Dragon Age Anime in the Works

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Dragon Age Anime in the Works

In a move that surprises no one, EA has announced that an anime based on Dragon Age: Origins is in the works.

It's no secret that EA likes to produce tie-in material for its bigger videogames. Novels, comic books, and movies have all been the popular forms of adaptation, though the latter has yet to really impress anyone. But the publisher apparently believes in the magic of movies, because it's just announced that 2011 will see the release of an "anime feature film" based on the critically-loved [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=72891].

The project is being worked on by FUNimation, a company that produces, markets, and distributes anime in the United States. However, this is the first project that FUNimation's Original Entertainment team is going to be working on, so it's hard to say just what kind of quality we can expect from the film, though EA and Bioware want us to believe that it will be awesome.

"Anime is a great medium for us to continue the robust Dragon Age story," said Mark Darrah - Executive Producer for the Dragon Age franchise when the announcement was made. "Partnering with FUNimation ensures that we are delivering the exceptional quality and entertainment value that our Dragon Age fans expect."

So far, EA's animated films have been pretty weak. <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87011-Dead-Space-Downfall-Coming-Soon>Dead Space: Downfall wasn't scary at all, largely due to lame animation quality and style choices, while <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.104095-Dantes-Inferno-Gets-Animated>Dante's Inferno was just a lackluster summary of the game's story (though the involvement of different animation directors for different parts of the story was, admittedly, interesting). Last year at E3, I spoke to the producer of [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-Extraction-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B001TOMQVC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276196870&sr=8-1]. These previous films were made with Film Roman and Starz/Anchor Bay, which is probably why EA is partnering with someone new for this venture.

Here's hoping the third time is the charm.

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
Well, maybe. Just maybe. They might want to look at partnering with a Japanese producer just to get the style and quality down right.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Bioware: why? Why, why are you trying to fuck up everything awesome you have? First, the Mass Effect movie, and now this?
Why, Bioware? Why?

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Alright, colour me curious. The last anime I watched that was based on an established series was Devil May Cry, which sucked big time. The only other one I watched was the Animatrix, which was pretty enjoyable as far as I remember.
hazabaza1 said:
Bioware: why? Why, why are you trying to fuck up everything awesome you have? First, the Mass Effect movie, and now this?
Why, Bioware? Why?
It's EA, not Bioware.

Claptrap

Nov 18, 2009
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...WHY!?? WHY EA WHYYYYYY!?!?

*Ahem*, No, Just no, This wont work, I hope i wont need to watch it to understand dragon ages 2 story, I'm really not a fan of anime and so far the ones from ea i heard have been rubish, Game to film/anime/tvseris/ NEVER works.

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
Better question..why anime? If you have to do animated features, then make one; but the word "anime" just makes me think of Halo: Legends and the crap my sister watches....neither of which is a good thing...

thosta

May 4, 2009
I consider myself the optimist, yet I find it difficult to be optimistic about this.

I don't see Dragon Age as an anime.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
Playing Dragon Age makes me think of the Lord of the Rings movies. Maybe they should go for a Peter Jackson movie instead.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Hmmmmm.

I Dunno.
It could work but, like you said.
From the last few Animated Films they had...im not so sure.

Ill just haft to wait and see.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Hmm... The Dead Space film wasnt all that bad, im intrested.

But what kind of anime is it going to be? Is it a Elfen Lied style blood bath or be mainly plot driven.

Im intrested, not passing judgment yet, just hoping thye dont fuck up.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
No, no, no... This is an awful idea IMO. Why ruin an awesome game with a poor anime series? WHY?

Dok Zombie

Apr 24, 2008
This is an awful idea.

When the anime fad eventually blows over all these stupid wapanese tie-ins are going to look ridiculous. You notice how many American kids cartoons have that quasi-anime look to them now? They may be very cool and "now" at the minute, but when the US and Europe inevitably lose interest they are going to get very dated, very quickly.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
SextusMaximus said:
No, no, no... This is an awful idea IMO. Why ruin an awesome game with a poor anime series? WHY?
If you re-read the first paragraph, it's called a "anime feature film". It will not be series, it will probably be more akin to the Dead Space movie (only hopefully better).

As to the whole idea of an anime for this, I approve. The only way someone could "ruin a series" is if they made bad sequels or expansions. Even then, we still have the ORIGINAL PRODUCT which will always be badass.

Bring on the blood!

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
....oh my God. Please, I love this game, don't ruin it. There's no way in hell this'll work.