Obsidian Announces Dungeon Siege 3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Obsidian Announces Dungeon Siege 3

Obsidian Entertainment is working on Dungeon Siege 3, a new addition to the old action-RPG franchise that will be published by Square Enix.

The original Square Enix [http://www.gaspowered.com/ds1/] that will bring the series to consoles for the very first time.

Being developed "under the supervision of Taylor," Dungeon Siege 3 is part of Square Enix's plan to partner with Western studios and increase its presence in the North American market. The game will offer a new cooperative gameplay mode for up to four players, numerous customization options and a world in which every decision will have consequences.

Obsidian is best known as the studio that couldn't quite finish Wheel of Time [http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Knights-Old-Republic-Xbox/dp/B000067DPM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276197287&sr=1-1] novels. Perhaps Square Enix will be able to crack the whip where Sega and LucasArts couldn't; or perhaps once again we'll just end up with two-thirds of a really good game and some disappointed talk about what might have been.

Dungeon Siege 3 is currently in development for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. No release date has been announced.

The Zango

Resident stoner and Yognaught
Apr 30, 2009
NO! Bad Obsidian! Stop ruining promising games/franchises!

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
BigZ225 said:
Oh, stop your whining. Name one franchise Obsidian has "ruined" that they didn't develop themselves.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Wasn't this series destroyed when Uwe Boll made that horrible, horrible movie?
And why Obsidian? Don't they have their hands full with making "Fallout: New Vegas" and patching "Alpha Protocol?"

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
How much of a crazy bastard do you have to be to put Obsidian in charge of a game?

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
I'm just not sure what to make of Obsidian - when Feargus Urquhart worked at Black Isle Studios and gave us Icewind Dale, Planescape, Fallout 2, I thought the success of any company he led would be guaranteed. I also thought there would be a lot more original IP from any such company. However, there's no denying that the track record of Obsidian to date has been sketchy.

Perhaps the move from 2D sprite animation to full 3D has claimed another victim? I just don't know.

Hristo Petrov

Nov 11, 2009
Really another one ? I remember 1 and 2 and they were just another Diabo 2 clones for me which is not that bad but the ultimate Diablo 2 clone is already made and its called Titan Quest.

Apr 28, 2008
And here's my prediction of what will happen.

If it gets released, it will get mediocre reviews, it will be decent, with a fantastic story, but weak ending. It will also be pretty buggy.

Zannah

Jan 27, 2010
Obsidian really is becoming the Michael Bay of Video Game production - can't say leave franchises I like alone, and go make new Half life episodes or something?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Oh, stop your whining. Name one franchise Obsidian has "ruined" that they didn't develop themselves.
Name one Obsidian game that didn't suck. Seriously. Urquhart and co. have been trading on the Black Isle name for the better part of a decade now but what have they shown aside from an inability to deliver a finished game?

Fortunately, I don't care what they do with this one, I thought Dungeon Siege was an absolute turd.

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
Hurr Durr Derp said:
BigZ225 said:
Thank you! Personally, I liked KotOR 2 more than the first. Besides the crappy ending, that was a stellar game. Obsidian is not good at original IP or storytelling, but are phenomenal at tweaking an existing formula. I would love to see them merge, or at the very least work, with BioWare. BioWare storytelling, with Obsidian's mechanics...that could be a very cool game!

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
Well, one thing even Obsidian haters would have to agree upon, Dungeon Siege 3 will have a better story than the Dungeon Siege movie... (I have seen the movie, haven't played any of the Dungeon Siege games though)

I still like Obsidian but, I think myself they may be doing too many projects at once... I have a feeling Fallout New Vegas should be great, I mean, the core engine, graphics, etc, they don't have to worry about as much .. I would just be happy with a Fallout 3 type game with writing at the same quality as the first two Fallouts. But all these other games they are doing? Eek. Just sounds crazy to me.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Wrong game with a 3 on the end, kids. Apparently Black Isle is doomed to making sequels that aren't as good as whatever came before them these days. Why can't they just work with Bioware on Baldur's Gate 3 already?

etherlance

Apr 1, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Obsidian is best known as the studio that couldn't quite finish Knights of the Old Republic 2
"Couldn't quite finish it"???

They forgot half the fucking game!!!!!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Here is hoping they don't gut it! Although intrested to see how it will turn out!

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Cool, i liked Dungeon Siege 2 so lets see how they do this. Also to those saying that it'll be ruined by the fact Obsidian are developing it...please shut up. Wait until the games actually out before you judge.