Fallout: New Vegas Switches to Steam

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Fallout: New Vegas Switches to Steam

Bethesda Softworks has revealed that the PC version of Fallout: New Vegas [http://fallout.bethsoft.com/index.html] will require activation on Steam.

As part of a Q&A series on the Steam [http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1096751-fallout-new-vegas-fan-interview/] will be mandatory at retail."

"We've implemented Steamworks in as light and unobtrusive a way as possible. Yes, you will have to install Steam when you install Fallout: New Vegas if you don't already have it. And yes, you will have to be online at the time of that initial install," he continued. "However you can install the game on as many systems as you want (with no restrictions!), and you do not have to be online to play the game after your initial activation. Not only that, but once the game has activated on Steam, you can throw out the game DVD entirely and just download the game over Steam."

The Steam requirement is especially interesting in light of the fact that Bethesda's first Fallout game, Fallout 3, was a Microsoft's [http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-us/live/pages/livejoin.aspx] struggling PC service, Bergman said, "We made the decision to use Steam after looking at all the various options out there and decided that it provided the best, least intrusive experience for PC gamers."

Gamers worried about making and using mods can also relax. "This will have no affect on mod development whatsoever," he added. "Modders will still be able to create and distribute their plugins the same way they have in the past."

Fallout: New Vegas is scheduled to come out this fall for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Hallelujah, no more GFWL for me!

Maybe even a good sale in the future for it? One can only hope.

Orhid

Apr 14, 2009
Great! Steam has amazing support and as long as they will just have the registration over steam and not jump out with DRM like Ubisoft im happy as a clam

Mr. Cuddles

Sep 21, 2009
Happy faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!

GFWL makes me the sad face.....
I mean, I bought FO3 on steam, and I need GFWL as well? Buh?

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
If that guarantees that the damn thing will have updates more often and will crash less, I'm all for it.
But it probably doesn't.
Still, achievements support - good enough.

Apr 28, 2008
Well, I still don't quite like being forced to use a system and have to activate it online, its still a lot better than Games for Windows Live.

After having to deal with it cripple the game's performance, not to mention it being awful in terms of distributing the DLC, I'll take anything but GFWL.

Still though. I'm against forcing consumers to use a platform they have no interest in using, whether or not its Steam or GFWL.

Glad to see it won't impact modding in a negative way.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
If I had a choice between GfWL and Steamworks, I'll pick Steamworks any day of the week.

Binerexis

Dec 11, 2009
I'm not planning on getting the game but it's always nice to think "Well it could be worse".

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Thank god for the mod thing.

Fallout 3 mods = Oblivion mods in a degree of awesomeness.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
A few weeks ago I would've raged at this, but I have since discovered that Steam is quite a handy little tool. So yeah, I'm completely fine with this.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
Oh thank god, I remember the shit I had to go thru to get BioShock 2 running on my PC, thank god it's moved to Steam...

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Yay, I guess. Had no problem with GFWL actually, but Steam is a-okay.

Though if this Steamworks craze will continue I think every damn PC-game that hits the market will have steamworks in the near future and that worries me.

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
I really don't know what problem people have with Steam, DRM is an inevitable consequence of publishers protecting their produce and Steam is the least intrusive of the top-grade DRM methods. I like Steam.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
The only thing that would make this better, is it if saves the games to the steam cloud... wishful thinking, I know, but a man can dream.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Yay! Now it might not crash every other second! No matter what people say, I refuse to believe steam is intrusive at all, and it most certainly is not a DRM in the usual sense.