Catch Video Games Live for Free

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Catch Video Games Live for Free

Can't make it to a Video Games Live performance in person? PBS has got your back.
<a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Broadcasting_Service>The Public Broadcasting System (PBS) is known for airing educational and cultural programming that you generally won't find on other networks here in America. It seems that Video Games Live, the orchestral performance created and produced by industry composers Tommy Tallarico and Jack Wall, is classy enough to get a 90-minute airing on the channel.

The channel has put together a four minute trailer (at right) to promote the event, and it certainly does a great job of making the performance look appealing for viewers of all ages. Of course, getting someone like Jamie Lee Curtis to provide testimony about the show certainly helps, too.

According to PBS, the performance will, "[consist] of never before televised live musical performances from the Mario, Zelda, Sonic, Halo, Warcraft, Final Fantasy, Castlevania, God of War, Civilization, Chrono Cross, StarCraft and Guitar Hero franchises, including a musical journey through Classic Gaming, will make its national premiere on July 31 and air throughout August 2010 on PBS stations."

Officially, PBS is going to start airing the show on July 31 and will be selling CD/DVD/Blu-Ray packages of the performance through November. The DVD sounds like it could make for some pretty entertaining viewing, with over three hours of bonus material being included.

If you live in Northern California, though, you're in for a treat: a sneak preview of the performance almost two months in advance. PBS's KQED Public Television 9 will debut the event tonight, June 7th, at 7:30 PM and will repeat the airing at 1:30 AM on June 8th.

Source: Joystiq

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I doubt we un the UK will get a chance to see it...well, heres hoping on Youtube!

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
I never thought I'd be so exited to watch anything on PBS.

I love VGL, I saw a live show once and it was pretty awesome. I even keep the autographs of all the composers sitting nice in my shelf.

jpakaferrari

Nov 9, 2009
Okay so who else noticed them nonchalantly throw that couple of second scene of the girl with elf ears on behind the voice over at 3:50. I was like... um yeah, elf ears at the symphony what is the world coming to...

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
Thank you SO much for this thread. My wife bought me tickets for our anniversary last year and the show was cancelled. We were refunded our money but the tour never came back to our town. I look forward to recording this one.

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
I'll find a way of getting this even over here in the UK but come Novemeber I'll get it imported on BD or DVD. Let's hope for no region coding.

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
You lucky Americans! I will definitley be getting the blu ray and btw Jamie Lee Curtis, Final Fantasy has worlds much closer to Avatar and much more imaginative and original than World Of Warcraft.

TheBlackKnight

ESEY on the Kross
Nov 3, 2008
eh.. Jamie Lee Curtis? Does this mean there will be a WoW commercial with her?

Does this PBS have a video on Demand section for non US-citizen?

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
That dude just rocking the fuck out on the Cello(?) during one winged angel is the most metal thing I've ever seen.

This show actually played in my town less than a year back, was sadly too broke to catch it but I'll certainly watch it on the box if I get the chance.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Jamie Lee Curtis, I have a new found respect for you. I would so love you if you were thirty years younger. :D

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
Shameless plug for one of our older videos:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/gdc-2009/661-Video-Games-Live

If you have a chance to see it live, don't think twice. Just go. You will not regret it.

QuadrAlien

Mar 20, 2008
Wasn't much of the World of Warcraft footage the ending animation from Warcraft III's Human campaign? It's a brilliant scene, so I don't blame them, just thought I'd mention it.

And yes, the electric guitar versus cello duel was a brilliant touch.

Tirnor

Sep 3, 2009
So, who from NorCal is going to record and torrent it for the rest of us? :)

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
TheBlackKnight said:
Does this PBS have a video on Demand section for non US-citizen?
They do indeed have a Web video service, but looking at the list of programs, it looks like they only have their regular shows available, not special events like this. But, since it's a non-commercial station whose sponsors don't get any money from broadcasts, I have a hunch they wouldn't have a problem with people torrenting the show.

EDIT: Did anyone else hear Graham Stark's "Hey guys. Russel Here." in their heads when it cut to the gratuitous closeup of the crow?

Captain-Giggles

May 21, 2008
It was fantastic when it came to Dublin, I was lucky enough to win the Guitar Hero contest out in the foyer before the show and got to play Sweet Emotions with the Orchestra, and got myself a poster signed by Koji Kondo! Tommy is a great guy as well, really funny, and knows how to rock a Castlevania.