Mario Kart Text Chat Will Be Limited

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Mario Kart Text Chat Will Be Limited

Nintendo has said that the upcoming Mario Kart Wii will feature limited chat options that will exclude not only audio chat but the ability to type freely into text chat.

Gamers will choose from a number of predetermined phrases, sort of like the quick commands available in the Battlefield series, minus the vocalization or any VOIP support.

As a console that boasts a family- and kid-friendly orientation, Nintendo is likely keen to make sure that the Wii remains free of the posturing and hurling of insults and epithets that plague Halo and like titles on the PS3 and Xbox 360. But it also means the Wii remains the only one of the three consoles to lack voice support in multiplayer.

Medal of Honors: Heroes 2 did have full text messaging support, whereas Super Smash Brothers Brawl did not.

Source: IGN.com [http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/02/28/mario-kart-wii-text-chat-limited-to-pre-determined-phrases]

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Does this really matter? I mean, the best part about Mario Kart was talking crap to the guy sitting next to you! I usually mute everyone I'm playing against on Xbox Live anyways.