50 Years of Space Exploration on One Map

LovelyFaceness

Aug 14, 2009
PureChaos said:
is it weird that more people have commented about being banned if they make a joke than the actual topic?
The scientific community and the videogaming community don't seem to interchange much.

Also, just a minor thing, but ol' Funk here didn't seem to be reading that article too closely. According to his link, the supermassive black hole is 4 million times the mass of our sun, not size.

Tut.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Those images of the centre of the galaxy are pretty cool.

CanadianElite said:
NASA hasn't really done fuck all in the past...well since they put that last guy on the moon.
NASA hasn't done much because ham brained Presidents like Bush keep stripping their budgets.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Sebenko said:
The Great JT said:
50 years, 1 map, 0 interstellar dragons.
And 0 dragons made of rasinbread, either.
Mmmmm, raisinbread...
And NG has actually published other space exploration maps, so the ratio is better than 50:1. They did kinda skimp on this one not detailing every mission, not even providing the names and dates. They coulda done that.
I'm still waiting for the probe to come to attempt contact with the dodo birds.

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
That's pretty cool, but it fails to mention that Voyager has almost left the Solar System. Oh well.

Oct 2, 2009
Kalezian said:
darthcendiarygrenade said:
Kalezian said:
The Great JT said:
50 years, 1 map, 0 interstellar dragons.
or so you THINK!

they are out there, but they are invisible to us................
Look under your couch...
only the pink unicorn under there.

please dont get my hopes up, I almost had a happy, but I still has a sad..........
Sorry, man. My couch had one, so I'd just assumed...

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Its so great, and yet its basically just seeing the tip of the tip of the iceberg. Much more is left to be discovered.

LockeDown

Sep 27, 2009
So a priest, a rabbi, and a map take 50 years to walk into a bar...

OT: I'm honestly surprised. I didn't think we had gotten that far yet. Proof that low expectations can lead to optimism, I suppose.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
008Zulu said:
Those images of the centre of the galaxy are pretty cool.

CanadianElite said:
NASA hasn't really done fuck all in the past...well since they put that last guy on the moon.
NASA hasn't done much because ham brained Presidents like Bush keep stripping their budgets.
And then there are the ham-brained presidents like a certain Kenyan who needs not be named giving 700 billion dollars to his buddies. Not much of that went to NASA, it seems.

OT:
Grayjack72 said:
That's pretty cool, but it fails to mention that Voyager has almost left the Solar System. Oh well.
I assume they didn't mention it because it has(or had, at the time of map creation) not actually left the solar system, IMO.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
CanadianElite said:
Joeshie said:
CanadianElite said:
Hubble. You lose.
a) that's just a big camera. Looking at things isnt that big an accomplishment. That's a smaller deal than a person in space.
b) That thing's getting retired soon.
c) It's nothing compared to Mars; or even a moon base.
I didn't realize making huge discoveries about the universe "isnt that big an accomplishment". The scientific knowledge accumulated from Hubble is far greater than a trip to Mars.

All you are basically interested in is PR events. Sad.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Amnestic said:
If anyone makes a joke about "50 Years, 1 Map" I'm going to ban them.
I...nah, not worth it.

"Eight failed NASA missions, two successful NASA missions."
"Two failed USSR missions, two successful USSR missions."

Ouch, that's an unpleasant ratio right there.
lol, and yet they still have such a huge budget!

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
If anyone makes a joke about "50 Years, 1 Map" I'm going to ban them.
Do you know how hard that makes it for me? Do you know how much effort, and pain i am going through to not make that joke? It is absolutely horrible that you would tempt me with that man! :D

Still, only 50 years? That's not even one lifetime. That's really impressive considering how long it takes for other things build up on this planet.

Damn.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
1 map from 50 years of study? That's good, since that's as much as we got for missions. Now I wanna see them try and get all the data to make a map of the galaxy from what they got with Hubble.

...That'd be one huge map. One I'd love to look at.