Scientist Says Building Gundam Models Makes You Smarter

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Scientist Says Building Gundam Models Makes You Smarter

A Neuroscience professor at Suwa Tokyo Science University has found that building lots of tiny plastic robots could make you a genius.

If you've ever stopped by my desk here at The Escapist HQ (or seen it in any of our Escapist Presents [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-presents] videos) you know this: I have a lot of little plastic robots cluttering up my desktop. And to be honest, I've always considered myself to be a pretty darn smart guy. I used to wonder if the two were related, and now I have incontrovertible proof that they are.

Well, it's like incontrovertible proof. It's science - that's the same thing, right?

Kikunori Shinohara, a professor in the Neuroscience department of Suwa Tokyo Science University, announced that building Gundam models (or Gunpla which is short for "Gundam plastic model") was healthy for the human brain. The act of putting the model together promotes blood circulation in the brain, said Shinohara-san, which lets it "concentrate better, react better and remember better."

It's true that there's a lot of concentration that goes into building these things. Professor Shinohara could well be right, in that they require very fine muscle control, focus, the ability to think in three dimensions, and a hell of a lot of patience when you can't complete that one goddamn kit because the screw you need is stripped and stuck halfway in and you can't do a goddamn thing with ... er, sorry, I got a bit sidetracked.

Of course, there's always the chance that this could be the Brain Training thing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100156-Brain-Training-Games-Dont-Work], where building Gundam models only makes your brain better at building Gundam models. But really, you'd think that a neuroscience professor would know what he was talking about, right?

Shinohara encouraged people of all ages to build models to promote brain health. Way ahead of you, dude. Way ahead of you.

(Gundam Planet [http://www.spt-plan.biz/archives/cat5/post_10/]. Thanks to Frank_Sinatra_ for the tip!)

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
It would be nice if it were true, but it certainly does seem similar to the Brain Train argument.

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
Do you have to hand paint those Gundam models because that would absolutely seal the deal as a NEVER for me.

If not it might be fun and I like Gundam.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
John, John, John...

No one thinks your stupid. You don't have to resort to chicainery like this to convince us you aren't.

Dyp100 said:
So all my Warhammer and Warmachine stuff makes my brain giant?
I would assume that since those don't profit Japan and the man making the statement, then no. Infact they probably make you dumber. Buy more Gundam models to counteract these stupid making gaijin models.

WE WANT MORE MONEY.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I wonder how much funding Kikunori Shinoharas' University received from a Gundam toy company prior to making this article.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
Say John... What's your I.Q again?

...I mean, You'd probably be the best test subject for this kinda thing...

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I'd say this means I'm smarter from all those WH40K models, but I doubt inhaling all those lead paint fumes are good for me. Or maybe that only affects the lungs. Awesome, I could become a genious at only the cost of my usless lu-*cough, weeze, cough, cough, hack, blood*

Kushin

May 17, 2009
Woooo! Everything is looking good for me. I just got into these a while ago. Built Gundam Deathscythe (Gundam Wing W) on Monday and it looks sweet.

I shall be a genius in this world!

*collapses in a fit of evil laughter*

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Sadly neuroscience is one of the most poorly understood sciences out there. Right up there with physics in close proximity to black holes.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I wonder if it matters if you do other model kits like cars or, Star Wars universe vehicles...I don't see why not, same basic principle

Lisolet

Mar 27, 2010
snowman6251 said:
Do you have to hand paint those Gundam models because that would absolutely seal the deal as a NEVER for me.

If not it might be fun and I like Gundam.
You do get to paint them, but you can use air brushes and stuff like that to make it more fun. I've got a girly pink and white unicorn gundam on back order. Whoo!

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Kushin said:
Woooo! Everything is looking good for me. I just got into these a while ago. Built Gundam Deathscythe (Gundam Wing W) on Monday and it looks sweet.

Gundam Wing doesn't count. It has to be original generation or one of the movies that never came out in the US.

And bonus IQ if it's from 8th MS team.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
So...it similarly applies to models not associated to Gundam, in that it helps you build models better? Couldn't the same be said about gaming, that gaming on a frequent basis over a specified extended period could make you better at gaming? Or that the production and consumption of sammiches over a similar increment of chronology makes one better at both the consumption and production of sammiches?

Crolley

Jun 4, 2010
So what is it exactly that leads to this increase in brain performance? Is it simply because building models requires concentration, attention to detail, and fine motor control? What does that boil down to exactly... that exercising the brain increases brain performance? Surely we already knew that.

Maybe Gundam models just radiate cosmic brainpower waves.

Kushin

May 17, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
Kushin said:

Gundam Wing doesn't count. It has to be original generation or one of the movies that never came out in the US.

And bonus IQ if it's from 8th MS team.
CURSES! My plan has been foiled! Damn you meddling kids!

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
That's kinda cool. I love building those Gundams myself. I only own 16 at the moment and I hope to get more. Maybe after I've built the entire Universal Century set (which are my Favourites) I'll become the next Einstein... probably not but if it's like the whole Brain Training thing then that would be disappointing.

Regardless Gundam models are awesome and fun to build, the more parts the better! 1/60 scale are the best for that, bit pricy though.