The Final Fantasy VII Remake is a Fantasy

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
The Final Fantasy VII Remake is a Fantasy

Square-Enix isn't lying when it says a Final Fantasy VII remake is practically infeasible.

Read Full Article

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
I get that it would be expensive, but I still don't see why it would be more expensive than, say, making a new final fantasy game (E.G. FFXIII) from scratch, and considering it would probably sell crazy good... I'm still not seeing why not.

twcblaze

Lurker Extraordinaire
Jun 18, 2009
Nimbus said:
I get that it would be expensive, but I still don't see why it would be more expensive than, say, making a new final fantasy game (E.G. FFXIII) from scratch, and considering it would probably sell crazy good... I'm still not seeing why not.
look at the differences between the two games, 7 had the entire overworld you could explore at just about any time, it had hundreds of characters you *could* interact with at (again) almost any point in the story, and most of them had changing dialogue.

there's a reason they've taken out the airships and running around the world map in the later games, the same reason they've bogged everyone down into the "run through this straight corridor to get to your next objective" linearity that everyone hates... exploration's expensive and time consuming.

Danallighieri

Jun 3, 2010
I can see why, when constantly making new games(pray that Final Fantasy 13 VS is as good as the original 13 was linear) it'd be a problem to remake the game. But then again, just because the graphics aren't that good by nowadays standards doesn't mean that it's not fun to play the original, I mean I'm content to go back to the original from time to time and just enjoy playing it. Although I say that, a man can always dream that they will remake it, perhaps without the voice acting though

ZehGeek

[-Militaires Sans Frontieres-]
Aug 12, 2009
Thank god someone's atleast trying to explain it to all the narrow minded ones.

For the tech demo, they wanted to show the PS3's power, and what better way to get people's attention with the game that has alot of....fanboys..., and those fanboys would go rush out and buy a PS3. Seems a bit smart to me.

Also, I agree with the script bit. When they redid MGS for the Gamecube, I'm sure as hell Kojima never intended Snake to like do matrix flips every 5 seconds, and stuff. The only thing that was common between the both games was that it had A) Snake, B) Shadow Moses, C) All the same characters, and D) The same story guidelines. The rest just was destroying of what made the orginal MGS great. Ocelot's boss battle, with First Person Shooter, was like 10X easier then in the orginal when you eaither had to run after him, or plant C4 at the one corner.
I think part of the reason too, is remakes tend to flop horriably. For movie examples, the most recent Friday the 13th, and Nightmare on Elm Street. Then like Twin Snakes, and a few other games I can't remember off the top of my head. Square Enix is a buissness, like everything else. They know FFVII's popular, but would the cost of updating everything to a next-gen counsel, advertising, promotional deals, getting it westeranized, etc etc, balance out with the sales. If it sucks, like it most likely would, you get probably the first inital few mill, but when word spreads out "It sucks it sucks", sales start to plumit, and Square comes like a few mill short of breaking even, specialy in a economic time like this. :/

Then there's just the simple fact that some games are good as they are, and don't need a remake. If we keep remaking everything, it's gonna end up like that one South Park episode where Speilburg and Lucas go crazy and remake ALL there movies, and end up getting killed by the horriablness of the "newnewnew" Raiders of the Lost Ark.

xscoot

Sep 8, 2009
Why do people want an FFVII remake? They can just play FFVII.

Why buy something you already have?

Birthe

Apr 26, 2010
I think also if you remake the game it probably wouldn't have the sae success as there'd be a few people that would think something like "I already played it before so why should I buy it again". The other thing is I can already hear some of the fans cry out on how shitty the remake is 'cause: "blabla it isn't the old one or something"... so I think it's just pretty wise to not do that.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
FF7 was never my favorite. In fact, it's where I stopped playing the FF series. I guess I just liked it better when the characters resembled marshmallows in armor.

That said, I do appreciate what FF7 did for the industry. It's release saw a giant step toward making gaming a more accessible hobby. And being a card carrying Halo fan I would certainly never hate on the game or the franchise because I know how tiresome it can be to hear a person who was never asked go into great detail about why the thing you like is stupid, boring, and not as good as the thing he likes better. Ugh.

I do hope they give it a shot some day. Just for the fans who want it so very badly. It'd be nice for them to get their boon. Yes, as Shamus so competely illustrates with this article, it would be a lot of work. But it's not like they will be giving it away if they made the investment of effort. There would be a return after all, even if the core fans don't realize how much they're asking of SE when they verbally hunger for their remake.

All in all, this was a good read. Nice work Shamus. :)

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Only an idiot would want to make a Final Fantasy VII with FFXIII's graphics.

Hell, only an idiot would want to make Final Fantasy XIII, for that matter.

VII, however, has always been an "anime-style" game, and a modern remake would benefit from being stylized as well. It would cut down on development time significantly, and would mesh better with the adventure's sillier moments.

Screw Advent Children and bring on Kingdom Hearts.

astfgl

Mar 8, 2010
twcblaze said:
Nimbus said:
look at the differences between the two games, 7 had the entire overworld you could explore at just about any time, it had hundreds of characters you *could* interact with at (again) almost any point in the story, and most of them had changing dialogue.

there's a reason they've taken out the airships and running around the world map in the later games, the same reason they've bogged everyone down into the "run through this straight corridor to get to your next objective" linearity that everyone hates... exploration's expensive and time consuming.
By that argument, every future rpg (at least from square) will be as empty as FF13, because populated cities and world maps are too hard to do. It also calls into question how something like Fallout 3 is managed, what with the huge map, many interactive characters and changing dialogue.

UnusualStranger

Keep a hat handy
Jan 23, 2010
You know what I find most interesting about this article?

Right underneath the link where I found there, there is the article that there is a rumor that Goldeneye 007 will be remade and possibly shown at E3.

*Facepalm*

All in the timing I guess.

Anyway, I think the biggest question from me for a business standpoint is: Would it not possibly sell out in a matter of hours?

We live in a time where games are $60, and FF VII is so god damned popular if you have video games you seem to be required to know what the hell it is.

The point is brought up that the game would need to be recreated....but isn't that what they are doing when they make a New Final Fantasy? Don't they have to redo so many things, design all the environments, and do it all over again? And even then, the game will likely only sell to so many people at best.

One can nearly Guarantee that a remade FF VII would sell out everywhere in a matter of hours, at full price, to everyone and their family.

The biggest point I'm trying to make here is: Would not the profits back from making such a game far outweigh the costs of making it?

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
I was afraid this might be another FF-bashing article but it was actually very good. I agree it would be a gargantuan task bringing the game to a modern consoles, however I don't think it would be impossible.
xscoot said:
Why do people want an FFVII remake? They can just play FFVII.

Why buy something you already have?
Because people love this game. It was an icredible game with an incredible storyline and gameplay. Seeing this game brought to life with voice acting, an orchestral score and photorealistic graphics would be simply amazing.

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
The game isn't worth it, is the thing no one wants to tell fans. It was big, not just because of what it was, but because of when it was. The cost doesn't balance out with the final product. A remake would be weak on narrative since it retells a story we've been constantly exposed to for over a decade. It would be on treacherous ground gameplay wise, either undoing everything SquareEnix has tried in the last few additions or just stomp all over something everyone liked in 7.

Besides guys, Final Fantasy 4 better.

Mr. Win

Jan 23, 2010
astfgl said:
twcblaze said:
Nimbus said:

By that argument, every future rpg (at least from square) will be as empty as FF13, because populated cities and world maps are too hard to do. It also calls into question how something like Fallout 3 is managed, what with the huge map, many interactive characters and changing dialogue.
Well Fallout 3 wasn't fabulous and pretty.

I think it's a case of FF12 being loathed by most fans. That game was enormous, especially for a JRPG. But the extremely vocal minority bashed it so much. Square just needs to stop listening to those people.

Sh0ckFyre

Jun 27, 2009
I wouldn't want to remake the series' cash cow anyways. Good movie by Square Enix I say.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Sooo, what I'm getting is that a 3-D sandbox exploration map is hard to do? So what about all the rest of those games that have a 3-D sandbox exploration map? Again I have to call bullshit.

Now I have never created a game before, but I do understand how time and resource consuming it is. However, how is it that other developers are capable of banging out fully rendered games in much less time than is projected for a FFVII remake? Also, not everything has to be fully rendered. 3D characters in 2 or 2.5D backgrounds are perfectly fine. Not every bit of Midgar needs to be interactive, if you did that, of course it would be prohibitive.

All I'm saying is that it's perfectly fine for Squeenix to state that they are not revisiting the IP, and another thing to say that they would if they could but the technology isn't feasible. One is honest, the other is a pack of goddamn lies.

sougo13

Sep 11, 2009
But... but... screw logic and rationality, I want my remake!

Yeah I know it's expensive and probably not going to happen but one can dream right?