BlazBlue Dev Doing Contra Spiritual Sequel

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
BlazBlue Dev Doing Contra Spiritual Sequel

Arc System Works will be putting the high-definition sprites it's known for into an officially sanctioned Contra [http://www.amazon.com/Contra-Nes/dp/B0009VRFFS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276200566&sr=8-1] spiritual sequel.

Contra has had plenty of sequels over the years, but Konami has enlisted Arc System Works to develop a spiritual one called Hard Corps: Uprising. The developer known for BlazBlue [http://www.amazon.com/BlazBlue-Calamity-Trigger-Standard-Playstation-3/dp/B002IAU14A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276200590&sr=1-2] and Guilty Gear will be bringing its signature 2D anime style to the game which is planned for release on Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation Network.

Revealed by a preview over at IGN [http://ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1094576p1.html], Hard Corps: Uprising is described by Konami as an "homage to legacy Konami run-and-gun platformers." From the first screen we see a two characters holding big-ass guns, and a giant explosion. Yeah, that's Contra.

Hard Corps: Uprising offers two playable characters, one known to be a baddie from the Genesis's Contra: Hard Corps named Colonel Bahamut. The other appears to be an unknown female, and, mindblowingly, more characters could be released as DLC.

The game will include at least eight stages with players collecting power-ups and blasting everything that moves; gameplay that will be very familiar to Contra fans. And if you miss that wall boss from the NES Contra, it looks like it's making a return in Hard Corps.

Please expect Contra's trademark difficulty to return, but Konami and Arc are going to include a mode for those that don't have the money to replace their controllers twice a week. Rising mode will give players three hits before death, in contrast to Contra's usual one-and-done system.

10 bucks and I'm in! Hard Corps: Uprising is planned for release in Winter 2010.

Source: IGN [http://ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1094576p1.html]

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
...*has Contra:Hard Corps flashback*

*starts crying and curls up in corner* WHY WHY GOD, WHY DOES IT HURT ME SO MUCH!?

Darchrow

Nov 18, 2009
I'm so getting this game when it comes out on PSN, all I need to do is get my PSN account working. Contra was definitely up there with Mario when I was a kid playing games, something very entertaining about the 2player co-op.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Thank god.
While I didn't find Contra as difficult as the majority of people seem too, it is still somewhat of a challenge and I am looking forward to another Contra title.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
That will be prety cool! Glad to see a great classic been given the spiritual face lift!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
cannot wait to see this, they do awesome 2d art

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Hard Corps on the Mega Drive had 3 hits before you die in the Japanese version AFAIK, the US version removed that.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Is it going to have the Konami code?

Also, I must get this, im setting 1200 MS points aside for it.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Anything the devs behind Blazblue do is alright with me. Especially this!

Blazblue kicks SF4's ass to the curb.

Rising Mode already sounds like a game mere mortals can beat.

Rauten

Capitalism ho!
Apr 4, 2010
Picture me doubtful. Arc System Works kicks ass, sure, but the genius in Arc is the guy that brought both GG and BB to life, Daisuke Ishiwatari. And I see no mention of him.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
...*has Contra:Hard Corps flashback*

*starts crying and curls up in corner* WHY WHY GOD, WHY DOES IT HURT ME SO MUCH!?
Do what I did: Get your character's rapid-fire or homing weapon in the first stage, put your back to a wall or wrecked car, tape the fire button down, and go to school/work/sleep. By the time you get back, you'll have earned enough lives to make it through. If not, do it once more.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
I've never played a Contra game before.
If Arc is handling this one, then now is as good a time as any to start. I get the feeling it's going to be pretty awesome.

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
I'd rather see them release the original Contra in that arcade area they have on XBL. I don't need a remake: the original was just fine in my opinion. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm sure there are plenty of gamers today who didn't get a chance to play that version, so why not bring that back instead of creating a new game based on the original?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Meh, DLC for new characters... Although, this looks fantastic, I'm looking forward to play it on the XBLA.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Anyone think they could pull off a a FP/3rdP Contra game and do it right? Take some elements from Unreal tournament have larger levels where roof scape ect is used, let people chose 2-4 weapons each player then toss in all thee contra weapons plus a few variants, on the insanity to be hazed!

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
fuck yes

I've been itching to cry out of frustration more from playing difficult games.This seems like it will do the trick.