Police Investigate Another Habbo Virtual Theft

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Police Investigate Another Habbo Virtual Theft

Police in Finland are investigating roughly 400 unusual cases of theft involving virtual furniture and items taken from the online world of Habbo [http://www.habbo.com/].

Detective Sergeant Mark Levonen said several Habbo users contacted police earlier this year to report the theft of various virtual items. The thieves apparently use fake websites to capture user names and passwords, then log into the game and transfer the items to other accounts. Some users valued their lost items at well over $1200 in total.

"Habbo as a virtual world is targeted by thieves from all over the world," said Mikko Hypponen, chief research officer at Finnish internet security firm F-Secure [http://www.f-secure.com/]. "We've seen Dutch hackers, Italians, Russians and others, and have investigated some of these cases previously with the company that runs Habbo."

Habbo, previously known as Habbo Hotel, launched in 2000 and attracts roughly eight million unique visitors each month. The virtual world, which is actually a collection of several "localized communities" serving different areas of the world, is aimed squarely at teenagers and an estimated 90 percent of its users are between the ages of 13 and 18. This isn't the first time Habbo has been at the center of a real-world police investigation: In late 2007 a Dutch teen was arrested [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/78981-Dutch-Teenager-Arrested-for-Virtual-Property-Theft] for stealing over $5800 worth of virtual property.

"We see malicious attacks and trojans stealing accounts for all the games you can imagine, including FarmVille [http://www.worldofwarcraft.com] and so on. Poker games, for example, are susceptible to trojans which share you cards with other players around the table," Hypponen said. "When the TV stars play poker online, we're talking potential losses of hundreds of thousands of euros."

Levonen said that police have performed "five home searches in five cities in Finland" and the investigation is ongoing.

Source: BBC [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10207486.stm]

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
flaming_squirrel said:
Some users valued their lost items at well over $1200 in total.
Lol'd, did they not realise that these items arent in fact real?

Billion Backs said:
Oh well, at least nobody got AIDS from the pool.

That's a relief.
It was closed luckily.
To be serious, those items -are- real. They payed for them with real money.

Something doesn't have to be material to be "real". An idea can be copyrighted and bought, for example.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
Hey, hey, wouldn't it be great if the admins found out who was behind this, then crossed their arms, threw their chests out, and proclaimed "CASE CLOSED"?

I think it would be funny, at any rate. In an ironic kind of way.

Femaref

May 4, 2008
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/real (see 2 and 3)

not really, no. Just because something is payed with money, doesn't mean it's real. Can you grab it? Can you feel the wood of the virtual chair you just bought? Smell it? Will you be able to claim your chair if the company goes bust? No, because it is, in fact, not real.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
Femaref said:

not really, no. Just because something is payed with money, doesn't mean it's real. Can you grab it? Can you feel the wood of the virtual chair you just bought? Smell it? Will you be able to claim your chair if the company goes bust? No, because it is, in fact, not real.
It does exist, but in form of code. You pay for the right to use it.

HontooNoNeko

No more parties?
Nov 29, 2009
Femaref said:

You do realize everything you think is real is simply electrical impulses sent to your brain right? those virtual items are just as real as anything else or nothing at all is real to begin with.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
*grumbles*rassnefrassenjohnnycomelately [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.198931-Finnish-Police-Investigate-Grand-Habbo-Hotel-Theft#6496644]frassens*grumbles*

Anyway...least you did your research, more than I can say. xD

Still, as petty crime goes, this is pretty weak. Even if we are dealing in the 1000's of euros.

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
Billion Backs said:

Something doesn't have to be material to be "real". An idea can be copyrighted and bought, for example.
Wait a minute....people paid ~$1200 of real, physical money (see: mum and dad's money) for useless crap to decorate a poorly constructed 2d room of no actual use whatsoever?

There I was thinking buying items in WoW was somewhat pathetic, at least they're usable. Sort of.

HontooNoNeko said:
You do realize everything you think is real is simply electrical impulses sent to your brain right? those virtual items are just as real as anything else or nothing at all is real to begin with.
They lack a physical form, your point is somewhat invalid.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
flaming_squirrel said:
Billion Backs said:

Wait a minute....people paid ~$1200 of real, physical money (see: mum and dad's money) for useless crap to decorate a poorly constructed 2d room of no actual use whatsoever?

There I was thinking buying items in WoW was somewhat pathetic, at least they're usable. Sort of.

HontooNoNeko said:
They lack a physical form, your point is somewhat invalid.
No, I think those are the amounts that were stolen. As in from a lot of different players. It would be weird if it was all from the same small group hehe.

As for lacking physicality, it's no less stolen 'property' than say you buying a movie ticket and having that stolen. The ticket isn't some magical piece of paper that grants you entry to the theatre, it's the idea of the ticket, that owners of the theatre attach to it. It's a worthless piece of paper otherwise, but now it has value.

Money works in much the same way, doesn't it?

Lillowh

Oct 22, 2007
The funny thing is these "fake site" are all pretty much just sites that say "put your username and password here and i'll give you free money on Habbo. My friend one Christmas eve went on these sites and tried some of the accounts to get the free 5 gold they gave out to all accounts, and he stumbled upon an account that had since gotten premium membership (HC) and a ton of furnie and took it all and we shared it. If people are stupid enough to put their username and passwords on sites like that, they deserve it, especially if they care that much about a crappy game like Habbo Hotel!

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
HT_Black said:
Hey, hey, wouldn't it be great if the admins found out who was behind this, then crossed their arms, threw their chests out, and proclaimed "CASE CLOSED"?

I think it would be funny, at any rate. In an ironic kind of way.
Not really ironic but funny none the less.

People spending one thousand dollers on fake things appauls me. If they pay for pixels and their pixels dissapear bully for them.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
interesting, good thing I got out of there years ago. Damn pool seemed to be closed every day.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Billion Backs said:
flaming_squirrel said:
Some users valued their lost items at well over $1200 in total.
Lol'd, did they not realise that these items arent in fact real?

Billion Backs said:
Oh well, at least nobody got AIDS from the pool.

That's a relief.
It was closed luckily.

Ok the whole is it real argument made me think of the matrix, only the people looked like they do in the top picture. Thank you so much for that image.

It is good to see the criminals finding new ways to steal, however I wonder if these types of thefts become more common will we see new laws? I do fear that when people are buying $1200 in items that can only be used in a game that the virtual world will soon be overtaking the real world in users. Will humans as a race lose touch with life as we know it for a simulated life, rather than useing simulated life as a short escape from real life?

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
Anyone who falls for an obvious scam like that deserves to have their items stolen.

Also who the hell spends that much money on virtual item? really some people have more money then brains.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Well a sucker does what a sucker gets. These people invest lots of real money into an online game, and then don't bother to secure their accounts, frivolously going to any websites sharing their info. And then they get upset when somebody rips them off.

That is all.