Square Enix Melds Ninjas With Smash Bros. and Contra

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Square Enix Melds Ninjas With Smash Bros. and Contra

Square Enix has revealed Necromachina, an apocalyptic co-op ninja brawler.

Square Enix is bringing a surprise called Necromachina to E3 that involves futuristic ninjas in a post-apocalyptic world. The game was just revealed this week for Japanese release under the name Moon Diver, but has been confirmed for other regions as Necromachina.

Necromachina is a four player co-op brawler that looks like a mish-mash of Smash Bros. and Contra. Players can choose from four unique characters, including one notable female with an awesome eyepatch. After watching the game's trailer, it's not surprising she accidentally put her eye out one day.

Gameplay looks fast-paced and filled with jumping, slashing, climbing, and what appear to be explosive team-up attacks. The giant bosses definitely don't look like pushovers, including a fiery phoenix, massive bull, and weird spaceship-looking thingie. The trailer's music sure makes me want to scream "Mortal Kombaaaat!"

Necromachina will be a digital download released through Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation Network for now.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I am so going to buy that. Looks great! Ninjas are always cool. Not as cool as pirates, though. Now that would have made for a great game. But since that female ninja had an eyepatch, I''m counting her as an honorary buccaneer.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
It certainly looks good, but if I didn't buy Brawl I probably won't buy this one either.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Intresting...I will wait to hear more on this but so far it has my attention. Loved both the aforementioned so see no reason why a combination wouldn't be epic!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
certainly looks cool, wonder if it will be good or not, suppose it doesnt really matter, my stupid 360 hard drive is almost full and Im reluctant to del anything from it

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Meh looks like brawl for people who think nintendo characters will inflict the plague upon them but hey, it looks sleek, pretty, fun characters. I ain't gonna knock it til I try it.

Or I hear HORRIBLE, UNTHINKABLE RUMOURS.

Like; "this game murders puppies"

Seatownstriker

May 19, 2010
Worgen said:
certainly looks cool, wonder if it will be good or not, suppose it doesnt really matter, my stupid 360 hard drive is almost full and Im reluctant to del anything from it
Go get a thumbdrive with a few Gigs on it. You can use those now to save data. Up to 16 Gigs.

Yosato

Apr 5, 2010
"SQUARE ENIX is bringing a surprise called Necromachina to E3 that involves FUTURISTIC NINJAS in a POST-APOCALYPTIC world."

That is the single greatest thing I've ever heard, that sentence alone was enough to make me follow and inevitably buy this game, and that was before I saw that epic trailer

VirusHunter

Nov 19, 2009
I don't really see why this has anything in common with Smash Bros./Contra (Besides Co-Op) but I'm still buying it.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Okay, that looks damn sweet. It actually looks a lot like a 4 player version of Strider 2.. which would only be better if it had 4 Striders in it.

I'm also really not sure why people are saying this looks like Smash Bros. Yes, it has 4 people on the screen at one time but that's about the only similarity I'm seeing.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Queen Michael said:
I am so going to buy that. Looks great! Ninjas are always cool. Not as cool as pirates, though. Now that would have made for a great game. But since that female ninja had an eyepatch, I''m counting her as an honorary buccaneer.
Pirates and ninjas are cool, but they both pale to the awesome sauce that elves bring to the table.

Warrior Irme

May 30, 2008
4 player strider makes it's return... wait you mean that big swinging blade isn't coming from strider. This doesn't make sense.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
The trailer's music sure makes me want to scream "Mortal Kombaaaat!"
Glad I'm not the only one.
Anyway, looks interesting. However if it's only on XBoxLive, I'll have to pass on it.

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
VirusHunter said:
I don't really see why this has anything in common with Smash Bros./Contra (Besides Co-Op) but I'm still buying it.
It looks EXACTLY like the Subspace Emissary from Brawl (the single player story) other than that I don't know where the Contra fits in.

Can't wait to see Ninja SSE.... I mean...Necromachinamasterhand