Call of Duty: Black Ops Does Not Have Co-op Campaign

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Call of Duty: Black Ops Does Not Have Co-op Campaign

If you're looking forward to playing through Call of Duty: Black Ops with three friends, prepare to be disappointed.

Call of Duty: Black Ops [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Xbox-360/dp/B003JVKHEQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276200821&sr=8-1] might feature four player co-op, but don't get any ideas about playing through the campaign with your friends, because that's simply not going to happen, as Treyarch has confirmed the co-op mode is separate from the single-player campaign.

"Single-player is the epic, cinematic, seat-of-your-pants thrill ride that you star in," said Treyarch head Mark Lamia. "Then there's multiplayer, when you want to play competitive with your friends and really chisel and hone your skills and do that addictive experience. And then co-op is for when you want to have a blast with your friends, just sitting on the couch and having an awesome co-op experience."

The co-op mode is being kept under wraps for the moment, with no confirmation as to whether World at War's [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-World-War-Xbox-360/dp/B001AWIP68/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276200852&sr=1-1] zombie mode will be returning, but Lamia did say that whatever it is, it will be different than MewTwo's Spec Ops mode.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3179638]

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
So, it's going to be the MW2 spec-ops way.
Fair enough, I like it better that way.
And, yes, I've read the last line - I just don't believe it.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
Neither do I personally. What would be interesting would be if they did proper missions, not the spec ops mode which I personally thought was abit meh (i've never gone back to them once I finished). If this game really is some sort of cold war time travelling escapade, it wouldn't be that amiss just to have random levels at random times.

Paradukes

Jul 6, 2009
I did initially think "Well crap, there goes that idea", but on balance, I suspect this might be a good thing. The whole way through CoD5, I kept getting killed constantly due to things that would have easily been avoidable if I was playing co-op. The whole way through, I suspected the campaign was balanced /for/ co-op, and not single-player. This way, hopefully there's gonna be less "You should have pressed x five minutes ago if you didn't want to die now" scenarios. (F***ing banzai troopers...)

FallenJellyDoughnut

Jun 28, 2009
easy evil said:
Im actually interested to see if the new guys can stand up to infinity wards standard.
?. Probably not.
Your failure, I can almost taste it. Treyarch made CoD 2, 3 and WaW. (CoD2 and WaW being great, BTW)

Dr Bob

Mar 17, 2010
FallenJellyDoughnut said:
easy evil said:
Im actually interested to see if the new guys can stand up to infinity wards standard.
?. Probably not.
Your failure, I can almost taste it. Treyarch made CoD 2, 3 and WaW. (CoD2 and WaW being great, BTW)
IW made CoD 2.

"Your failure".

FallenJellyDoughnut

Jun 28, 2009
Dr Bob said:
easy evil said:
?. Probably not.
IW made CoD 2.

"Your failure".
WIKIPEDIA LIED TO ME! THEY WILL PAY FOR THIS!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
That was my favorite part of WaW...

It's Treyarch. It'll be good. I'll tell myself that again and again. I mean, nothing can suck as much as MW2.

monnes

Sep 23, 2009
Dr Bob said:
easy evil said:
?. Probably not.
IW made CoD 2.

"Your failure".
They were however involved in making Call of Duty 2: Big Red One. Which I thought was great.

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
Well, at least now we know the single-player campaign will be "seat of your pants." Whatever the hell that means.

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
Yet another reason to not bother with Call of Duty any more.

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
I doubt zombies will replace the co-op campaign.

JourneyThroughHell said:
I'm fine with that, just as long as there are more or at least longer missions than MW2's.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
So long as there's 4 player vs splitscreen I'm happy. I prefer Treyarch, anyway, call me weird, but I think WaW is the best CoD. And of course...
ryai458 said:
Zombies...
Zombies...
Zombies...
Zombies...
Zombies...
Please

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
I don't understand why we can't have a co-op mode, a spec-ops mode and a zombie mode. The creators do realise that the people that are going to buy the game would effectively jizz at the prospect of this, right?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
This does actually look pretty good, despite being Treyarch; and I had lost all hope for CoD after PC gamers got fucked over in MW2.

They seem to be mixing it up a little now instead of just being 1 step behind IW - who knows, if they can provide a multiyplayer that isn't riddled with bugs and glitches and is properly balanced (ie. none of that kill streak BS from MW2) I may be interested.

Oh, and single player campaign that's longer than 6 hours. Because SP should always come first.