Visceral Promises Better PC Controls in Dead Space 2

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Visceral Promises Better PC Controls in Dead Space 2

Visceral's Steve Papoutsis says the studio has heard the outcry from unhappy PC gamers and is working to improve the mouse-and-keyboard control setup in Dead Space 2 [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=%22dead+space+2%22&x=0&y=0].

CVG [http://deadspace.ea.com/]. "Even if you're a PC guy, if you have one, stick [your gamepad] in your PC and play the game with that."

But Visceral [http://www.visceralgames.com/] is "focused on trying to improve" the PC controls in the follow-up, he said. "This time out we have people dedicated on working to improve the controls for PC players," he continued. "Out of the box, we're hopeful the PC version this time will respond a lot better and that people will be a lot more comfortable and happier with the controls. That is feedback we've heard and we're certainly trying to address it."

Personally, I thought the PC controls were just fine, but I'm not about to complain if Visceral makes the sequel even better. Dead Space 2 is slated for release in January 2011 on the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

AceAngel

May 12, 2010
I never understood the issue with controls. They were fine for me, even Bionic Commando was fine.

Developers should just enable people to customize them, that's all. Will save alot of hassle for all those who like to complain about it.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
The default (and unchangable because they are so good) key settings:

Shoot: Shift

Use: Space

Move Left: T

Move Right: <

Move back: Delete

Move forward: Command+esc

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
I never understood the whining about the controls, either. Sure they were new, but once you learn them, they work just fine.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, I am sure PC gamers for it will be pleased.

I never played first one on PC, but, heard pretty horrific...

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
AceAngel said:
I never understood the issue with controls. They were fine for me, even Bionic Commando was fine.

Developers should just enable people to customize them, that's all. Will save alot of hassle for all those who like to complain about it.
Technically the problem was that the ingame V-sync (enabled by default) capped the frame rate at 30FPS and as a port it was double buffered by default, for v-sync to work properly the game must be tripple buffered, the result was laggy mouse movement

The solution play without v-sync or force v-sync and tripple buffering from outside of the game

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
I thought the mouse aim in Dead space was god damn bad, that when I first played it I couldn't shoot. I had to beat things to death with my laser cutter.

I'm only sort of able to play it now, as I have a mouse with a built in sensitivity adjuster.

It was fucking pathetic, and if I could I'd demand a refund when I initially played it.

AceAngel

May 12, 2010
jamesworkshop said:
AceAngel said:

Technically the problem was that the ingame V-sync (enabled by default) capped the frame rate at 30FPS and as a port it was double buffered by default, for v-sync to work properly the game must be tripple buffered, the result was laggy mouse movement

The solution play without v-sync or force v-sync and tripple buffering from outside of the game
I understand where you're coming from mate, however, I thought the issue people complained about was the layout and not the V-Sync thingy with the article.

Naturally, I'm speaking about the article right now.

Veldrenor

Jan 5, 2010
Slayer_2 said:
Sure they were new, but once you learn them, they work just fine.
That's the problem. They were new, which is the absolute worst thing you can do from a human interface design standpoint. We've been taught by game after game after game what the control scheme for a PC game should be, it's become ingrained that a certain control scheme is what's "right" and "natural." As soon as you try to do something that doesn't fit with what is expected you're fighting human nature, and that's a fight you can't win. Screws have to tighten clockwise, can-openers have to cut the metal disc out of the top, and "left click" has to be "primary weapon fire." A good example would be the Microsoft Word 2007 "ribbon" menu. It's technically a better, more efficient menu system than what came before, but it's universally despised because it operates in a manner different than what everyone is used to.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The mouse sensitivity was a bit wacko (and much, much worse if you left VSync on) but I got used to it. My far greater complaint was the inability to map anything to the side buttons (or even the middle button) on my mouse. It's 2010, lots of people have multi-button gaming mice, PLAN FOR IT.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
I played with mouse and keyboard, and like all shooters, can't imagine playing with a controller.

cauby

Apr 27, 2010
The control in the PC version is bad,but it wasn't such a big problem to me.But I run into some comments about people who are left handed and couldn't play the game properly because of the lack of key mapping,so ti will be nice if they would fix this and the slow aim using the mouse.The only way to fix the mouse in the PC is to turn Vertical Sync on,which makes the game take a really long time to load (whereas with VSync off,it simply doesn't have loading time).

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Let's not forget the mouse felt like it was fucking drunk. When I go to look at something I want the character to IMMEDIATELY turn to it, not take it as a suggestion to leisurely turn to where I want when he feels like it.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
I played through it on PC just fine, mind you it seems my control defaults were different than some people's...somehow. That said, more PC support is always nice.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Here's a thought...release an update to fix the controls? WOW man I'm gonna make money off this patching and community support idea!