Help Sony Fight Cancer With MLB 10: The Show

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Help Sony Fight Cancer With MLB 10: The Show

Sony is donating $10 from every purchased copy of MLB 10: The Show [http://us.playstation.com/games-and-media/games/mlb-10-the-show-ps3.html] to help fund cancer research, giving baseball fans a chance to get their game on and help out a worthy cause at the same time.

Beginning June 13, $10 from every copy of MLB 10: The Show sold will be given to Major League Baseball [http://www.standup2cancer.org/], runs until July 10.

A charitable program of the Entertainment Industry Foundation, Stand Up To Cancer offers grants to "scientific dream teams" which focus on specific types of cancers in an effort to develop new, "personalized" methods of treatment. Other research grants are aimed at "cutting-edge cancer research with strong potential to impact patient care within a short timeframe - projects that are high-risk but could also be high-impact." Major League Baseball made a start-up donation of $10 million to SU2C when it launched and the group has raised more than $100 million for cancer research since.

Philanthropy aside, MLB 10: The Show looks like a pretty solid game, putting together a Metacritic score [http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/mlb10theshow?q=mlb%2010:%20the%20show] of 91 since its debut in March. It's not often that you have a chance to do a good thing while you're sitting on your couch playing videogames, so if you're a baseball fan and a PS3 owner, now's the time to step up to the plate.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, I suppose supporting good causes is always epic! Goes to show us gamers are not all against helping others!

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Karma points falling from the sky and Sony was walking naked with 12 buckets. Excellent move.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Couldn't they just lower the price of the game by $10 and let me decide whether I want to give to charity or not?

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
Cancer helping sony guilt trip people into buying a bland game, marketing at its best, on the other hand it may help sony "fight cancer" by getting people to buy the game that would normal not even bother donating, but overall after all the fees and etc that $10 will most likely end up being 2 or 3

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Well as a UK resident I would like to check this out and donate to charity. but alas I'm not willing to pay import prices and it probably wont get released here.

Oh well maybe next year Ill be back in the US

afaceforradio

Jul 29, 2009
I'm all for research to help find a more permanent and easier treatment for Cancer (I have it, after all) but I hate these 'buy our product, donate to charity!' things because you know that the charity get a remarkably low percentage of the funds.

I'd rather actually put a couple of quid into a collector's tub at a charity function, with those things they tend to get most of the money they collect, if not all of it.