter, he's just a terrorist, end of story'), then of course we have the classics (LIIIIIIGHT from DMC, Master of Unlocking from Resi 1 etc.).