Unseen StarCraft II Trailer Dunking At NBA Finals

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Unseen StarCraft II Trailer Dunking At NBA Finals

A trailer showing brand new footage of StarCraft II will be airing during the NBA finals.

What do StarCraft II [http://www.amazon.com/Starcraft-II-Wings-Liberty-Pc/dp/B000ZKA0J6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276193335&sr=8-1] and basketball have in common? They're both pretty popular, I guess? This could be the logic behind a promotion between the two that will see a new StarCraft II trailer played for the first time during tonight's NBA finals game.

During the second quarter, a thirty-second trailer will be shown that is cut from cinematic sequences not released to the public before. If it seems odd to do this during a basketball game, just think about how StarCraft II is easily going to be a massive seller for years to come, so it'll probably be a great advertisement.

The trailer should be interesting to all StarCraft II fans even if they've already had their fill of the game's beta. It's said to feature the voice-overs of two iconic StarCraft II characters. Could one be Jim Raynor? Kerrigan? Arcturus Mengsk?

Who they could be is anyone's guess. We'll find out at 9 p.m. eastern time tonight on ABC when the Celtics take on the Lakers in what is the fourth NBA final game, so set those digital video recorder devices. Go **insert preferred sports team here** !

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Go Celtics!

What? I love Boston.

Anyhoo, I guess this is kinda like the Dante's Inferno spot on the superbowl a few months ago?

Aenir

Mar 26, 2009
Even though I live in Massachusetts, I don't care at all about sports. So I'll just hope someone posts it online. Or maybe I'll try and catch it. /shrug

Brainst0rm

Apr 8, 2010
It's always a thrill to see video games I know of advertised on TV :D It just makes me feel, I dunno, more legitimate. Doubtlessly it will find it's way on to YouTube, so i'll just wait until then.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wow o.o Thats unusual! Well, who says sporting fans cant like epic Strategy games!

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
ill catch it on youtube. basketball bores me :p

interesting their choice of target audience. But i guess the NBA finals still get high ratings

IxionIndustries

Mar 18, 2009
Yeah, because these dedicated sports fans totally want to play a fucking RTS.

Their trying to get word of it out there. You know, show a bunch of flashy scenes of space marines shooty shooting aliens, and BAM! It's just like Halo! Let's buy it!
And then, ACTIVISION-Blizzard gets 100 bucks from some sap.

Oh well.. Blizz is dead to me anyways, so I guess their marketing strategies are no more crazy than freaking EA's.

MellowFellow

Feb 14, 2010
I have noticed that more videogames are showing trailers during sporting events, like Call of Duty Blacks Ops or whatever it is called had a trailer during the eastern conference finals I believe. Also I think Mass Effect 2 had a trailer during one of the conference championship games during the NFL playoffs.

I might watch the game, but I will be watching the game for the game not starcraft 2.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Ladies and gentlemen, that is the power of e-Sports. Don't be suprised if in 10 years time, they show an NBA commercial during the intermission...of a StarCraft II final. =)

Anyway, I think people are kind of exaggerating the fact that a video game commercial is being shown during an important sport event. Yes, hardcore sports fans will be there, but is a grand final of a popular basketball league really only of interest to them? I am preety willing to wager that a lot of people that do not normally watch basketball or sports in general will watch this final.

Besides, just beacuse someone likes sports doesn't preclude them from playing video games. And for many people, StarCraft is a classic and they would certainly be interested in a sequel.

Overall, while this move does seem a bit gaudy, it is undeniably good publicity for the game. Considering the state of PC gaming, a platform exclusive (well, almost; it's coming out for the Mac as well) needs all the publicity it can get.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Millions of people watch sporting events, is why. It's huuggee to get your Advert on a major sporting event. The Superbowl of Commercials, obviously, comes during the Superbowl.

sune26

Not sure what to put here
Apr 13, 2009
Not sure but could this video be it? I sure have never seen it before
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCqPnii21g0