Cliffy B: Heavy Rain's Children Are "Hideous"

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Cliffy B: Heavy Rain's Children Are "Hideous"

Are Heavy Rain's children the scariest part of the game?

GameReactor [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=74389], Cliffy B jokingly labeled the game's children as "hideous."

Quantic Dream's fusion of movie and videogame was brought up after Bleszinski said that action is in Epic's "DNA" and the developer won't be making the next Heavy Rain anytime soon. On the title, Bleszinski stated: "I don't think they have done enough to avoid the 'uncanny valley' problems."

The "uncanny valley" is a term used to describe a certain phenomenon where virtual characters become more and more appealing to the human brain until they reach a certain point very close to reality. At this point, the appeal sharply drops, creating a situation where realistic characters can actually repulse more than those that are abstract.

"The children in the game are some of the most hideous I have seen," Bleszinski continued. "Ever." Let's face it, he's right, even though Heavy Rain's character depictions are some of the most lifelike we've seen in recent times. Every once in a while, they look a little freaky.

Before you label the comment a bash on Heavy Rain, Bleszinski later tweeted: "This was a JOKE people. Some gaming "press" is becoming *very* tabloid these days. I LOVE Heavy Rain." Just because he loves the game, though, doesn't mean it isn't swimming in a valley of uncanny. Heavy Rain's characters are probably on the forward edge of the uncanny valley, but at times looking at young Jason and Shaun's faces did make me want to uncontrollably throttle them. That's the uncanny valley for you.

Source: VG247 [http://www.gamereactor.eu/articles/3866/Interview%3A+Cliff+Bleszinski/]

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I don't suffer effects of the Uncanny Valley. The "hilariously bad" faces in Oblivion didn't break the immersion for me at all.

I feel... so alone...

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
I can't believe that I ninja'd [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/9.195855] Cliffy B... crazy.

Feb 13, 2008
Nature is a cruel mistress.

Please rate the following babies in order of cuteness:

You rated members of other species higher than your own, didn't you?

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
It's so easy to dip into the uncanny valley.

It can be avoided though, even with ultrarealistic characters. Good character design, animations and a slight cartoony sheen can do wonders. It's been so long since Half Life 2 release, but still no video game character has a face quite as good as Alyx Vance. Though even she can slip a little when outside a scripted event.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
lacktheknack said:
I don't suffer effects of the Uncanny Valley. The "hilariously bad" faces in Oblivion didn't break the immersion for me at all.

I feel... so alone...
I felt the same way. I didn't notice anything wrong with the faces.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Obviously. 2 is the best, because I love rottweilers. I could hug them and adore them day and night, puppies and older dogs alike. Then the gecko. I hate cats and I find human babies to be noisy, ugly and disgusting. So they are out of the order.

So, for me it would be 2, 2, 2 and then 4.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009

That kitty looks kinda mental xD
And yes, I did rate the animal babies higher then the human baby...

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Yes, I admit I found the kitten the cutest of all the other babies on there but I have excuses as to why. I cannot stand children, I don't like dogs, and the last one will grow up to try and kill ya if you get to close to it.

The children in Heavy Rain did not bother me, besides the annoying voices that all children have.

Shru1kan

Dec 10, 2009
ultrachicken said:
lacktheknack said:

I feel... so alone...
I felt the same way. I didn't notice anything wrong with the faces.
Same but the faces in heavy rain are a lot closer to normal than oblivion, which is cartoony by comparison.

When it's very close, it bugs me to no end.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
You're goddamn right I did! Fuck babies man, kitties are so much much cuter.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Oh look, another person whose opinion I don't care about. Considering Cliffy B thinks himself as John Romero's godson, are we to be surprised?

You, sir, are the king of irony. :) I rate them all equally.

The Thief

Apr 24, 2008
No game I've played so far has gone deep enough into the uncanny valley to become visually repulsive. From what I've seen of Heavy Rain, the animation seemed a little off-putting at times but the graphics never bothered me.

The only time the uncanny valley has really disturbed me is with robots; Some of the creepier ones give me nightmares.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
He's right. The kids looked horrible. So did Madison. Scott looked good though.

Then again, I think the Gears characters look ridiculous.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Well I suppose the good news is that after the first 2 hours or so, Children don't show up as much, but I think the whole hideous movement applies to all characters, not just the children.

Yes, Ethan Mars does look Lifelike, but on occasion he does make a face that I can't help, but grimace at.

Niracas

Dec 3, 2009

Was I the only one who rated number 4 the highest? Well, ok, then I guess im just a crazy guy then