$500 Gran Turismo 5 Racing Wheel Roars Down the Track

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
$500 Gran Turismo 5 Racing Wheel Roars Down the Track

You may have boiled over with rage every time it was delayed and squeed with delight when it finally came out, but you're not a serious Gran Turismo [http://www.amazon.com/Gran-Turismo-5-Playstation-3/dp/B002BSA1C6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291657380&sr=8-1] fan until you take home one of the hot, sexy and super-expensive new racing wheels coming soon from Thrustmaster.

HOTAS Warthog [http://www.thrustmaster.com] joystick, and soon its stable will be joined by a Gran Turismo 5 racing wheel that makes all others look pale in comparison.

The T500RS racing wheel uses the same HEART (Hall Effect AccuRate Technology) system that's in the Warthog throttles, using 3D magnetic sensors with the "surgical precision" of 16 bit resolution, with "65,536 values on the steering." It's also crazy expensive: word on the street, according to Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/05/thrustmaster-teases-t500rs-steering-wheel-the-new-official-peri/], is that the base model wheel - that is, without the optional H-pattern shifter - is going to list for $500. As the promo teaser says, this is "a wheel that not just anyone should get their hands on."

500 bucks for a game controller? I'm as much a fan of realism as the next guy, but that's a bit much. On the other hand, Thrustmaster clearly isn't aiming these beasts at the mass market and you're not very likely to just pick one up off the shelf at Walmart. Fortunately for demanding gamers who don't have quite that much bulge in their budget, there's another officially-licensed Gran Turismo wheel on the market from Logitech that's still impressive, if not quite as jaw-dropping: the Driving Force GT [http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/wheels/devices/4172], a force-feedback wheel with integrated shifter that goes for just $150. And 150 clams suddenly doesn't sound so bad, does it?

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
There is no way I would ever consider 500 dollars for a wheel...Unless its for my ACTUAL CAR. haha So insane...I doubt I'd even spend 150 dollars for a game that I already spent 60 dollars on.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Pirate Kitty said:
Mr.Pandah said:
There is no way I would ever consider 500 dollars for a wheel...Unless its for my ACTUAL CAR. haha So insane...I doubt I'd even spend 150 dollars for a game that I already spent 60 dollars on.
$500 for an actual wheel is too much.

I'll be maybe picking this game up from the bargain bin in a year or so.
I understand that, its just I rather have something that will actually benefit me in some fashion. A 500 dollar wheel...after I'm done with Gran Turismo would just...seem like the biggest waste to me, but to each their own I suppose. heh.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
What's the rotation radius on this wheel? If it can't compete with the G25/G27's 900 degree rotation, then it's just an overpriced hunk of junk in my opinion.

I think I'll stick with my G25, thanks.

NOOOB1

Dec 6, 2010
TestECull said:
500 dollars?!

For that price I can buy an actual car and convert that into a game lounge!
Speaking of, I wonder why no one has ever done this outside of the Daytona racing arcade machines....

Nightfalke

Just this guy, you know?
Sep 10, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
The company is legendary among gamers of a certain age
Seriously. Thrustmaster are gods when it comes to joysticks. Back when people actually played (and companies actually made) games like X-Wing and Wing Commander, a Thrustmaster joystick was the pinnacle of gaming back then.

I wish I could have afforded one back in the day, and now, it's just a waste as no games would ever use it anymore.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I lost track of Thrustmaster years ago but I coveted an FLCS/WCS combo for years, back in the day. I settled for a very nice CH F16/Pro Throttle/pedals setup which served me well for years (and which I still have, although it's basically useless at this point) but sadly my flight simmming days are behind me, so there's no way I can justify something similar in a current setup. I don't take driving sims nearly seriously enough to justify even the Driving Force GT; I've got a Wingman FFB wheel I hardly ever use and it's plenty enough for me.

Short version: Thrustmaster doesn't dick around.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Pirate Kitty said:
Mr.Pandah said:
Pirate Kitty said:
Mr.Pandah said:
$500 for an actual wheel is too much.

I'll be maybe picking this game up from the bargain bin in a year or so.
I understand that, its just I rather have something that will actually benefit me in some fashion. A 500 dollar wheel...after I'm done with Gran Turismo would just...seem like the biggest waste to me, but to each their own I suppose. heh.
Yeah. Some people pay money for a Wii, lol. Guess some will pay for anything :p
And buying a Wii is a bad thing? Oh no. I made a mistake then. I mean the Wii's been my primary system for 4 years now and it's been a mistake all along.