Review: ModNation Racers

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

It's LittleBig Racers, though with a bit more ease of use and a bit less charm.

Read Full Article

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Awww. If you made Char would have been epic!

Looks like a fun little muck about at least

capacollo

Nov 17, 2009
Meh, don't understand the attraction of a game with its focus on the ability to mod rather than creating a "sound" game. Based on the review itself being a standard kart racing game with a superb facility for modding is not justification for me to buy the game. I prefer to base it on its game play and story (and even not so much multi-player support). But that's just me and understand why others would find this enjoyable if only for the ability to mod.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
capacollo said:
Meh, don't understand the attraction of a game with its focus on the ability to mod rather than creating a "sound" game. Based on the review itself being a standard kart racing game with a superb facility for modding is not justification for me to buy the game. I prefer to base it on its game play and story (and even not so much multi-player support). But that's just me and understand why others would find this enjoyable if only for the ability to mod.
I actually agree with this. Good customization options and mod support can greatly improve a game, but I don't like it when it becomes the main draw of the game. To me it's just a cool extra that's not worth much if the core game isn't good. It's like the devs go "here's a toolset, go make our game fun." I don't want to have to rely on user-generated content to have a fun game.

razormint21

Mar 29, 2010
OOOOOOHHH

The creative person in me is pleased!!
Imma get one just for kicks, thanks for the review John!!

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
I Like the fact of haveing a game based around user made content but the problem, well not really a problem but something I find strange is that, in a game where you can "mod" your charcter to whatever you want does everyone rush in and try's to make Mario?

I'm glad we all enjoy those games and movies but isn't kinda wrong to have the title of top mod because you were first to do a mod of something that has been out for years? Someone told me that there are over 25 different mods for Mario... is that true?

But really it's a small observation and has no bearing on how fun the game is.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
John Funk said:

It's LittleBig Racers, though with a bit more ease of use and a bit less charm.

Read Full Article
Sounds great, now I just need to buy a ps3 :( I love games that include emphasis on modification/player made stuff. I think my favorite/first (apart from Blizzard's RTS's) was Farcry.

Also, no stars? I NEED MY STARS JOHN!!!!

Edit:

Huh, never mind, must have missed them some how.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
So, basically nothing owners of Diddy Kong Racing DS and/or a TrackMania game wouldn't have seen before.

aseelt

Jan 13, 2010
If I had more disposable income I'd buy it. I tend to get bored of racers which have a set amount of tracks.

I'm hoping people will eventually create the F1 tracks, the Mario Kart tracks, the F-Zero tracks and any other classics that they can think of

That would be awesome.

Jul 22, 2009
This looks suspiciously like Joyride for the 360... anyway it looks fun and one of the few games i might buy if i ever get a ps3. But i love my little avatar and i want to see him racing in his own little car with my friends avatars.

Darktau

Totally Ergo Proxy
Mar 10, 2009
GamesB2 said:
This looks suspiciously like Joyride for the 360... anyway it looks fun and one of the few games i might buy if i ever get a ps3. But i love my little avatar and i want to see him racing in his own little car with my friends avatars.
Seriously? Go on google images and search for "Zero Gear" then tell me that ps3 ripped off 360? :p

Jul 22, 2009
Darktau said:
GamesB2 said:
Seriously? Go on google images and search for "Zero Gear" then tell me that ps3 ripped off 360? :p
I'm not saying it's a new idea... and to be fair i don't know much about up-coming releases for ps3 except big ones... but when Joyride was announced i'm fairly sure there was no news of ModNation racers...

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
The millisecond you hit "g" the first thing it guessed was "Gundam"
Congrats Funk, you are a Gundam Nerd.

Since you failed making Char you should have tried to make something resembling the Battle of Solomon, or A Baoa Qu, hell you had the Gundam character...

I'm kinda split on this game. On one hand I want to make tracks and characters for fun (and a game like this is gold for getting women to the apartment). However on the other hand I'm sure as a gamer I'd get bored of this game maybe 3 months in.

Apr 28, 2008
When I get money, I'm getting this game.

The beta was great fun, and I loved all the customization options. And the mapmaker is the best I've seen outside of the Timeplitters one.

Flame Rider

Apr 5, 2010
I usually question why no one pays more attention to the fact that there's a shield system to prevent the Blue Shell effect to an extent.

I'm a great patron of this game, but I won't go on about it for my own safety.

Z(ombie)fan

Mar 12, 2010
looks like mario kart.

I typically don't like racing games, but mario kart is just great.

EAT MY KOOPA SHELL BITCHES!!

and you can create your characters too. yippee!

Doc Cannon

I hate custom titles.
Feb 3, 2010
I played the demo last sunday with some friends and while it's not revolutionary, I have to say I had a LOT of fun. It's like Mario Kart indeed, but for PS3... and at least the track in the demo isn't as horrible as half the tracks in Mario Kart for the Wii. Oh, and it has shields.

I love drifting.