Red Faction: Armageddon Resembles Sandbox Dead Space

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Red Faction: Armageddon Resembles Sandbox Dead Space

THQ's next Red Faction game won't be as happy-go-lucky as Red Faction: Guerrilla

E3 always seems to come a little early for a few titles, one of those being THQ's Red Faction: Guerrilla [http://www.amazon.com/Red-Faction-Armageddon-Xbox-360/dp/B003P9C6QY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276197367&sr=1-3], you might be surprised when you take a look Armageddon's first trailer.

Red Faction: Armageddon apparently has a sandbox structure similar to Guerrilla, but the atmosphere has completely changed. Inhabitants of Mars have been forced underground by a cult that has made the surface uninhabitable. Darius Mason, grandson of Guerrilla hero Alex Mason, runs a mining/scavenging/mercenary business in the subterranean caves and is tricked into unleashing a long-dormant evil when he reopens a shaft from an ancient temple. Now he's got to deal with it.

The Nano Forge weapon has been passed down through the Mason family, and now evolved to give Darius even greater firepower than Alec. Massive amounts of real-time destruction should still be a part of the gameplay, but another ability called "Repair" will also be able to perform real-time construction using nanites.

Darius will free colonists from alien cocoons, search for artifacts to make alien weaponry, and destroy alien monoliths while he fights against the cultists on the surface of Mars. I'm thinking the long-dormant evil somehow involves aliens. There's also a four-player Extermination Mode that will pit everyone up against a "relentless tide of attackers," which sounds like a survival mode.

THQ and developer Volition could have gone with a game just like Guerrilla, but instead chose to throw a little Dead Space into the game's formula, and that's pretty cool. We'll likely see more at E3 2010 in a week or so.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
If anything you can't fault them for trying to take the series in new directions with each iteration. Looks pretty interesting

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
Ehhhh, I really, REALLY disliked Rec Faction Gurilla, however, dpending on the way they take this it might be a good game...

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
"resembles rip-off of Dead Space" is more like it. It's very, very similar looking.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Anyone else think this might be am awkward tone shift and mechanic shift for a series built on smashing everything in sight? How will they apply the destruction physics to a survival horror game?

hearty0

Jul 22, 2008
Not G. Ivingname said:
Anyone else think this might be am awkward tone shift and mechanic shift for a series built on smashing everything in sight? How will they apply the destruction physics to a survival horror game?
If you hide in a tower the aliens could knock it over?

I think that this could be pretty interesting so I'm going to keep my eye on in.

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
I like. I still prefer human characters in RF games, like Red Faction 2, but this could work.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
long as you can still destroy buildings in really fun ways Im game

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
Sounds rocking...the aliens will hopefully provide more challenge than the EDF in RD:G. Maybe some more stealth aspects...

Even if it is a complete rip of Dead Space, I'd like to see a Dead Space in a Sandbox, see how they make it play.

Konaerix

May 19, 2010
Hey Yahtzee, time to sharpen the hate sword and get the claws out, cause a new Red Faction is coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
I really didn't like Red Faction: Guerilla, and now the story is so... boring. Evil cultists releasing evil stuff? Yawn. And the alien thing makes it even worse.

I might check it out if it has good gameplay, but I'm not exactly marking my calendar.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
I swear, if this were a movie, Vin Diesel would fit very well as the main protagonist.

About the game... I don't like what I see right now, but I'd happily wait for more stuff to come out first.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
I can already hear Yahtzee's rage as he says the danger words "Ancient Mystical Cult". It could be good but I am thinking this will just take it in an old direction since they can't have humans now they just have their genre appropriate zombie/demon/alien/cyborg/nazi.

MrPokeylope

Apr 16, 2009
Hmm, a rip-off of a boring 'horror' game with a story pretty much lifted straight from Ghosts of Mars...I''ll pass