Microsoft Announces Xbox Live Community Games

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Microsoft Announces Xbox Live Community Games

Creators Club [http://www.microsoft.com]subscription or PC link.

XNA head Chris Satchell told the Gamertags [http://www.gdconf.com], that will show their history and allow them to develop a following among Xbox Live users.

"18 months ago, we revolutionized the industry by democratizing game development with XNA," Satchell said. "We unlocked the same retail console that you play games on for development. When we did the Dream Build Play [http://www.dreambuildplay.com/main/default.aspx] competition, we picked four titles that we wanted to give commercial contracts to. But when we thought about it, we thought it was sad that all of those other great games didn't have a chance to be played by everyone."

"Now it's time to democratize game distribution," he added. "And to do that, we need to put the power in the hands of the community."

Easykill

Sep 13, 2007
I have a bad feeling about this. Peer review doesn't work when that many people who use Xbox Live are idiots. It'll also get harder to navigate the marketplace.

Easykill

Sep 13, 2007
Just that anyone can make games, and they'll release them on live without even bothering to check the content themselves. If no one flags an inappropriate game in time, it gets put on live where anyone can get it, and probably for free.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
I also think it needs a very high user rating to get put on XBL. While most of the XBL core demography is made up of idiots (impossible to find good TF2 games) i dont think many of them will use this function so it be great...or it might be "meh".

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
Abeit it's flaws, i am still pretty excited to see user made games on XBLA.

Despite the fact that i only played one of the XNA Demos for an extended amount of time (The Dishwasher, wich could very well be the best XBLA Game on the entire platform), it was pretty cool to see the rather unique game ideas on the Xbox 360, rather than on the PC, where much of the independent stuff is plagued a bit by the fact that there isn't a standartized game controller that the developers can "rely" on, among other things.

I'm just worried that there is no word on pricing. I hope there will be a fair pricing structure.
Yes, it would be best if every XNA Game releases "for free" on XBLM, however, if that happens, the developers that put really work in there small projects will probably shy away from the Xbox altogether and rather sell thier games for a few bucks through the internet.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I'm fairly certain there will be a vetting process involved with the release of any of these games. Just because it's community-driven doesn't mean it's inevitably going to be anarchy rules.

hypermonkey

Oct 18, 2007
This looks like a cost cutting exercise to me, since Microsoft won't have to employ anyone to check the games content anymore. I bet they'll still charge to put games made with xna on the 360 though.