Gandalf Confident The Hobbit Will Start Filming This Year

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Gandalf Confident The Hobbit Will Start Filming This Year

Sir Ian McKellen, also known as Gandalf the Gray, believes that the second half of his year will involve hobbits.

Sir Ian McKellen is confident that work will begin on the beleaguered big screen adaptation of The Hobbit later this year. Speaking on the Fitzy, Claire and Jules radio show in Adelaide, Australia, while promoting his current play Waiting for Godot, McKellen said: "It's in production. The sets are ready, the script's ready and the movie is going to be cast this month. Fans are not to get worried. The films will get made and I suspect we'll start shooting the end of this year."

The Hobbit has hit a number of problems recently. Earlier this month, director Guillermo Del Toro bowed out, and MGM's current financial difficulties, the same ones that delayed the new James Bond movie indefinitely [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100107-James-Bond-Finally-Meets-Defeat] back in April, are preventing things from going forward. With all the difficulties the movie faces, the idea that filming will start in the next few months seems like a long shot.

It's also worth mentioning that Sir Ian has made predictions about when filming would start before, and keeps having to revise them. While I think most of us hope that he's right, it's probably best to see what happens over the next few months before getting our hopes up.

Source: Sci-Fi Wire [http://scifiwire.com/2010/06/the-hobbit.php]

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Oh can we just have a good film of epic proportions? The last one I saw of such Calibre was Kick-Ass but I will need another one.

Calumon: The Hobbit doesn't deserve to be made into a film, but perhaps it would make a nice coaster for my drink!

This was a Quote from the recent YuGiOh episode I saw. I have nothing against the Hobbit. But don't get me started on those damn dirty elves! So mystical...my ass!

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
I hope filming starts soon but i don't want it to be rushed.
I loved the Hobbit and i don't want it to be ruined because it was rushed out to appease the fans.

I can be patient.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
Oh can we just have a good film of epic proportions? The last one I saw of such Calibre was Kick-Ass but I will need another one.

Calumon: The Hobbit doesn't deserve to be made into a film, but perhaps it would make a nice coaster for my drink!

This was a Quote from the recent YuGiOh episode I saw. I have nothing against the Hobbit. But don't get me started on those damn dirty elves! So mystical...my ass!
Your going to use a movie film...as a coaster for your drink?
...again i say.
Cracka be trippin.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
I just want this movie!! Stop pushing it back! This was my favorite book for the longest time and I'm sick of waiting!

JUST DON'T RUIN IT!

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
If they cancel the hobbit, I will... I will... I will do something bad. So they had better make this movie, or I'll do something bad

Shanannara

Apr 7, 2010
It can take as long as it likes provided it's better than LOTR. That was shockingly awful and Peter Jackson should be punished for it.

Donkeycow

Apr 1, 2010
what kinda drugs are you on? the LOTR films were fantastic (even if #3 was sorta cheesy) i'm assuming you haven't seen the extended versions, and if that is the case, your foul comment MIGHT be forgiven.

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
NeedAUserName said:
Filming is never late, nor is it early, it starts precisely when it means to.
Love it =]

OT: I'm looking forward to it. Jackson may be on board again for it, so it should be good.

GameGoddess101

Jun 11, 2009
NO! STOP!! ABORT! DO NOT PASS GO! DO NOT MAKE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!

It would be a BAD idea to make this movie!! As much as I would LOVE to a see a big-budget live-action The Hobbit, it would be a bad idea at this point. Think about it-- it would be successful because of the overall success of the LOTR trilogy. Yes, we geeks would go see it because we liked the book, but the general populace would go "Oh, more LOTR stuff! Awesome!" Think about the tone of the separate books. The Hobbit was more whimsical and other than Golem, very kid-friendly. The Lord of the Rings was a bitter-sweet epic and some of the darkest stuff you can ever hope to see in literature, which translated pretty well onto the big screen. Most people will be expecting more of that, so it will either be a jarring shift in tone at best, and having to darken the Hobbit at worst.

meowman

Jan 25, 2010
NeedAUserName said:
Filming is never late, nor is it early, it starts precisely when it means to.
Ninja'd! Damn!
OK... how about this?
"I will take this movie forward... though I do not know the way."
No? No. Damn.

But I think this movie will either have to be like 'The Hobbit', a children's story, and dissapoint the people who saw the movie but aren't proper fans of the books, or will have to become dark and piercing like the LotR books to meet the expectations of the movie fans who only know the Tolkien books as such and dissapoint those who hope it holds true to the books. Still, I'm looking forward to it :)

EDIT: i just realised I was ninja'd on that bit to. Nevermind.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Lets hope tjhey can get the budget together for it soon...I really want to see what they can make of it

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I would not mind if George Lucas purchased The Hobbit rights from MGM so that he could let Peter Jackson direct The Hobbit. I understand MGM is in a financial crisis but sooner or later they need to resolve the crisis and let Jackson make The Hobbit.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
GameGoddess101 said:
NO! STOP!! ABORT! DO NOT PASS GO! DO NOT MAKE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!

It would be a BAD idea to make this movie!! As much as I would LOVE to a see a big-budget live-action The Hobbit, it would be a bad idea at this point. Think about it-- it would be successful because of the overall success of the LOTR trilogy. Yes, we geeks would go see it because we liked the book, but the general populace would go "Oh, more LOTR stuff! Awesome!" Think about the tone of the separate books. The Hobbit was more whimsical and other than Golem, very kid-friendly. The Lord of the Rings was a bitter-sweet epic and some of the darkest stuff you can ever hope to see in literature, which translated pretty well onto the big screen. Most people will be expecting more of that, so it will either be a jarring shift in tone at best, and having to darken the Hobbit at worst.
Being capture beneath a mountain by Goblins that want to eat you, fighting a dragon that torches half the village, being held prisoner by elves, giant spiders trying to liquify and eat your freinds...

Hobbit had plenty of dark. It was more of a smaller, focused adventure then an "everybody's screwed!" epic.