First Impressions: Microsoft Kinect

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
First Impressions: Microsoft Kinect

Microsoft uses Cirque Du Soleil to show off its latest motion control technology at E3.

I wasn't sure what to expect. After an interminably long line outside USC's Galen Center in downtown Los Angeles, members of the videogame press and other notaries were ushered inside and asked to don white faux-silk smocks. I thought that these over shoulder-padded "ponchos" were to protect our clothes from water or mess a la Gallagher or New York's De La Guarda. We felt somewhat ridiculous, garbed as we were in white material, but we allowed ourselves to be brought into their world.

Inside, the Galen Center was transformed from a basketball arena into a jungle showcase. On the floor, Cirque Du Soleil performers strutted their stuff, clowning with ingenious props (such as a plush "telescope" the lens of which lit up like a spotlight) and drew people out of the crowd into their mischievous, elfin world. The motif of leaves and branches was everywhere, and the performers reminded me of nothing more than the Brownies in Willow. What all this had to do with Project Natal, I don't know, but it was entertaining to watch a man in a gorilla suit prance around a bunch of stuck-up videogame journalists.

After a terribly long time, the "show" began. A very loud voice told us that a long series of mechanical computer inputs had alienated most of mankind and that it was now time for the human input to reign supreme. With true Cirque pomp and circumstance, a boy rode in on a fake elephant and ascended a series of rocks, playing games using an Xbox controller. The last rock was revealed to be a sphere made to look exactly like the Xbox logo. A manifestation of the boy was projected on a white screen, jumping and moving his hands in time with actual movements. The boy asked, "What is your name?" The screen showed a jumble of letters which were finally revealed to read "Kinect."

The boy was then beckoned to join a family at play and the real demonstration began. With no introduction, a series of games were shown in succession, controlled by the family in a white room. First was a rafting game, where the kids could lean and jump to score points as the raft went over ramps and fell down waterfalls. Next was an obstacle game that had the family dodging bumpers and reaching to grab balloons to score points. Track and field events had them running and jumping hurdles while a racing game used two hands extended to steer and leans to perform jumps and tricks.

The most exciting game shown, at least for me, was Star Wars. The "father" of the family, Mark, swung his arms as if he was wielding a lightsaber and cut through storm troopers on the planet of Daboo. Reaching out his hand performed force powers that knocked down troopers and even ships until he was met with a terrifying foe: Darth Vader. Mark and Vader faced off, clashing lightsabers and that segment of the demonstration ended to the only genuine enthusiasm I heard in the crowd all night.

There were a few more impressions of games shown, including a yoga instruction and a dance game, but they were only impressions. I left the performance feeling that it wasn't quite a dance show and it wasn't quite a press conference, but some weird mash-up. Microsoft certainly displayed its monetary resources by making such a show happen for just one performance, although, with the heavy amount of cameras and a generous TV schedule (check your local listings!), it's likely it will try to get as much mileage out of the show as it can.

Oh and those ridiculous smocks? The shoulder pads all lit up for the finale in different color patterns, based purely on where we were standing or sitting. The catch was that there was no assigned seating; the placement of the audience was purely random, yet the patterns shown were not. It was a simple, yet amazing display of the technology behind Natal, er, Kinect. And if Microsoft could do it to impress a bunch of videogame journalists on a Sunday night, then it might just have the moxie to make it happen for the rest of the world.

Keep track of our E3 2010 coverage here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e32010].

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
The fact that the presenters were "a family at play" pretty much says it all.
Us, gamers, aren't really welcome there, are they?
Still, the Star Wars thing sounds genuinely entertaining.

smithy1234

Dec 12, 2008
Hooray for family casual gaming!

Actually, I think i'll stay secluded in my room playing Gears of War 2.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, they certainly drew the families in for it, thats sure. What they seem to be targeting at the moment.

As it looks so far, a comparison to the Wii, perhaps...and thats all. I still havnt seen anything from the release that makes me want to leap up in excitement

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Pretty much my thoughts, with the sole possible exception of that Star Wars game, I fail to see how any of this is remotely relevent to serious gamers.

Though I admit, seeing a family at play gleefully going about a survival horror game would be amusing.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Doxcology said:
Hooray for family casual gaming!

Actually, I think i'll stay secluded in my room playing Gears of War 2.
Ditto.

OT : The star wars (ars warts) game sounded the only vaguely interesting. The rest just seemed like a expensive version of Wii Sports resort.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
I don't know why but for some reason I find the word 'Kinect' absolutely hilarious. It's even dumber than 'Wii'

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
The Star Wars clip they put up on Kotaru is hilarious. It's clearly fake, there's nothing in it that indicates what the gameplay will be like, and games on Kinetic are 100% dependent on good gameplay.

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
I know this isn't all that important, but Kinect? Seriously? Why Kinect? Who thought an incorrect spelling of connect would be a good name? How is that even relevant to the concept?

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
In case anyone's curious:
http://kotaku.com/5562639/get-a-look-at-kinects-star-wars-game?skyline=true&s=i

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Footage of the Star Wars clip clearly shows the on screen action happen before the guy moves. Either it was a pre-rendered scene or Microsoft have ironed out the lag issues so well that they can read your movements before you make them. (believe it or not this is possible.)

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
>.>

The performance made little sense, IMHO...

But still, that light up thing isn't that hard, all you need is a bluetooth grid and several colours of LEDs, not all that impressive.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
I seem to be the only one here who's excited for this, I quite like the idea of expanding technology and finding new ways to play computer games. I guess I'm not hardcore enough or I'm too casual, names thrown around a lot these days. Well I like the idea anyway... I just get a little annoyed with how... close minded people seem to be about these leaps, every body seems to just be dismissing it and calling those that don't "Not real gamers" because they like the idea of playing games without a joystick.

WeAreJimbo

May 17, 2010
For God's sake don't let the wife and kids see this, the Xbox and PS3 are the only peace I get at the moment!

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
I love it when a company turns their back on their core audience.

Why are they going after a dwindling audience?

The people that are MOST likely to use this kind of thing already have a wii and for most of them that's all they'll want. I would be amazed that current Wii owners even bothered buying a Wii 2 if it ever came out, because to them there is very little reason to justify the extra purchase.

It is quite blatantly an attempt by Microsoft to try and get a slice of Nintendo's pie.

I honestly fail to see how this will improve gaming.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
*waits to see what Peter Molyneux does with it for Fable 3*

What? I love the Fable games. I'm not asking you to like them. Don't hate.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Straying Bullet said:
Am I experiencing some kind of deja vu? I think I saw this article before, on Escapist..Or somewhere. - Goes back to lurk. -
Susan Arendt did an article with regards to an elephant TV and Cirque du Soleil.

Anyone else creeped out by microsoft marketing? its like the old PlayStation adverts, only creepier.

"whats your name?"
"lecutus, resistance is futile"