E3 2010: MGS: Rising Introduces Brutal Watermelon Slicing

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
E3 2010: MGS: Rising Introduces Brutal Watermelon Slicing

Saving the world takes a backseat when there are watermelons to be sliced.

The first gameplay footage of Metal Gear Solid: Rising from Metal Gear Solid 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101327-Liveblog-Microsoft-E3-2010-Media-Briefing].

As explained during the conference, the game is based around Zan-Datsu, or "cutting" and "taking." Raiden busts apart enemies that look like bosses from Mega Man, takes their spines, and absorbs the energy contained in the spines into his body. Then his eye glows red in what appears to be the only way the new Raiden can smile.

He'll be brutally dicing regular human enemies too, not to mention columns, cars, and other environmental objects. When I say brutally, I mean extremely brutally, sometimes turning his foes into cold cuts. The action looks quite amazing.

At one point in the footage the gameplay goes into "bullet time," which should really be called "sword time," giving players the ability to choose the specific angle of Raiden's cuts. This is very useful for killing enemies, but even more so for cutting fruit. The trailer ends with Raiden slicing up a watermelon, possibly to serve at a block party. Hope I'm invited! I love watermelon laced with the blood of hundreds of foes.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Doesn't look like Metal Gear, looks like Ninja Raiden. Colour me unimpressed.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009

That looks awesome.

This might be the first time I've ever wanted to play a MGS game. The faux stealth shooter gameplay never really grabbed me the way it did so many people, but an awesome ninja slice 'em up? DO WANT!

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
That's actually aroused me. Such slicing action has been needed for ages.

Dec 14, 2009
This looks good, but if all the game is offering is a slicing simulator than I might give it a pass. It needs to have some solid gameplay and a good control scheme in order for the slicing gimmick to have any draw for me.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
I remember a time when the Metal Gear series was about stealth. All I get from this is Kojima jumping up and down waving his arms and saying "See?! Raiden is awesome!!!!"

bigsby

Jul 16, 2009
Well it throws everything that ever made the MGS series great out the window, that ofcourse doesnt mean it has to be bad.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
The watermelon slicing made me laugh when I watched it. Don't think it sold me on the game, though.

The Seldom Seen Kid

Apr 28, 2010
Why is this considered entertainment?
Personnally, I don't see much appeal in running around the streets slicing people in half.
I can't even begin to imagine how I might explain the deeply involving story, meaningful characters and morals and amazing graphics to somebody in the room while I'm furiously waving my hands at the TV for the sole purpose of cutting people up.
[small] Now, a cooking simulator, however...[/small]

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I don't think this should be called Metal Gear Solid Rising, unless it features Solid Snake in at least a major supporting role, like MGS2 did. Really, if it's only Raiden, they should just call it Metal Gear Rising.

P.S. Thanks

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Looks akin to Bayonetta with emphasis on precision slices instead of combo multiplayer and excessive gunfire.

Inzomniack

Apr 3, 2010
Adzma said:
I remember a time when the Metal Gear series was about stealth. All I get from this is Kojima jumping up and down waving his arms and saying "See?! Raiden is awesome!!!!"
You make a good point. That trailer leaves me wondering.... was the watermelon Nuclear? Was it the new Metal Gear and thats why it was destroyed?

What's happening in this guys head?

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
I demand a demo of watermelon cutting. I'm serious, just put us in a room with a watermelon and a table. Plz.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
I don't follow. Where's, y'know...anything having to do with Metal Gear? It looks like some mishmash of Crysis and Ninja Gaiden.
scnj said:
...looks like Ninja Raiden..
This man here is officially promoted to the rank of Punnery Sergeant-- make us proud, soldier.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Adzma said:
...But Kojima actually has very little involvement in this game. This was given to a different studio to work on as he and his team worked on Peace Walker. While he does have some more involvement then he does with the new Castlevania game, it's apparently not that much more.

Apologies if I was rude, as it wasn't my intent.

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
Looks more interesting than the last few MGS games. Even if it's not MGS-like. If it's on 360, I'll rent it.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
The whole absorption part in the cinematic made me think Samus absorbing the phazon in Metroid Prime 3 for some reason.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Intresting...feels like a departure from the norm...pretty cool!

Rensenhito

Jan 28, 2009
I think I'm liking this. I'm a slut for good physics systems, and this looks like it's gonna be AMAZING.